Clinton Foundation

Updated Aug 28, 2014
Updated Aug 28, 2014

2.7

Commitments Manager Early Childhood Development Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Clinton Foundation.

I was interviewed by the Talent Acquisition department. She was new to the job, had being in the position for less than two weeks, but she was extremely nice and helpful. It was a phone interview, and she even have me advice in how to land a job with them if this one did not work out for me.

Annual Fund Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Clinton Foundation.

I was given the option to come in for a face to face interview or phone interview. I opted for a face to face interview. It was very informal and I got the impression, almost immediately, that they had a slew of other candidates in consideration.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were pretty standard - again I think they were interviewing me just to fill a interview time slot and were not particularly serious in hiring me. At most, the interview took 20 minutes.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Clinton Foundation.

There were many phone interviews with various staff at the foundation. Questions usually varied with each person depending on the position you were being interviewed for. After the interview, they sent you an email to complete a writing assignment within an hour.

Interview Questions
    • The writing assignment at the end of the phone interview was something I did not expect.   Answer Question

Scheduling Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clinton Foundation in March 2014.

Phone Interview. The process took about 1 month

Interview Questions
    • Basic interview questions, about your experience and your resume.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Clinton Foundation.

Applied online, two references, two essays, transcript, resume. The application was put online in December, due at the end of February. Pretty labor-intensive application and apparently they choose who to interview relatively quickly. They sent an email stating that in a ten day process they would be reviewing all applications to see who to interview

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the function of non-profits. What are you most interested in in the Clinton Foundation?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Clinton Foundation.

Sent in a resume and cover letter online. Received an email requesting a phone interview within a few weeks. Phone interview with manager of division; then another follow-up interview with the manager in charge of hiring.

Interview Questions
    • Explain why you are interested in the Foundation given your work in the private sector.   Answer Question

Scheduling did not work out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Clinton Foundation in March 2012.

After applying online to the Clinton Foundation's CGI America and CGI University summer internship program, I was contacted via e-mail by interns from these two departments to set up interviews. The first interview, with CGI University, was with an intern. The intern seemed very nice, but also not very interested in what I had to say. The majority of the interview period, which only took up 15-20 minutes, consisted of her talking about the department. The second interview, with CGI America, was with 2 interviewers, whom I believe were both directors of the program. Again, the interviewers seemed more interesting in talking about the program themselves than hearing what I had to say. Overall, I would say that they do have a difficult interview process. They ask your typical interview questions, but also ask you very specifically about your interests in the program itself.

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Clinton Foundation in October 2010.

Everything was done by email (save the interview, of course). HR manager contacted me, set up interview time with future boss, and answered any questions. As I live far from NY, we decided on a phone interview. Questions were extremely basic and the interview itself was very short, no more than 20 minutes - of which the interviewer spent a significant amount of time explaining the job, responsibilities, logistics, scheduling, etc. I later found out that others in my department experienced a similar short and simple interview, though they had undergone a face-to-face 1:1 interview since they lived in NY.

Response time post-interview was extremely quick - I think about 1 or 2 days after the interview, I got another email. I had to do another interview with the HR manager, but that was more like a call to figure out logistics rather than an interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you worked under severe pressure.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Clinton Foundation in April 2010.

Applied online. A few days later, got a call from the hiring manager. After a review of my resume, they indicated that they were looking for someone with more of a technical background.

Much to my surprise, I got an email asking me to come in for an interview. I did, met with the hiring manager as well as a panel of potential team members.

Lots of behavioral "what would you do it" questions. I would have preferred a more straight-forward approach, about what they job entailed, hours, and such.

Got an email about a week later saying "I wasn't a good fit" with no other information. No surprise here, as they indicated they wanted more a technical person.

Analyst - China Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Clinton Foundation in February 2010.

Phone Interview, standard walk through on the resume and behavioral-based questions. The interviewer took time to describe the position, and was very cordial over the phone.

I thought I was very qualified for the job. I had multiple global health jobs (actual, paid) specifically working in China throughout college, I am deeply fluent in both English and Mandarin Chinese, I worked as a strategy consultant and I am by all means a sociable and intellectually curious person. I have a demonstrated passion in nonprofits and this was a job I really wanted and was ready to devote myself into.

Which is why it was quite a shock when I found out out later that not only did I not get the position, a person I knew with less qualifications (and less passion) received a similar position. (update: he later quit the job abruptly, which revealed the foundation's poor skills at picking for the right candidates)

The HR interviewer was not professional - she repeatedly delayed my emails regarding when she would make a decision (emailing me 4 days after I emailed her 3 times regarding my status, since I had an exploding offer somewhere else but this was my first choice). Ultimately after my third email, she wrote back to me and said in one sentence that they decided to go with someone else, no apologies and a really lame explanation saying she thought I went for the other firm when I SPECIFICALLY said in my other email that this was my first choice and I intend on hearing a responses from you first. Not only was she a poor communicator, she basically lied to my face.

Having interviewed at various professional organizations in both the private and public sector, this was unfortunately my worst experience. I think the foundation needs to seriously evaluate its recruiting strategy and to communicate clearly with its candidates on expectations and results.

Interview Questions

Worked for Clinton Foundation? Contribute to the Community!