Clinique

Updated Oct 5, 2014
Updated Oct 5, 2014

2.9

Cosmetics Associate Interview

interviewed at Clinique in October 2014.

The Talent Plus interview was difficult because the questions could not be explained by the interviewer and since I do not have previous experience selling cosmetics I had to remember times at other unrelated jobs when I met the sales goals, was rewarded for meeting sales goals, or dealt with an unhappy customer. The last positions I held were in education and it was difficult to think of specific examples to answer some of the questions. Many of the questions dealt with rating myself with regard to honesty, loyalty, and a positive attitude. I was asked how many hours I worked in a day at previous jobs and how I get along with negative people. Some comments have mentioned that the Talent Plus interviewer sounded uncaring and unsupportive but my interviewer seemed to regret that she couldn't explain questions and she asked one question again when I forgot to address the second half of a question. The most helpful preparation I did for this interview involved reading other comments on the website, writing down the questions which were asked, and considering my answers to those questions. Apparently I passed this interview because I was asked to interview with the account representative of the cosmetics line. However, during that one-on-one interview I decided that this high stress cosmetic sales position was not for me because of the following expectations: daily goals for sales, weekly goals for credit card applications, follow up telephone calls (calling a customer 2 days after they purchased a product to thank them, 2 weeks after to see if they want to come in for a follow up appointment to see how the product is working for them, and 2 months after purchase when they are probably running low on the product), making pre promotion sales calls to pre sell the products, and working a 12 to 14 hour shift for Black Friday. As a consumer of many cosmetics products over the years, I would probably not return to a cosmetics counter if someone called me 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months after I purchased a product. I know they appreciate my business, assuming they were pleasant and thanked me during the transaction. I know how to drive back to the department store if I have questions or trouble using the product. If they were honest and genuine during the initial sale, I will want to go back to them when I'm running low on the product. Calls after the sale would feel like telemarketing calls to me.

Interview Questions
    • How many hours do you usually work? This was difficult for me because I'm not sure if they want to know so they'll have an idea of how many hours I'd be willing to work during the week at the cosmetics job. If that's what they want to know, just ask me how many hours I'm willing to work. In some professions, work includes the hours you report to the place of employment as well as the preparation you do at nights and on the weekends. I said 50 to 60 hours because I added preparation time during off hours but I don't want or expect to work that many hours selling cosmetics. I was confused at the purpose of this question.   Answer Question

Counter Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Clinique in August 2014.

Received a phone call from the Estee Lauder recruiter. Had a 20 minute exploratory phone interview. Recieved product sample in the mail and a no offer email a few days later

Clinique Consultant Part-time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Clinique.

I applied through the Macy's website and was emailed about a week later to set up the first interview. I met with one of the Managers and he asked me some questions off what looked like just a basic interview sheet. And of course asked why I chose Clinique. This interview lasted only about 10 minutes. A few days later I got a call that the next step would be to interview with the Counter Manager. I met her at the actual Clinique counter and from there we went over to the cafe where she asked me some more basic interview questions. She asked me a lot of sales related questions because at the end of the day this is a sales job. Then she took me back to the counter where she introduced me to some of the girls, and she did a mock consultation on me and then I did one on her. This whole interview probably took about an hour because if someone came up to the counter she would obviously need to give her attention to them. It was a very cool interview because you actually get to see how it works right at the actual counter. Its easy to envision the job that way. Before I left she explained that the next part would be the phone interview for Talent Plus which is when Estee Lauder actually calls you. I received a phone call to set this up a few days later. I was really worried about this part because I had researched it online and it had a lot of people upset because this is the part that actually passes or fails you. The call took about 30 minutes and she got in a lot of questions. First they ask you about your past job experiences, what you enjoyed most about your past jobs, and why you want to work for Clinique. Then she went into a serious of yes or no questions, and if you answer "yes" then she would say "now give me an example of that". Some of the questions that threw me off were "What is something that you feel so passionately about that you would be willing to stand up for it publicly?", "Give an example of your loyalty", "What is your idea of the perfect customer?", "Give an example of a time that you changed someones mind", "How many hours a week do you usually spend working?".

Interview Questions
    • The Talent Plus interview was a different experience. I had researched some of the typical questions and had some sample answers laid out in front me of, but the woman went through them so fast I didn't have any time to even look down I just went off the top of my head.   Answer Question

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Overland Park, KS

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Clinique.

I had an interview with two people, the manager at Macy's and the counter manager. The Macy's manager didn't appear to have that many questions. Almost all questions were sale oriented. There were a couple of questions that were work environment oriented but still sales oriented. For example "if one of your co-workers wasn't making her monthly quota, would you approach her? How would you approach her?" I was told that I made it to the next process of the interview portion, which was the TalentPlus portion, however I never received a call from TalentPlus and when I inquired about it to Macy's/Clinique they brushed me off.

Interview Questions
    • The counter manager pulled out a pen and said "if this pen was a Clinique chubby stick how would you sell it to me?"   View Answer

Beauty Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Clinique.

I first went to a career fair and was interviewed there one on one. (I also applied online prior) A few hours later I received an email from one of the locations. The email attached had a few preliminary questions, very generalized. I then interviewed the next day with the business manager. The day after that I interviewed with the cosmetics director of the store I applied to. Then I was given the Talent phone interview which I was told to be myself, yet sells driven.

Interview Questions
    • Are you more hungrier than your friends for to achieve your goals? (I'm not sure exact wording)
      Are you loyal? (Describe a time)
      Are you more business or customer service oriented?
      Describe a time you had a sales goal to reach and you reach the goal?

Answer Question

Regional Education Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Clinique.

Interview process is long. I interviewed with four people before I was hired. The Talent Plus interview is used to determine your strengths and then you must interview with who you will be directly working under, then their boss, then New York. Training is amazing. It last 4-6 weeks. They set you up for success.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever had a supervisor that you had difficulty working with?   Answer Question
    Offered base salary and bonus. I was not able to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Easton, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Easton, PA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Clinique.

Several interviews with both Clinique representatives and the department store in which it was located. Phone interview with Clinique, in person interview for department store. In person interview with counter manager. In person interview with clinique representative.

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was limited due to my age and experience.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Clinique in November 2013.

I applied through email after seeing a post on Craiglist on Tuesday. Was contacted 2 hrs later by the Clinique Account Executive. She told me to apply through Macysjobs and that she would forward my information to them so they can pull my application. On Thursday I was called at noon to go for an interview at 2pm. I couldn't believe the short notice but I went. I interviewed with the Macys hiring manager, Clinique counter manager and Sales director all at the same time. Interview lasted about 30min and I was offered the position on the spot. Unfortunately because I'm applying during the holidays season the position is considered temporary and I will get minimum wage. But once I become permanent in February the hr rate will increase and will also get commission. Later that afternoon I got a call to schedule the Talent + interview which is a phone interview. I scheduled it for that same night. Phone interview lasted 30mins. It was very strict to asking and responding. No emotion whatsoever and she could not elaborate on the questions only repeat them.I start training Wednesday.

Interview Questions
    • Would you say you are more money hungry than your friends?   View Answer
    • Are you loyal? Give an example of how you are loyal? Are you honest? How loyal? How honest? on a scale of 1 to 10 how honest?   View Answer
    • If one of your coworkers is giving away free products what would you do?   View Answer
    • Are you more sales or service oriented?   View Answers (2)
    When I asked my desired rate I asked for no less than $9 per hour. Unfortunately because the position is currently considered temporary the pay is $8. Once it becomes permanent it will increase and commission will be added as well.

Cosmetic Cosltnt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Clinique in November 2013.

Two personal interviews one talent plus interview and one von maur district manager interview. Applied online on a Saturday. Got called back later same day. Had first interview the following monday as well as 2nd interview. Both were in person. Had talent plus interview on tues and another phone interview few hours later. Couple hours later that day I was called back and offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • What is a a right or something you would be willing to stand up for.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Clinique in July 2013.

I was called by a representative of Estee Lauder to be told that another telephone would be conducted. The interview was 30-40 minutes long. The interviewer read the questions and would not elaborate on them--it was up to me to interpret them myself.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in the future? Do you consider yourself loyal and why? Do you have a can-do attitude? Give an example of this in one of your previous jobs. What is more important: service or sales?   View Answer