Cloudera Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

3.1

Sales Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

I submitted my resume through Cloudera's website and received a response within a couple of days. The interviewing process was very quick and methodical. Cloudera's hiring manager and recruiting team stated the steps involved with the interviewing process. They quickly answered any questions I had as they wanted me to completely understand what it is like to work at Cloudera. They also asked very good questions as they wanted to make sure that I was a good fit for not only the company, but also the team that I would be working with. I was given the opportunity to interview with a team member so that I could understand what a "day in the life" was on this team. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question was a couple of "What would you do in this situation" type questions.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was very straight forward.

Solutions Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

Friendly, relaxed verbal contact with internal recruiters during HR screen. They made constructive suggestions about resume tuning before forwarding for technical screening. HR emphasized likely topic areas for the technical screen, and offered postponement of the technical interview to allow for more study time. Technical screener was equally personable and friendly, but clearly held high expectations for accurate & immediate responses to their technical challenge questions; actual technical emphasis areas differed somewhat from HR's predictions. Came out with a positive impression of the organization and people, based on this experience.

Interview Questions
    • Diagnostic questions about system errors encountered in the field related to Linux system administration and Java run time. Advanced how-to questions on Java, scripting, databases, tying into system performance.   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

During the screening process the HR Dept was very diligent with the scheduling process and kept me well informed of what the process would be. I received an interview agenda / schedule in advance of the staff members who'd be interviewing me. When I arrived I was greeted by the receptionist who assisted me to my first interview. The staff members presented great questions that applied to the job as well as my back ground etc. I was provided ample time to provide responses or explanations based on the questions presented. The environment was pleasings without any feelings of pressure etc. Overall it was a positive experience.

Straight forward and felt like I received an offer that I was looking for

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cloudera.

Got a call from the HR who set up the phone screening. Technical interviewer called up on the scheduled day and time and we got started. It was my first experience of online based coding test where he asked me to write a solution to some problem. I wasn't prepared and it took a lot of time to solve only two problems.

Services Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

Had calls with three levels of my bosses, head of sales, local sales manager, technology analyst, 2 peers, and HR. Most were conducted by phone and two were in person and everyone was great to talk to and had great things to say about the organization.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when you are not working?   View Answer
    We had agreed upon terms ahead of time... would have liked to get the # of shares ahead of time but they were not sure how many would be offered.

General Applicant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interviewed with 4 people. Each interview was one hour each. Most had not looked at my resume beforehand and had no idea who I was or why I was there.

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera in September 2014.

I applied through LinkedIn and was contacted by the Director the very next day. We connected over the phone about a week later and then I was brought in for an onsite interview immediately after.

My overall experience was a positive one. I met with five individuals from the recruiting team and they were all very welcoming and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions
    • Scenario questions about how to handle scheduling conflicts.   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera in September 2014.

Overall, I had a very positive interview experience. The process was very efficient - from the initial screening phone call with the senior recruiter to the on-site interviews and receiving the offer. Everyone was very professional, helpful with questions, and kept me informed throughout the process.The ongoing communications from the HR team and the hiring manager were great and a big plus. I was also very impressed with the high energy and commitment from everyone I met that Cloudera is an exciting company to be a part of and is growing quickly.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions. Most questions related to specific areas of my experience.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cloudera.

Applied through a referral. The recruiter got in touch the very same day and talked to the recruiter a couple of days later. He went over my resume to make sure I am qualified enough to actually talk with an engineer from the team. I was contacted for one position but I got called for an interview from a different team depending on my skills.

Interview with engineer :
    No nonsense. No small talk. No going over resume and projects either (could be because he didn't spot anything particularly interesting). He started with how the interview is going to be split. 20mins of coding question, 20 mins of concepts and 20 mins of other things.

Question : Write a function to do the "Exponentiation" . i.e power(a,b) where a is raised to b. Eg: power(3,2) gives 9. power(5,2) gives 25 etc.

I started with a naive approach of recursive multiplication, then he asked me about the complexity and asked me to give a better approach
    He worked with me in directing me to what he was looking for without giving out any clues or giving away the answer.
    This took 20-25 mins
    Then there were conceptual questions. Ranging from language specifics, algorithms to operating systems basics and synchronization. Some of the questions I remember are

1. Why did C++ introduce 'new' keyword when malloc was present in C
    2. What are virtual functions. What is the use?
    3. What are pure virtual functions. Why are they used?
    4. Difference between a thread and a process. (Depending on what you blurt, there will be some other questions on these), like what information does the thread stack have?
    5. What are the synchronization constructs? when to use spinlock and mutex?
    6. How is malloc implemented, give me the detailed description.
    7. Why do we have user mode and kernel mode?
    8. What is deadlock? what are the avoidance methods?

Again, the interviewer will have some topic in mind, but the questions asked will be on what you are speaking. They will definitely check whether you know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions
    • Explain detailed implementation of malloc and questions based on that   Answer Question

Customer Operations Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera.

There were 5 technical and 2 managerial interviews. Completed all interviews within 2 weeks.
    2 Technical phone rounds and the rest were on-site interviews.
    The people are awesome so I never felt nervous or worried.
    Best interview I have ever given.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were all based on concepts. Nothing very challenging.
      Just a lot of questions. The knowledge breadth expectation is high for this position.
        Answer Question
    Was satisfied with the offer.