Clifford Chance Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.5

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview went reasonably well. I was very impressed with the firm culture, its values and the benefits offered to its support staff. As much of an international Big Law firm as Clifford Chance is, the New York City office felt local. Ultimately I wasn't chosen as the final candidate, but was encouraged to pursue future opportunities within the firm, which I will gladly do.

Interview Questions

• What would you say are the most unique professional characteristics you offer as a Legal Secretary?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

Initial screener interview at my law school. Invited to callback interviews at CC's office in NY. Of all the firms I interviewed, these went the worst. Most associates seemed utterly burned out and didn't seem to care about who I was i.e. ask questions about me or my resume.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

I couldn't see myself working at this firm. Despite the international opportunities, it seemed utterly joyless and impersonal.

Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

CV application on their website Initial video interview Face to face interview with 2 people - 1st round 2nd round interview - with 2 other people (one of them the senior partner of the F&CM department)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to convince someone into your way of thinking.   1 Answer

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in January 2014.

Interview

First stage video conference interview from London for a role based in their Hong Kong office

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What do you think it will be like to work here?   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (London, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

Stage 1 (for those who have not undertaken a Vacation Scheme with the firm before): online application, fairly straight-forward. Online Verbal Reasoning Test (practice test available on CC's graduates site) Stage 2 (assessment day): Two interviews. First is a competency-based interview (45min). It's a new policy that Partners and Associates interviewing you do not read your full application first, but rather let you set the tone. Second interview: a case-study based interview. You will be given a piece of materials on which you have 15 min to prepare, and then you will make a short presentation as directed, and be asked questions.

Interview Questions

• Case-study questions. Think it through. They will dig deep.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Unfortunately I had an insecure line manager interviewing me at first round and displaying negative body language. I knew within the first 5 minutes that the interviewer had made up his mind and we were just going through the motions of a fake interview. I was surprised to get asked to do a questionnaire after receiving negative feedback a few days later and felt they wasted my time and theirs.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. The interview was awkward and uncomfortable because the interviewer was awkward and uncomfortable.   Answer Question

QA Test Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 interviews 1 phone interview Asked me about my background, my experience in non-functional testing, what I liked about testing, how I mentored others and my 5 year plan 1 interview in person including a written scenario based test Interview was with 2 people. The QA manager and the Director of Enterprise Architecture, both very shrewd and clever IT people. Interview followed the usual non-functional guidelines with some low and high level technical questions A lot of personal questions to see if I was a dedicated tester or not (what do you like about performance testing) A lot of questions to see if I was a committed professional willing to work in the office location (how was the journey and would I be happy to do it 10 times a week) One question was a scenario based question on designing a performance testing solution for a particular technical need - it was HARD and the scenario although valid, not one that you could design easily without experience of it beforehand. The rest of the questions were around why I designed the scenario that I did and the costings and implications of my design decisions.

Interview Questions

• The scenario based question   1 Answer
    • The costings around the solution that I had chosed   1 Answer

Interview

Be prepared to do your homework on history of the company as well as job role applying for. Telehone interview first and then face to face if you get over that hurdle.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

1st - Application screening; 2nd - Assessment centre - verbal reasoning test, group exercise, interview with partner with case study.

Interview Questions

• Case study - a lot of info to get through, read quickly!   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Clifford Chance (City of London, England (UK)) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview began at 9:00 am and consisted of a greeting by members of the HR staff. There was a reasoning skills test given consisting of several questions related to selected reading. The test was timed and took approximately 25 minutes to complete. There were also two commercial assessments. The first required the group to come up with a business strategy given a specific scenario. This is meant to test business acumen, negotiation, and team work skills. The second commercial assessment is an individual assessment in which the applicant comes up with a business plan individually given a specific scenario. The business plan is presented during the individual interview with two partners. The questions are fairly standard and seek to test your commercial knowledge, knowledge of the business, and motivation for wanting practice law and work at Clifford Chance. It is very important that all competencies are exceeded as the competition is of a very high standard and scoring exceptionally in any or even most of the areas assessed will not necessarily secure an offer.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Clifford Chance?   1 Answer
    • What are some current issues within the legal industry which may be of a concern for law firms?   1 Answer