Cleary Gottlieb

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in August 2012.

Interview Details – Standard on-campus interview process: 10 minute screening interview, followed by a 3-4 hour call back interview at their office, was interviewed by 2 partners and 2 associates then taken to lunch.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in August 2010.

Interview Details – On campus interviews followed by visit to the firm.

Interview Question – None. Questions were pretty straightfoward and aimed at assessing work ethic and intellectual curiousity. A lot of emphasis was on having good grades from a prestigious law school.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None- salary was set ahead of time. Offer for long term employment came from the summer position.

Legal Secretary Interview

Legal Secretary
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was clean and efficient. Everyone was very nice and treated me with respect.

Interview Question – What's your worst quality. How do you answer that?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb

Interview Details – I applied online. HR called and asked to set up a phone interview. About a half hour phone call with managers in my department, then I was called in for a second round. This was about an hour total, meeting with department managers separately. First manager was nice, the second a little cold and could not read him. I ended up getting the offer.

Interview Question – Typical explain your resume, behavioral questions, etc. One that threw me off was "What is your favorite quote and why?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate- every intern was paid the same.

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Interview Details – Applied through college. Interview on campus.

Interview Question – Purely conversational.   Answer Question

Litigation Paralegal Interview

Litigation Paralegal

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in March 2011.

Interview Details – I sent in a resume and cover letter and received an interview. I was interviewed first by the litigation paralegal supervisor and her assistant, then by a couple of current paralegals, then by an attorney. The whole process took about 2 hours. They didn't contact me about a job until about a month later.

Interview Question – Nothing too out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Corporate Paralegal
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Interview Details – I sent in the required materials and received an automated email confirming that they had received it and would be in touch with me if they felt I was a good match. Shortly after I was called and asked if I could come in for an interview. When I went in I met with the head of that paralegal department and two paralegals.

The two paralegals told me about their personal experiences and asked if I had any about what the job would require. The head of the department just told me about the job and left.

Interview Question – There was no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

Interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb

Interview Details – Interviewed for their Hong Kong/Beijing office- first at a job fair (followed by a reception at the NY office), then through video conference with a Beijing partner then again with a Hong Kong partner. Every interviewer I spoke with was friendly and eager to answer questions. They took genuine interest in my life goals and wanted to be sure that I will feel fulfilled working with them. They're definitely looking for someone that will stay for the long run.

Interview Question – Why corporate law?   Answer Question

Entry Level Paralegal Interview

Entry Level Paralegal

Interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call from someone in HR a week or so later. We spoke for about 20 minutes about my résumé and interest in the firm. She asked for a salary expectation and told me we'd be in touch.

A week later I received another calling inviting me into the office for several interviews with paralegals and an associate as well as to complete some testing. Again, mostly went through my résumé with all people who I spoke with and was told more about the position and expectations. Nothing out of left field.

Interview Question – Really no difficult questions were asked. Be sure to know about the firm.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Paralegal
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in January 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my application and was contacted via phone to set-up a phone interview. The interviewer called me 15 minutes before the established time. I few weeks later, I was called in for an in-person interview. The whole process lasted something like 4-5 hours as I interviewed with several people both from within the team I would have been working with and outside of it. They all asked the same questions, so by the end of it, kind of felt like a parrot. After meeting around 10-12 people, I then took a series of online tests. Two weeks later I got an email saying I was out of the running.

Interview Question – Nothing too unexpected, but the sheer number of people I met was tedious.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cleary Gottlieb

Worked for Cleary Gottlieb? Contribute to the Community!