Cloudera Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cloudera (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had a couple of phone interviews which went reasonably well but I was never called onsite. When I followed up I got the standard reply of "Thank you for your patience and we will let you know". My interview experience could be a one off because of incompetent recruiters though, because the interviewers were quite courteous, but maybe one of them forgot to enter the feedback on time.

It's a shame, because it seems like a great company to work for (apart from their unprofessional recruiting team) and the interview went quite well. And even if it didn't go well, it wouldn't hurt to inform the candidate about the result - doesn't reflect very well on their recruiting team's culture!!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Cloudera

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

I was asked to implemented a algorithm in text. It's not very hard but the interviewer kept pushing me writing the code. It's not patient and friendly. This is the worst interview I ever had until now.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cloudera (Tampa, FL) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email to complete an online coding test from codility.com. 2 questions in 70 minutes. One about finding common minimum from 2 arrays. Other about string calculator using stack. I messed up the second question and ran out of time before I could fix my mistake.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

The interview was mediocre . I provided answer with time complexity of O(n) while the interviewer wanted the textbook answer with time complexity of O(n) + O(n). In all theory books even though o(n) + o(n) is same as O(n) the fact is n < 2n, but maybe it was difficult for interviewer to understand the code I was writing because of her mediocre mind :) . I would definitely think twice before working for this company.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cloudera (San Jose, CA).

Interview

HR called to schedule an interview with one of Cloudera engineers. While I told them that I am a java developer the interview consisted mostly of C questions. There was a programming question during my phone interview to find the power of a number in log n solution but the interviewer said it was too complicated for him to understand. The optimum solution is using bitwise operators and I don't think any person will get to the bitwise solution in the given time. I used regular java to solve it and I got it right but the interviewer didn't try to understand it. Then he carried on asking C questions about virtual functions and how they work. He is questioning my knowledge on virtual table and all. Though I answered him he didn't seem like he understood what I am saying and the explanation he gave is wrong as well. He just skipped telling me the answer saying "you have to google it". Interview was pathetic. I don't want to interview with Cloudera in the near future if this person is the one doing phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• difference between malloc and new. How malloc works internally.   Answer Question

Cloudera Response

Nov 3, 2014Director of Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We encourage all feedback Positive or Negative. Your comments have been noted and we will discuss this with our Engineering team. 'Candidate Experience' is very important to ... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Got a call from the HR who set up the phone screening. Technical interviewer called up on the scheduled day and time and we got started. It was my first experience of online based coding test where he asked me to write a solution to some problem. I wasn't prepared and it took a lot of time to solve only two problems.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cloudera.

Interview

Applied through a referral. The recruiter got in touch the very same day and talked to the recruiter a couple of days later. He went over my resume to make sure I am qualified enough to actually talk with an engineer from the team. I was contacted for one position but I got called for an interview from a different team depending on my skills.

Interview with engineer :
    No nonsense. No small talk. No going over resume and projects either (could be because he didn't spot anything particularly interesting). He started with how the interview is going to be split. 20mins of coding question, 20 mins of concepts and 20 mins of other things.

Question : Write a function to do the "Exponentiation" . i.e power(a,b) where a is raised to b. Eg: power(3,2) gives 9. power(5,2) gives 25 etc.

I started with a naive approach of recursive multiplication, then he asked me about the complexity and asked me to give a better approach
    He worked with me in directing me to what he was looking for without giving out any clues or giving away the answer.
    This took 20-25 mins
    Then there were conceptual questions. Ranging from language specifics, algorithms to operating systems basics and synchronization. Some of the questions I remember are

1. Why did C++ introduce 'new' keyword when malloc was present in C
    2. What are virtual functions. What is the use?
    3. What are pure virtual functions. Why are they used?
    4. Difference between a thread and a process. (Depending on what you blurt, there will be some other questions on these), like what information does the thread stack have?
    5. What are the synchronization constructs? when to use spinlock and mutex?
    6. How is malloc implemented, give me the detailed description.
    7. Why do we have user mode and kernel mode?
    8. What is deadlock? what are the avoidance methods?

Again, the interviewer will have some topic in mind, but the questions asked will be on what you are speaking. They will definitely check whether you know what you are talking about.

Interview Questions

• Explain detailed implementation of malloc and questions based on that   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cloudera in August 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got the response from the HR one day after. Surprisingly, I was not ask to take the HR screening. But I took two technical interviews very soon. The interviews focused on the OS internals, multi-threading programming and data structure/algorithm. It was not very hard. The interviewers will explicitly tell you if you can move to the next round at the end of the interview. After the two tech phone interviews, I had a 30 mins non-technical phone call with the hiring manager. I guess it was for the culture fit. Then I schedule the onsite interview 4-5 days after. In the onsite interview, I met 6 interviewers. Five of them were for technical screen, and the last one was again for the culture fit. The technical questions were not super hard. If you have carefully prepared for OOP/OS internals/multithread programming/data structure/algorithm, you should be fine. The design session was for a large scale system. I would suggest you think loud when you are trying to solve the problem. BTW, practice the whiteboard skills a bit. Two days after the onsite interview, I heard from the hiring manager the interview feedback was very strong and the company decided to move further. The whole hiring process was very efficient.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cloudera in August 2014.

Interview

My interview with Cloudera went a little differently than it conventionally does. My understanding is that, normally, Cloudera likes to give a phone screen, fly you out to HQ in Palo Alto, and have a 4-5 person technical interview process.

For various personal reasons, I was unable to fly out in the timeframe they wanted. They were very accommodating and worked to do a remote interview Google Hangouts and phone calls when necessary. I had 5 technical interviewers who asked me a gamut of technical questions, ranging from hands on live coding to heady conceptual questions that demonstrated the understanding of OS level concepts.

I personally thought the interview process was pretty typical for a Silicon Valley company, and I didn't find it particularly brutal or unexpected.

Interview Questions

• I had one question which, while not particularly difficult in retrospect, was just not clicking with me at the moment (testing the validity of a BST). The interviewer in question didn't quite prod me in directions that helped, and there was no way to live test the algorithm I was writing, so it was difficult to say whether or not I was heading in the right direction.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had several job offers on the table and an extremely tight timeline, so they gave me what I considered to be a very fair offer off the bat. I accepted very quickly.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online and the HR contacted me very quickly. If you are very familiar with the algorithms and practice a lot, the questions they asked would not be very hard for you. If you passed the first round, the interviewer would tell you at once at the end of your interview.