Clean Water Action Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015

1.7

"Summer" Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Clean Water Action.

Interviewed for the "marketing internship" come to find its not really an internship. They just need people to knock on doors so they made it up. The description of the internship and what I actually would have been doing did not match up. When they finally revealed this to me they were pushy in having me come back again for another. Felt deceived and it wasted a lot of my time.

Field Canvasser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Clean Water Action in January 2015.

The interviewing process wasn't difficult at all. I applied online on their website as a field canvasser and was given a call the next day about coming in for an interview. I set up an interview the next day available. The interview was short and concise, basically answering some questions about yourself that I don't feel really related to the job. Afterwards, I was given the opportunity to go on an observational interview. This was basically just a day out in the field shadowing a field manager and learning the basic "rap" of what you say door to door. After the day out, I was brought into the office and asked if I wanted to stay on board.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question would be asking if you know anything about the company.   View Answer

Field Canvasser Interview

This was a really laid back and short interview. Just make sure you have looked over the website to understand the mission of the organization and can speak to why you are interested in the job. You should also be able to demonstrate your ability to communicate effectively with people; if you have any professional/volunteer experience with outreach make sure to mention it.

Interview Questions
    • What did you see on our website that interested you the most in our organization?   Answer Question

Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online – interviewed at Clean Water Action in April 2014.

The initial interview allows the Canvass Director to meet you face-to-face and talk about your background. The 2nd interview, if offered, allows you to spend a day with a senior staff member to see if you'd like the job and how you handle yourself. If hired, there are ten days of paid training, and various goals to meet along the way for fundraising.

Interview Questions
    Nope. Standards are standards, and you make your own bonus pay. It's all on you.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Montclair, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Montclair, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Clean Water Action in April 2014.

The company does a great job of making the job look appealing. It is complete bogus. They want you to go door to door and collect money from people. They make it seem as if you will make great money but that is only if u collect great money.

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Clean Water Action.

I spoke with someone in the local Philadelphia office about an internship and was offered one over the phone on the spot. The process was easy and they were eager to bring me on.

Field Canvasser Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Clean Water Action.

After submitting my resume on Craigslist, they called me and chatted with me for about 10 minutes and asked if I wanted to come into the office for an interview. Came in the next day or so for an interview that lasted about 20-30 minutes with the field manager which went well. Then I came in for "observation day" where you observe a field trainer knock on people's doors and go through the rap, you can ask them lots of questions, they go through the rap with you on a couple doors and then for the last hour or so you go do it on your own. If your trainer recommends you then you can start training. Once you are a trainee, you have a maximum of 15 days to make staff by reaching certain quotas (very doable). I think I made staff in 10 days, and the shortest you can make it is in 5.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure, not very difficult questions, just ask about your experiences interacting with people or canvassing in general   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clean Water Action in July 2013.

They will literally take anyone. They lied and told me this was a "marketing" position, then dropped me off alone in a bad neighborhood to "canvass" AKA harass homeowners with solicitation.

Because this job is a complete scam, the company is a joke that preys on college kids.

Prefer Not to Say Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Clean Water Action.

Someone in a leadership position at Clean Water Action invited me to volunteer for the organization for five hours a week as part of the job application process. This person indicated a strong interest in hiring me, but did not make an offer in writing, on three separate occasions. I volunteered for five months, the job was advertised competitively later, and another candidate was hired. During the interview process, my application was misplaced twice.

Interview Questions
    • For my interview, I was invited to meet the interviewers downtown with no advance notice. Since I did not live downtown, we had to conduct the interview over the phone.   Answer Question

Campaign Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Clean Water Action in May 2013.

Phone screen followed by 1st interview. Meet with staff director, talk about campaign and grassroot organizing. 2nd interview- day in the field with a senior staff member, final hour solo in the community.

Interview Questions
    • Describe past experience that required strong communication skills.   Answer Question