Cleary Gottlieb Interview Questions

Updated Aug 6, 2014

3.2

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in June 2014.

On the whole my interview experience was very pleasant. Mostly everyone I spoke to was very kind and eager to speak to me. My main interviewer was very pleasant and efficient. While the pace of our interview was a little startling, it made it experience intense and interesting. I then spoke to then current paralegals, which was probably the most uncomfortable part of the experience. I had a hard time gauging whether they liked what they were doing or not, which made me question the job itself and whether it would be good work or not. At the end of the interview, I as asked to translate a document from spanish to english and received to feedback on my performance, which left me feeling a little rattled. I didn't hear back from the company about a second interview or even letting me know that I did not suit their needs, which was a little disappointing after spending such a long time at the interview itself as well as time and money getting to NY for the interview.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in August 2012.

Standard on-campus interview process: 10 minute screening interview, followed by a 3-4 hour call back interview at their office, was interviewed by 2 partners and 2 associates then taken to lunch.

No negotiation

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in August 2010.

On campus interviews followed by visit to the firm.

Interview Questions
    • None. Questions were pretty straightfoward and aimed at assessing work ethic and intellectual curiousity. A lot of emphasis was on having good grades from a prestigious law school.   Answer Question
    None- salary was set ahead of time. Offer for long term employment came from the summer position.

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in March 2012.

The interview process was clean and efficient. Everyone was very nice and treated me with respect.

Interview Questions
    • What's your worst quality. How do you answer that?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. HR called and asked to set up a phone interview. About a half hour phone call with managers in my department, then I was called in for a second round. This was about an hour total, meeting with department managers separately. First manager was nice, the second a little cold and could not read him. I ended up getting the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Typical explain your resume, behavioral questions, etc. One that threw me off was "What is your favorite quote and why?"   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate- every intern was paid the same.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

Applied through college. Interview on campus.

Litigation Paralegal Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb in March 2011.

I sent in a resume and cover letter and received an interview. I was interviewed first by the litigation paralegal supervisor and her assistant, then by a couple of current paralegals, then by an attorney. The whole process took about 2 hours. They didn't contact me about a job until about a month later.

There was no negotiation

Corporate Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cleary Gottlieb.

I sent in the required materials and received an automated email confirming that they had received it and would be in touch with me if they felt I was a good match. Shortly after I was called and asked if I could come in for an interview. When I went in I met with the head of that paralegal department and two paralegals.

The two paralegals told me about their personal experiences and asked if I had any about what the job would require. The head of the department just told me about the job and left.

Associate Interview

Interviewed for their Hong Kong/Beijing office- first at a job fair (followed by a reception at the NY office), then through video conference with a Beijing partner then again with a Hong Kong partner. Every interviewer I spoke with was friendly and eager to answer questions. They took genuine interest in my life goals and wanted to be sure that I will feel fulfilled working with them. They're definitely looking for someone that will stay for the long run.

Entry Level Paralegal Interview

Applied online and received a call from someone in HR a week or so later. We spoke for about 20 minutes about my résumé and interest in the firm. She asked for a salary expectation and told me we'd be in touch.

A week later I received another calling inviting me into the office for several interviews with paralegals and an associate as well as to complete some testing. Again, mostly went through my résumé with all people who I spoke with and was told more about the position and expectations. Nothing out of left field.

Interview Questions
    • Really no difficult questions were asked. Be sure to know about the firm.   Answer Question

Worked for Cleary Gottlieb? Contribute to the Community!