Cloudera Interview Questions

Updated Jun 23, 2015

3.2

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Cloudera in June 2015.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone and gave the recruiter an overview of my career for about 10 minutes.

The recruiter then asked me my current salary and I mentioned that I have a personal policy not to disclose that information for privacy reasons but would like to be paid approximately what Cloudera's main competitor (Hortonworks) is paying its employees for a similar position. I then let the recruiter know what Hortonworks was paying, according to Glassdoor's salary listings.

The recruiter then became very aggressive, and asked me two more times about my current salary level becoming increasingly more aggressive each time and even becoming somewhat "thuggish" as the call progressed. The recruiter even had the nerve to instruct me to "go find my tax return" and tell the recruiter what dollar amount was listed in the return's "salary" section.

The recruiter stated that "every" person interviewed by Cloudera must disclose his or her current salary in order for the interview process to move forward. I mentioned that I felt this line of questioning was a bit inappropriate and antiquated - and was similar to asking someone if they were married, gay, Muslim, etc.

Then the recruiter completely shut down the interview and did not even ask me if I had any questions about the job, Cloudera's work environment, etc. The recruiter also mentioned that things would probably not move forward, but that the recruiter would follow up with me within one business day.

Then, two business days after my call with the recruiter I received an anonymous email from Cloudera Recruiting stating that the hiring process would not be moving forward.

Note to Cloudera Executives:
    Based on this experience, it seems like Cloudera may actually be "contributing" to Silicon Valley's gender pay gap problem when Cloudera should really be trying to "eliminate" the issue.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary level?   1 Answer

Cloudera Response

Jun 24, 2015Director of Global Talent Acquisition

We take all feedback on Glassdoor very seriously. We reviewed this specific situation internally. Ultimately for the hundreds of candidates we speak to every week, we are happy and confident that our ... More

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Fairly detailed interview process. Initially, a few phone screen interviews, followed by two in-person interviews with individual contributors and managers. Most of the discussions were on management styles and management problem solving. The interviews also included technical design type questions that emphasize distributed, scalable systems. A lot of emphasis on concurrent programming language constructs and databases.

Interview Questions

• Describe past work experiences in detail. Explain biggest challenges and how I was able to overcome them.   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Applied through Cloudera website and received a call from the recruiter a week later.
    Took in a call with another TAM, then with the team's manager, then with a Systems Engineer, and then with an Account Executive. The nature of phone interviews was a mixture of technical (Java, Unix) and business oriented (situations with clients). I was called for an on-site interview and was asked to make a presentation on Hadoop.
    On site:
    The day started off with my presentation and there was a question asked on the demonstration. Then I had individual rounds with the director, Systems engineer, two account executives. The nature of the on-site interview was a bit similar to my phone screens, but we had conversations about architectural patterns in addition.
    Finally received an offer after a call with Vice President of Sales.
    All in all this was by far the most professional interview process per my experience.

Interview Questions

• NDA.
      Be prepared with Java, Unix, database, networking questions. And your experience with dealing with Customers always help with this interview.

Answer Question

Solutions Architect Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

This is one of the most informative and organized interviewing processed I have been through. The interview process consisted of one HR screening, two technical phone interviews, and one half a day in-person office visit with the director, hiring manager, and two technical engineers. Everyone was very friendly and excited to be part of this growing company. From my discussions with the interviewers, the company appeared to have great work culture and is doing some pretty cool things. Due to my restricted schedule, the process took about 5 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to demonstrate your skill set in a programing language (JAVA, Python, etc), Unix/Linux, Networking, Databases, and SQL. The questions were straight forward but can vary. Expect to write a general program/method.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

The process was really quick, had 3 phone interviews from a Software Engineer, Architect, and Manager. The interview results came out the next day of my interviews and HR was super responsive. I really enjoyed the process and I accepted my offer. The team I am joining is really good and they offered a very generous salary.

Interview Questions

• Sorry NDA, but you would do well if you have a good understanding of algorithms and systems.   Answer Question

Engineering Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I met with 5 members of the recruiting team, including the recruiting manager. All of the interviewers were well prepared in their line of questioning, they all were detailed in their follow on questions, and all were polite and professional. Overall this team left me with a positive experience and positive feeling about Cloudera as a company.

Interview Questions

• One interviewer asked me in depth questions about how I present candidate offers in a competitive offer environment.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

I received phone interview that I thought went well. The recruiter said they would recommend to the hiring manager that they schedule an onsite interview. After not hearing back for over a week I followed up via email and they said the hiring manager just started looking over the candidates and they would get back to me. Haven't heard anything for over two weeks now.

Director, Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Two phone interviews with hiring manager and co-founder of company. Full day of in person/Skype interviews in Palo Alto. The interview team span across biz dev, engineering, marketing and product management. All the conversations were pretty relaxed and casual. I talked to about 7-8 people total plus recruiter.

Interview Questions

• What did I think the future of Cloud platform providers was?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate package total as well as split of base / bonus. Fairly painless and they are very fair in meeting your needs.

Manager - Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cloudera (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Outstanding, professional, passionate, and challenging. Know you stuff...!!! Very tough disruptive SW space, so you need to have the expertise and background to be successful. I was referred by a current employee, had multiple phone calls with recruiter; one-on-one with 7 folks, including multiple VP leaders. Final interview was phone call with the SVP. Received offers that week, with start date 2-weeks after the offer.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel comfortable wearing many hats, talking ownership to drive chance and leading such change..?   Answer Question
    • How would you challenge customers to move to such a disruptive technology..?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a couple of phone interviews which went reasonably well but I was never called onsite. When I followed up I got the standard reply of "Thank you for your patience and we will let you know". My interview experience could be a one off because of incompetent recruiters though, because the interviewers were quite courteous, but maybe one of them forgot to enter the feedback on time.

It's a shame, because it seems like a great company to work for (apart from their unprofessional recruiting team) and the interview went quite well. And even if it didn't go well, it wouldn't hurt to inform the candidate about the result - doesn't reflect very well on their recruiting team's culture!!