Clark's Shoes

2.4

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in February 2010.

Manager asked questions based off experience, work history, work ethic, willingness to help

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in September 2009.

I was first contacted by phone and the initial interview was scheduled for 3 days later. The interview was very informal as it took place in the backroom among the shoe inventory. There were very few questions asked; most of the interview consisted of the manager explaining what the job duties were. We ended the interview after I was given an opportunity to ask questions and then 3 days later i was scheduled for a 2nd interview with the district manager. The questions were non-specific about past work experiences.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. I didn't expect the interviewer to behave so non-chalantly. I didn't expect him to not use any of the traditional interviewing methods such as STAR, or behavioral methods.   Answer Question

I felt like I was mislead because the position advertised on the internet wasn't the job they were actually hiring for. It was advertised as a management position with a salary of $35,000 a year but in actuality it was more of a training position with the opportunity to be promoted after a 6 month training period.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newton, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in April 2009.

For the first interview I met with two managers. The interview was very laid back and focused more on my background and personality. I was asked several situational questions such as "give an example of a time that you were able to overcome a challenge or an obstacle at the workplace."For the second interview I was asked to come to HQ to meet with a SR. HR manager. We spoke more about the job and tasks that I'd be doing. After the interview I was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was limited. I think that they gave a fair offer from the start.

Assistant Manager Trainee Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in June 2011.

I received a phone call from the store manager scheduling an initial interview, which was informal and conducted on one of the benches in the main traffic area of the Mall. We discussed my previous experience as well as the job I was applying for, specifically necessary skills and expectations. I felt comfortable and at ease with this manager, and after our approximately 30 minute discussion she indicated that her initial impression was that I would be right for this job. She told me she would be in touch with her District Manager and would request a further interview with him. She said he would be in touch in a couple of days. That was on a Tuesday. She called me a day or two later to inform me of the interview date and time. I me with the District Manager the following Tuesday, the interview lasting just over an hour. We talked about previous jobs and education as well as my future goals, financial needs and willingness to relocate. We also discussed the company policies, staffing needs, employee expectations and future plans for expansion. The DM told me he had several other applicants to see but he would get back to me in a couple of days. Three days later he called and offered me the position and told me he had also hired another applicant and that we would be in training together.

Interview Questions
    • Occasionally when the question of transfer arises, a person might initially agree they would be willing to move to another city just to get a job offer but then when the time comes to move they are unwilling to do so. Are you just saying you're willing to transfer for the purpose of getting the job?   View Answer
    I was aksed what income level would meet my immediate needs and when I offered this information was told that this income was do-able. My base pay and commission was calculated based on my figures.

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in April 2011.

I was given a one on one interview with the Assistant Store Manager. It was basically just a conversation, fairly personal, yet professional. Easy to dress, business-casual, NO DENIM/JEANS...even though they sell Desert Boots and Wallabees, jeans are strictly prohibited from the dress code. Just pay attention to what current employees are wearing. Wear your best Clarks or Bostonians if you have them. If you don't, consider picking up a pair pre-interview (check the outlets for great buys). You'll get a free pair of your choice on your first day of work, but you'll do well to own at least 3-4 pair because you can't wear anything else to work there. For guys, tie is ok, but not needed. Make sure your shoes and belt match, and your shirt is tucked in neatly. Ladies, be modest. Don't wear 4-inch pumps or anything pointy. Bright colors are good, and encouraged on the sales floor.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember...Maybe it was, "How do you feel about selling handbags?"   View Answer
    Pay was non-negotiable (part-time), straight commission. Days off were negotiable, and schedule was flexible, especially for students.

Global Creative Director Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in August 2010.

They interviewed me for this position and then underwent a restructuring at the same time, and the position was put on hold. I was intrigued by this company and it's location (a small town, not in London) and it's brand history and personality seemed like it would be a great fit. I still dream of having the opportunity to work and live there.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the challenge of providing creative solutions for different countries/cultures?   Answer Question

Shop Assistant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in March 2010.

I took in a CV to Clarks and around 6 months later I received a phone call inviting me in for an interview.
    For my interview, the manager read me the questions from the application form and wrote down what I said.
    Some of those questions were:
    What do you know about Clarks?
    What is fashionable right now?
    What are your strengths and weaknesses?
    When have you seen something that needed improving and improved it? What did you do?
    When have you needed to work in a team? Were you good at it?
    Do you have any sales experience?
    After the interview he asked me if I had any questions. I asked how many people I was in competition with. The answer was 11. I then asked how I would be contacted to hear if I was successful or not. The answer was if I was successful he would phone me and if I wasn't I would receive a letter. He then offered to give me a tour of the premises. I said I'd wait until I was successful, and made a joke about wanting to hear from him next via the telephone rather than through the post.
    I got the call a week later.

This is a £6 an hour shop job, there's no negotiation process. :]

Etail Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in May 2008.

walked into store, asked for job, got application form, got interview following week

no negotiating

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clark's Shoes in January 2008.

You get there and there are a group of you - maybe about 30 individuals. They divide you into groups of 5 so that there are about 5/6 groups. Each group is rotated around the interviewers therefore each interview interviews a different aspect of the job requirements (e.g. sales skills, 1:1 interview, presentation, personality test)