Cleary Gottlieb Interview Questions

Updated Jul 7, 2015

3.1

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY).

Interview

They called me in for an interview a month after submitting my application. Three people interviewed me: the paralegal manager and two current paralegals. They interviewed me one after the other. It wasn't nerve-wracking but they all asked similar questions. They got back to me the next week.

Accounting Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied through my college and set up a phone interview a day after. A week after the phone interview I went for an office interview. The interview in the office was very informal. They wanted to tell me more about the position. The questions were based off of my resume.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions. Tell me about your resume. What was the best part of each experience?   Answer Question

Accounting/Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Got called by HR for phone interview first, was given a date for an in person interview few days afterwards. Interviewed by two teams, two people per team. Straight forward questions, nothing trivial. Wanted to know more about me than anything else. Asked general questions about prior experiences and what I would be responsible for in their team.

Interview Questions

• What were some difficulties you faced within your prior work experiences   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

25 minutes interview with very basic questions relating to my resume. It turned out to be a casual chatting since the interviewer and I have some common background relating to languages. Overall speaking, the interview is quite easy but the result is somewhat unpredictable.

Interview Questions

• My past experience of internship in a law firm   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online. After an initial 30 minute phone screening, I had a second round interview that lasted for about an hour, where I spoke with two sets of managers over two different half-hour sessions. Everyone involved in the interview process was friendly and engaging, and they consistently kept me in the loop throughout the process from start to finish.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

On the whole my interview experience was very pleasant. Mostly everyone I spoke to was very kind and eager to speak to me. My main interviewer was very pleasant and efficient. While the pace of our interview was a little startling, it made it experience intense and interesting. I then spoke to then current paralegals, which was probably the most uncomfortable part of the experience. I had a hard time gauging whether they liked what they were doing or not, which made me question the job itself and whether it would be good work or not. At the end of the interview, I as asked to translate a document from spanish to english and received to feedback on my performance, which left me feeling a little rattled. I didn't hear back from the company about a second interview or even letting me know that I did not suit their needs, which was a little disappointing after spending such a long time at the interview itself as well as time and money getting to NY for the interview.

Interview Questions

• Do you already live in New York?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied online. HR called and asked to set up a phone interview. About a half hour phone call with managers in my department, then I was called in for a second round. This was about an hour total, meeting with department managers separately. First manager was nice, the second a little cold and could not read him. I ended up getting the offer.

Interview Questions

• Typical explain your resume, behavioral questions, etc. One that threw me off was "What is your favorite quote and why?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate- every intern was paid the same.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Interview

Applied through college. Interview on campus.

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb (New York, NY).

Interview

I sent in the required materials and received an automated email confirming that they had received it and would be in touch with me if they felt I was a good match. Shortly after I was called and asked if I could come in for an interview. When I went in I met with the head of that paralegal department and two paralegals. The two paralegals told me about their personal experiences and asked if I had any about what the job would require. The head of the department just told me about the job and left.

Associate Interview

Interview

Interviewed for their Hong Kong/Beijing office- first at a job fair (followed by a reception at the NY office), then through video conference with a Beijing partner then again with a Hong Kong partner. Every interviewer I spoke with was friendly and eager to answer questions. They took genuine interest in my life goals and wanted to be sure that I will feel fulfilled working with them. They're definitely looking for someone that will stay for the long run.