CliftonLarsonAllen

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Assurance Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lutherville Timonium, MD
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CliftonLarsonAllen in June 2014.

I had submitted my online application for an entry-level position years ago, so I was familiar with their web site. When a senior audit position popped up in my area, I applied. CLA has a major problem with their web site: you cannot delete old resumes or attachments.

To avoid confusion, I e-mailed my resume to the Timonium office's recruiter directly. He got back to me within 1 day to set up a phone interview. We had a phone interview 3 business days later where he asked basic questions about my experience, my current compensation, and my citizenship (for security clearance reasons).

I had an interview set up with two audit partners for the next week very soon. The interview only spent a minute on soft behavioral questions. Then we jumped straight into technical issues. The whole talk lasted one hour.

The partners explained how CLA's career structure is unique. In the first 5 years, employees declare themselves as A) Managers B) Engagement Director or C) future Alumni

The Managers are just like any other large public accounting firm. You're expected to start marketing CLA and you will have a chance to make partner someday.

The Engagement Directors focus entirely on doing the work and signing off on engagements. They are not punished for a lack of sales success, but they have an understanding that they cannot get promoted any further.

The future Alumni expect to leave public accounting, so the firm tries to give them relevant experience for the industry side.

Interview Questions

I ultimately went with a tier 2 national firm because of access to publicly-traded clients. If I didn't get that offer, I would have definitely taken this job offer. Not that I'm demanding more, but CLA took 15 days total to do the full application/offer cycle. The other firm took 6. So yes, the timing played a small part in my decision.