Cloudera Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.1

General Applicant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Cloudera.

Interviewed with 4 people. Each interview was one hour each. Most had not looked at my resume beforehand and had no idea who I was or why I was there.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cloudera.

Applied through a referral. The recruiter got in touch the very same day and talked to the recruiter a couple of days later. He went over my resume to make sure I am qualified enough to actually talk with an engineer from the team. I was contacted for one position but I got called for an interview from a different team depending on my skills.

Interview with engineer :
    No nonsense. No small talk. No going over resume and projects either (could be because he didn't spot anything particularly interesting). He started with how the interview is going to be split. 20mins of coding question, 20 mins of concepts and 20 mins of other things.

Question : Write a function to do the "Exponentiation" . i.e power(a,b) where a is raised to b. Eg: power(3,2) gives 9. power(5,2) gives 25 etc.

I started with a naive approach of recursive multiplication, then he asked me about the complexity and asked me to give a better approach
    He worked with me in directing me to what he was looking for without giving out any clues or giving away the answer.
    This took 20-25 mins
    Then there were conceptual questions. Ranging from language specifics, algorithms to operating systems basics and synchronization. Some of the questions I remember are

1. Why did C++ introduce 'new' keyword when malloc was present in C
    2. What are virtual functions. What is the use?
    3. What are pure virtual functions. Why are they used?
    4. Difference between a thread and a process. (Depending on what you blurt, there will be some other questions on these), like what information does the thread stack have?
    5. What are the synchronization constructs? when to use spinlock and mutex?
    6. How is malloc implemented, give me the detailed description.
    7. Why do we have user mode and kernel mode?
    8. What is deadlock? what are the avoidance methods?

Again, the interviewer will have some topic in mind, but the questions asked will be on what you are speaking. They will definitely check whether you know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions
    • Explain detailed implementation of malloc and questions based on that   Answer Question

Customer Operations Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera.

There were 5 technical and 2 managerial interviews. Completed all interviews within 2 weeks.
    2 Technical phone rounds and the rest were on-site interviews.
    The people are awesome so I never felt nervous or worried.
    Best interview I have ever given.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all based on concepts. Nothing very challenging.
      Just a lot of questions. The knowledge breadth expectation is high for this position.
        Answer Question
    Was satisfied with the offer.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the HR contacted me very quickly. If you are very familiar with the algorithms and practice a lot, the questions they asked would not be very hard for you. If you passed the first round, the interviewer would tell you at once at the end of your interview.

Software Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera in June 2014.

I had a coding challenge and two rounds of phone interviews. The coding challenge wasn't hard, it was similar to a permutation problem, you can solve it using depth first search, but be sure to optimize your code.
    The first round of coding interview was a tree problem. If you know your tree traversal you're set.
    The second round was an array questions.
    I solved all the questions in the interview but was still rejected. They didn't get back to me about the rejection until 2 weeks later.

Engineering Intern Interview

Had phone interviews with virtually every member of the team I would join, mostly ranging from 30 minutes to an hour each. The first interviews were mostly non-technical, but I had a series of 3 back to back to back phone interviews (each an hour in length) that were very in depth. One was purely about mathematics theory and statistics, one was about java programming technique, and the third was a more algorithmic problem that the interviewer and I went through in pseudo code.

Interview Questions
    • The algorithm question was very difficult and required figuring out a grid search algorithm and analyzing its time complexity, and then various alternative implementations that would minimize data storage or the order of the algorithm.   Answer Question
    The offer was generous enough.

Service Delivery Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Cloudera in April 2014.

Lengthy process, first contacted in April 2014 for a quick phone screen and then passed on to a recruiting scheduling resource to schedule a set of two interviews with position peers (who was fantastic through the whole process). Following some scheduling challenges, completed both interviews IN May which seemed to go very well. Then...nothing. Have been following-up periodically with the scheduling resource, but it seems the position has been put on-hold, but still optimistic (i.e. in no hurry to find a new job as I'm looking for a position/experience in the big data space).

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, interviews were very conversational.   Answer Question

Technical Education Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cloudera in March 2014.

I had several phone interviews and was then invited to the San Francisco Office for an on site interview. I am not a young person, but I am also not ancient. I have lots of successful experience selling technology solutions. Upon my arrival at the Cloudera office, the very young person who greeted me announced that he had no further questions of me (beyond those covered on the phone). It was very blatant age discrimination, and at minimum, was very rude. I emailed HR and subsequently spoke with HR. HR was apologetic. No further interaction with this company.

Interview Questions
    • What was most difficult was to have been completely dismissed, upon sight.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera.

Initially, looking at the projects out at Cloudera, I presumed that the company was a good fit for my experience and really wanted to give it a shot. The whole process started off with a phone screen, which as usual is a trivial one, comprising of a standard interview question(Tree Traversal). Then was called on-site, once again it was a trivial game of puzzles out there, with nothing unexpected. Once all this was done, is where things started to turn nasty, I get back a reply stating that they did want to want to extend an offer, however one of interviews did not like me and was also told which particular person that was, the recruiting manager was a very nice person. Sadly I had done really well on that particular interview, rather than provide a single solution to his question, I proved that the same can be solved in 3 different ways, all in 45 minutes and still the guy was not happy. These interview processes are down right stupid with no logical reasoning behind the acceptance or rejection of a candidate. In the end it all boils down to personal preferences, which is truly sad, considering the plethora of wonderful candidates.

Take Away : Never trust the guys out here, they seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude. In the end it was good that they did not offer me a job as I am sure I would not have been contented working out there and also landed much better offer. Best of luck for all the others vying for a job here.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were hard. If you have reviewed all basic materials such as :
      (1) Trees
      (2) Linked-Lists
      (3) Recursion

you should not find the interviews hard at all. You can solve more than a couple of their questions in 45 minutes.
        Answer Question

Customer Operations Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera in March 2014.

I should have read the prior reviews of Cloudera before bothering to apply.
    I applied online in March then I received an email from senior recruiter that her lead should reach out to me
    since my profile was so strong. 1 week later, a phone interview with the hiring manager was set.

The hiring manager never called and missed his appointment! I pinged the recruiter and she replied they
    are looking for a hands on developer. I replied that I've been doing the same role for over 5 years.
    She replied back that she would forward my resume. Totally inept and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Worked for Cloudera? Contribute to the Community!