Cloudera

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Cloudera

Interview Details – I applied online and the HR contacted me very quickly. If you are very familiar with the algorithms and practice a lot, the questions they asked would not be very hard for you. If you passed the first round, the interviewer would tell you at once at the end of your interview.

Interview Question – Networking questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera.

Interview Details – Initially, looking at the projects out at Cloudera, I presumed that the company was a good fit for my experience and really wanted to give it a shot. The whole process started off with a phone screen, which as usual is a trivial one, comprising of a standard interview question(Tree Traversal). Then was called on-site, once again it was a trivial game of puzzles out there, with nothing unexpected. Once all this was done, is where things started to turn nasty, I get back a reply stating that they did want to want to extend an offer, however one of interviews did not like me and was also told which particular person that was, the recruiting manager was a very nice person. Sadly I had done really well on that particular interview, rather than provide a single solution to his question, I proved that the same can be solved in 3 different ways, all in 45 minutes and still the guy was not happy. These interview processes are down right stupid with no logical reasoning behind the acceptance or rejection of a candidate. In the end it all boils down to personal preferences, which is truly sad, considering the plethora of wonderful candidates.

Take Away : Never trust the guys out here, they seem to have a very lackadaisical attitude. In the end it was good that they did not offer me a job as I am sure I would not have been contented working out there and also landed much better offer. Best of luck for all the others vying for a job here.

Interview Question – None of the questions were hard. If you have reviewed all basic materials such as :
(1) Trees
(2) Linked-Lists
(3) Recursion

you should not find the interviews hard at all. You can solve more than a couple of their questions in 45 minutes.
  Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Cloudera in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview where in coding in your prefered language was to be done on an interactive website

Interview Question – Question 1:Given an m*n matrix with all its elments=1. Also given a list of (x,y) points. The question was to make the elements of xth row and yth column as zero. Optimise it.

Question 2: Array Pair sum, provide O(N) solution
  View Answers (2)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Cloudera in August 2013.

Interview Details – The process was pretty straightforward. I gave my resume to an internal employee who forwarded to his hiring manager. I was contacted within 4 days by a recruiter, who asked for my availability. She promptly messed up my schedule (date) and it had to be corrected the day before. The schedule changed a few times, but it's not unusual for a huge ars company such as Cloudera where many different people have different scheduling conflicts.

My day consisted of 4 people doing technical interviews, 1 lunch, 1 manager, 1 HR.

I didn't get a sense that people were that passionate about what they were doing, and once again this is not unusual for people in the enterprise field: they are creating products that they personally don't use on an every day basis. In addition, the technical interviews were a complete mess: people would ask the same set of questions (same class of recursion problems) over and over again, so the technical coverage is actually pretty low. In addition, one of the interviewers, who was the lead, was asking irrelevant OS questions as if to assert his superior knowledge.

In short, don't get me wrong. Cloudera is doing really great things for the enterprise world but it is a huge ars company filled with corporate-heads and things seem to move slowly as one would expect from a huge ars company. People are there because they like the stability and status quo.

Interview Question – They tend to be of recursive natures where you have to find all permutation of some problem. They're all the same class of questions.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cloudera in May 2012.

Interview Details – I had a phone-screen from Cloudera last Thursday. The call went well except I really had a hard time understanding the interviewer due to his thick accent. His questions were quite open-ended and so we had to go back and forth multiple times before we decided on what he really intended on asking in the first place. But I was able to answer most of his questions properly and he seemed quite impressed with the quality of correct answers. One of the answers however he wasn't sure about, but he didn't bother clarifying or giving me the answer that he was looking for. I asked him for clarification but he kind of ignored my request and moved on with his questions. At times he seemed quite rude because I think he was getting frustrated trying to explain things concisely, but I didn't give it much significance as I attributed it to the communication problem we were having. I kept up a good attitude and carried on. I can't really say if the screening went well since I was left in a lot of doubt regarding the communication barrier.

Interview Questions

• Generate a random 4 letter word from /usr/share/dict/words

A
      Answer Question
  • 1TB of data on my laptop --> sort the data   Answer Question
  • Distributed Merge Sort algorithm   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cloudera in March 2012.

Interview Details – Wait for almost two months to get a phone interview, the interviewer was polite and patient, but I knew I performed very bad.

Interview Question – A file contains a billion integers, try to find any one integer that is not in the file.   View Answer

Software Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Cloudera in February 2013.

Interview Details – I was asked what Cloudera is doing and my projects. The interviewer asked two questions. I couldn't remember the first one. The second one is to find the total number of 1s in a byte array.

Interview Question – The questions are normal. I didn't prepare well enough.   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cloudera in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had applied online and was contacted by recruiter within few days. After the initial discussion about the company and my experience I was scheduled for a phone interview.

The phone interview was not good as the guy was not speaking clearly. He was not understanding my statements and was asking me to repeat it multiple times. This was making me frustrated as he could not understand my words. Even though all my answers were correct, I was feeling frustrated as he was not grasping all the words.

Interview Questions

• How would you find two numbers that add to a sum in an array?   Answer Question
  • How would you find three numbers that add to a sum in an array?   Answer Question
  • How would you implement hash table on your own? Write the code for implementing your own hash table?   Answer Question

Worked for Cloudera? Contribute to the Community!