Cleary Gottlieb

Updated Nov 6, 2014
Updated Nov 6, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied online. After an initial 30 minute phone screening, I had a second round interview that lasted for about an hour, where I spoke with two sets of managers over two different half-hour sessions. Everyone involved in the interview process was friendly and engaging, and they consistently kept me in the loop throughout the process from start to finish.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in June 2014.

On the whole my interview experience was very pleasant. Mostly everyone I spoke to was very kind and eager to speak to me. My main interviewer was very pleasant and efficient. While the pace of our interview was a little startling, it made it experience intense and interesting. I then spoke to then current paralegals, which was probably the most uncomfortable part of the experience. I had a hard time gauging whether they liked what they were doing or not, which made me question the job itself and whether it would be good work or not. At the end of the interview, I as asked to translate a document from spanish to english and received to feedback on my performance, which left me feeling a little rattled. I didn't hear back from the company about a second interview or even letting me know that I did not suit their needs, which was a little disappointing after spending such a long time at the interview itself as well as time and money getting to NY for the interview.

Intern Interview

I applied online. HR called and asked to set up a phone interview. About a half hour phone call with managers in my department, then I was called in for a second round. This was about an hour total, meeting with department managers separately. First manager was nice, the second a little cold and could not read him. I ended up getting the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Typical explain your resume, behavioral questions, etc. One that threw me off was "What is your favorite quote and why?"   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate- every intern was paid the same.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Applied through college. Interview on campus.

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

I sent in the required materials and received an automated email confirming that they had received it and would be in touch with me if they felt I was a good match. Shortly after I was called and asked if I could come in for an interview. When I went in I met with the head of that paralegal department and two paralegals.

The two paralegals told me about their personal experiences and asked if I had any about what the job would require. The head of the department just told me about the job and left.

Associate Interview

Interviewed for their Hong Kong/Beijing office- first at a job fair (followed by a reception at the NY office), then through video conference with a Beijing partner then again with a Hong Kong partner. Every interviewer I spoke with was friendly and eager to answer questions. They took genuine interest in my life goals and wanted to be sure that I will feel fulfilled working with them. They're definitely looking for someone that will stay for the long run.

Entry Level Paralegal Interview

Applied online and received a call from someone in HR a week or so later. We spoke for about 20 minutes about my résumé and interest in the firm. She asked for a salary expectation and told me we'd be in touch.

A week later I received another calling inviting me into the office for several interviews with paralegals and an associate as well as to complete some testing. Again, mostly went through my résumé with all people who I spoke with and was told more about the position and expectations. Nothing out of left field.

Interview Questions
    • Really no difficult questions were asked. Be sure to know about the firm.   Answer Question

Accounting/Finance Team Summer Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Applied through campus recruiting services w/ resume, 1st round interview occurred on campus. Interview was 30min with two managers, who mostly walked through my resume. Got an email in two days asking me to come to their office in NY for 2nd round, which was with a manager and the CFO -- behavioral questions, walked through my resume some more.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were what you would expect from a behavioral interview.   Answer Question

Attorney, 3rd-Year Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Typical summer associate hiring process - initial round of interviews at law school, followed by a call-back interview at the firm, which culminated in an offer to join the summer associate class. After the summer, I received an offer to come back and work full-time after law school.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a conflict that you previously had in a work environment and how you worked to resolve that conflict   Answer Question
    No negotiation involved for summer associate offers

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in January 2013.

I submitted my application and was contacted via phone to set-up a phone interview. The interviewer called me 15 minutes before the established time. I few weeks later, I was called in for an in-person interview. The whole process lasted something like 4-5 hours as I interviewed with several people both from within the team I would have been working with and outside of it. They all asked the same questions, so by the end of it, kind of felt like a parrot. After meeting around 10-12 people, I then took a series of online tests. Two weeks later I got an email saying I was out of the running.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected, but the sheer number of people I met was tedious.   Answer Question