Clifford Chance Interview Questions

Updated Nov 30, 2014

3.6

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Clifford Chance in November 2014.

CV application on their website
    Initial video interview
    Face to face interview with 2 people - 1st round
    2nd round interview - with 2 other people (one of them the senior partner of the F&CM department)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone into your way of thinking.   View Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clifford Chance in January 2014.

First stage video conference interview from London for a role based in their Hong Kong office

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? What do you think it will be like to work here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Clifford Chance in September 2013.

Stage 1 (for those who have not undertaken a Vacation Scheme with the firm before): online application, fairly straight-forward. Online Verbal Reasoning Test (practice test available on CC's graduates site)

Stage 2 (assessment day): Two interviews. First is a competency-based interview (45min). It's a new policy that Partners and Associates interviewing you do not read your full application first, but rather let you set the tone. Second interview: a case-study based interview. You will be given a piece of materials on which you have 15 min to prepare, and then you will make a short presentation as directed, and be asked questions.

Interview Questions
    • Case-study questions. Think it through. They will dig deep.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Clifford Chance.

Unfortunately I had an insecure line manager interviewing me at first round and displaying negative body language. I knew within the first 5 minutes that the interviewer had made up his mind and we were just going through the motions of a fake interview. I was surprised to get asked to do a questionnaire after receiving negative feedback a few days later and felt they wasted my time and theirs.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The interview was awkward and uncomfortable because the interviewer was awkward and uncomfortable.   Answer Question

QA Test Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Clifford Chance.

2 interviews

1 phone interview
    Asked me about my background, my experience in non-functional testing, what I liked about testing, how I mentored others and my 5 year plan

1 interview in person including a written scenario based test
    Interview was with 2 people. The QA manager and the Director of Enterprise Architecture, both very shrewd and clever IT people.
    Interview followed the usual non-functional guidelines with some low and high level technical questions
    A lot of personal questions to see if I was a dedicated tester or not (what do you like about performance testing)
    A lot of questions to see if I was a committed professional willing to work in the office location (how was the journey and would I be happy to do it 10 times a week)
    One question was a scenario based question on designing a performance testing solution for a particular technical need - it was HARD and the scenario although valid, not one that you could design easily without experience of it beforehand.
    The rest of the questions were around why I designed the scenario that I did and the costings and implications of my design decisions.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario based question   View Answer
    • The costings around the solution that I had chosed   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Clifford Chance in January 2012.

1st - Application screening;
    2nd - Assessment centre - verbal reasoning test, group exercise, interview with partner with case study.

Interview Questions
    • Case study - a lot of info to get through, read quickly!   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Clifford Chance in August 2011.

The interview began at 9:00 am and consisted of a greeting by members of the HR staff. There was a reasoning skills test given consisting of several questions related to selected reading. The test was timed and took approximately 25 minutes to complete. There were also two commercial assessments. The first required the group to come up with a business strategy given a specific scenario. This is meant to test business acumen, negotiation, and team work skills. The second commercial assessment is an individual assessment in which the applicant comes up with a business plan individually given a specific scenario. The business plan is presented during the individual interview with two partners. The questions are fairly standard and seek to test your commercial knowledge, knowledge of the business, and motivation for wanting practice law and work at Clifford Chance. It is very important that all competencies are exceeded as the competition is of a very high standard and scoring exceptionally in any or even most of the areas assessed will not necessarily secure an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Clifford Chance?   View Answer
    • What are some current issues within the legal industry which may be of a concern for law firms?   View Answer

Associate Lawyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Clifford Chance in January 2011.

Two interviews with two partners each time. The first was a 'personality' interview and very friendly. The second was a skills interview and included questions on, essentially, every operative clause of the major agreements you will work with in the relevant department as well as negotiation skills and commercial questions.

Interview Questions
    • You act for a seller. The purchaser has asked for a MAC clause, a long period between signing and completion and lots of conditions. What do you respond?   View Answer
    There is not really any negotiation

Trainee Solicitor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Clifford Chance in September 2010.

Two steps interview: first screening with HR and second interview with Senior Associate

Interview Questions
    • Nothins special, just a general conversation on past job   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Clifford Chance in November 2008.

There is an initial application form requiring substantial description of yourself, your abilities, history and experience. There are some career/job focused questions and others are more "soft" and ask for thigns suchs as a description of a time when you were successful or where you overcame adversity.

If you are sucessful that round you are then invited to participate in a verbal reasoning test on-line. My advice would be to practice a few in advance if you can as it is a different way of approaching "comprehension" type questions than is common and you need to be able to answer very quickly.

If you pass that test you are invited to a half day interview where you have to complete another verbal reasoning test, a group role play scenario, the analysis of a commercial question and an interview with two partners during which you will discuss the commenrcial question.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your three weakneses?"   View Answer
    • I was asked to give quite a detailed discussion on financial regulation in the UK which, in my view, was more advanced that I would have expected at that level.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. The terms are fixed.