Cloudera Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

3.2

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The team was professional & friendly from first introduction through contract negotiation. The process was standard: phone interview, in person interviews with hiring manager, team members & stakeholders. I was surprised to be interviewed by the CFO, top of my management line. It was great that they took the time to vet the candidates for this role.

Interview Questions

• They asked me lots of probing questions about how I have dealt with situations in the past, and how I would deal with hypothetical situations. I felt that they were trying to determine my style of decision making.   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was positive, organized, and transparent. Day 1: I met with the Recruiter for the team. She was very professional, respectful, and passionate about Cloudera. She offered me food and drinks that was located in the company kitchen. There was a lot of healthy and delicious options, I of course chose not the healthy ones. After, we went into a meeting that was very clean and quiet. The objective of the interview was to review my qualifications and my interest in the position. During our conversation, the recruiter was very genuine and interested to see if I was a great fit for the position and company. She also framed the interview to be more of a discussion and exchange, rather than a drill of answering her questions. She gave me the opportunity to build on her questions and ask questions throughout the interview. Overall, she was very professional and I had a great experience on my first day with interviews. The duration of the interview lasted about 30 minutes. Day 2: The objective of this interview was to meet with the team, which includes a potential colleague, a senior team member, a manager, and the Director. During the process, each interviewer was seeking to see if my previous experiences was aligned with the position, if I was a great fit for the company, and also to see if I was a potentially a great fit for the team. When first entered the door, I was immediately greeted and introduced to team members. They also provided me an agenda so that I know that is happening throughout my time here. I loved that! Again, they offered me food and drinks from their kitchen. And again, I chose the unhealthy ones. Through out the process, I met many interesting characters that are passionate about their position and Cloudera. They were very knowledgable about the company and were eager to answer my questions. They made me feel very comfortable and respected as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be Recruiting Coordinator?   1 Answer

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cloudera (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied to the position at 10 p.m. and by 9:00 a.m. the next day a recruiter emailed me to schedule a Skype interview. Within 37 hour of applying I was having the initial interview which consisted of standard screening questions. The recruiter was very professional and generous with her time. At the end of the interview the recruiter offered another Skype interview with the Hiring Manager on the same day. Three hours later I was talking to the Hiring Manager. He provided a few direct question but mostly wanted you to sell yourself for the SDR role. Within 10 minutes of the second interview I received a phone call (not email) thanking me for my interest, but unfortunately I wasn't seen as a fit for the position. I was told that Cloudera was looking for a specific fit who they think they could train to sell their solutions. Thorough technical knowledge of their solutions was not expected for the SDR position as extensive training would be provided. Overall: Cloudera has been among the most prompt, professional and courteous companies which I have had the pleasure of interviewing with. It was nice to see such a personal and speedy approach to recruiting.

Interview Questions

• Being a fresh graduate with light professional experience; what can you bring to Cloudera that makes you qualified for the SDR role?   Answer Question

Recruiting Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a very positive experience. I felt the recruitment team moved quickly and kept me in the loop at all times. The interview coordination process was organized and fast paced. I was brought in for a lunch meeting with the team and that sealed the deal for me. It was awesome to see the team in a less formal setting to get a picture of what it would be like to work here.

Interview Questions

• What was my experience implementing new recruitment systems?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cloudera in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 24hrs for a Skype interview. I interviewed with the recruiter and she sent me on to interview with the hiring manager. It was a simple, quick process. The recruited called me and told me that I wouldn't be moving on about a week later. I asked for feedback and she said the only thing she had was "too high energy"--seems strange that would be a con in a sales position, but hey, every company is different. Word to the wise--don't be too bubbly or outgoing if you want to work here

Interview Questions

• Tell me your employment history and background like a story   Answer Question

Director of Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cloudera (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process wowed me, especially day 1 of the formal process, in which 6 interviews from 3 locations were organized flawlessly in less than 24 hours, and I was escorted around by people who knew exactly what to do despite the main contacts being out of office. While the process itself was extraordinarily organized, the interviews themselves were refreshingly casual and friendly, yet relevant to the job. The hiring manager had all the feedback by the time we circled back, and there was a strong sense of fairness throughout the negotiation. During the negotiation, the recruiters jumped at the chance to handle things on the spot when possible, yet admit when they didn't know an answer to a benefits question. It was the best recruiting experience I've ever had.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Cloudera in June 2015.

Interview

Spoke to a recruiter over the phone and gave the recruiter an overview of my career for about 10 minutes. The recruiter then asked me my current salary and I mentioned that I have a personal policy not to disclose that information for privacy reasons but would like to be paid approximately what Cloudera's main competitor (Hortonworks) is paying its employees for a similar position. I then let the recruiter know what Hortonworks was paying, according to Glassdoor's salary listings. The recruiter then became very aggressive, and asked me two more times about my current salary level becoming increasingly more aggressive each time and even becoming somewhat "thuggish" as the call progressed. The recruiter even had the nerve to instruct me to "go find my tax return" and tell the recruiter what dollar amount was listed in the return's "salary" section. The recruiter stated that "every" person interviewed by Cloudera must disclose his or her current salary in order for the interview process to move forward. I mentioned that I felt this line of questioning was a bit inappropriate and antiquated - and was similar to asking someone if they were married, gay, Muslim, etc. Then the recruiter completely shut down the interview and did not even ask me if I had any questions about the job, Cloudera's work environment, etc. The recruiter also mentioned that things would probably not move forward, but that the recruiter would follow up with me within one business day. Then, two business days after my call with the recruiter I received an anonymous email from Cloudera Recruiting stating that the hiring process would not be moving forward. Note to Cloudera Executives: Based on this experience, it seems like Cloudera may actually be "contributing" to Silicon Valley's gender pay gap problem when Cloudera should really be trying to "eliminate" the issue.

Interview Questions

• What is your current salary level?   1 Answer

Cloudera Response

Jun 24, 2015 – Director of Global Talent Acquisition

We take all feedback on Glassdoor very seriously. We reviewed this specific situation internally. Ultimately for the hundreds of candidates we speak to every week, we are happy and confident that our ... More

Curriculum Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera in June 2015.

Interview

Great experience overall! Full process consisted of an initial conversation with a recruiter followed by two rounds of phone interviews with two interviews per round. First interview was a personality/role fit interview. The second was a more technical interview to dive deeper into my skills/experience and how I would tackle specific tasks that would be crucial to the role (where would I start in developing a course that I had little experience with before). The third interview was very similar, but with the most senior member of the team, and the final interview was with the hiring manager. Hear back fairly quickly that they thought the role would be a good fit. Throughout the process, the recruiter was very up front and transparent about everything, and was very responsive with any questions I had. I've interviewed at plenty of places that drag out the interview process, and provide little to no transparency, and Cloudera was not one of them.

Interview Questions

• Where would you begin in redesigning a course to incorporate new material?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cloudera in June 2015.

Interview

Interview was standard skype screen with a recruiter then a skype call with the hiring manager. The recruiter was nice. She asked for my GPA and activities in college which I thought was weird since I'm 4 years out of college and it's an entry level cold-calling position. Hiring manager was aloof and refused to answer some questions about product.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cloudera (Austin, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Incredible! From Application Submission to Hire took 8 business days. The entire process was classy and positive from start to finish. They believe in Skype interviews as opposed to phone calls only - big plus. Susan Webb went above and beyond the average screener's interview. She was warm, took time to understand my background, and even offered pointers to tweak my resume for the next round. Truly an exceptional experience -- especially when compared to the screeners from other major businesses in the tech industry.

Interview Questions

• Describe Cloudea's products and services and why a company would be interested in them.   1 Answer