CoStar Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.5

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group in August 2015.

Interview

I learned of CoStar on LinkedIn. I was impressed with the recruiter who proactively recognized the benefits of my background with CoStar's requirements. She represented the company very well and I found her to be professional, friendly and knowledgeable. She was prompt with follow-up materials so I could learn more. After several discussions, we agreed that this particular opportunity was not the optimal fit.

Interview Questions

• Open-ended questions regarding how my strengths meet the requirements of an outside territory assignment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Rockville, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

They do not take your resume into consideration and the experiences you have acquired. In case you want to be stuck on a phone calling clients 60% of the time doing some marketing, then stay with Costar. If you want a career path, then move on and search somewhere else because Costar is not worth it.

Interview Questions

• What is the Research Associate Role?   1 Answer

I do not see myself in a marketing role

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by internal talent acquisition for initial screening. I then had a technical phone screening with lead developer followed by 2 panel style interviews onsite. I was told a decision would be made in a few days. 2 weeks of silence followed. The decision was implied. Unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What 3 things would you need on the first day to get your job done?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very cordial but I felt as though the posting was highly dishonest. This is advertised as a 'research' position where you will gain technical knowledge of the real estate industry. I have an advanced degree and recently moved to the area. I have experience in research and applied to a large number of research type jobs in the area at e.g. Booz Allen, Deloitte etc. However, when the interviewer started talking about research and analysis it became clear that she didn't know what those words mean in a professional context. She told me you do research by googling things and entering the answers into a database. I was then told that you spend 60% of your time at this place on the phone asking real estate brokers questions. Also not research. I came to the conclusion that this position has nothing to do with research and has virtually no opportunity for career advancement. If you just need a job for some money this is fine. If you want a career or to gain skills, this is not the place for you.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive. - 45 minute phone screening -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management). Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a basic interview process. It started with about 20-25 minute relaxed phone interview. If you are invited for an onsite interview, you have a brief tour of the facility, job shadow with a current research associate, have a mock phone call exercise (basically read from a script) do a panel interview and then you are done.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Glad to know I am not the only one that has had difficulty with follow through/follow up or as I should say, a lack thereof. I applied online April 3rd through LinkedIn. Received an email to setup a day and time for a phone screening, never heard back until two days later with a day and time. Great! I am all set and ready to go. Friday comes around and no phone call until 10 minutes later. She rolls quickly through questions really not taking the time to listen and said she will be moving me to the next round of interviews for the following week. I sent her a Thank You note along with my resume AGAIN on Friday. Still as of today I have not heard anything back. I have emailed twice to make sure she received my resume (being as she didn't have it the first time) and also to follow up on next steps. Lack of professionalism and this is just maybe a sign of things to come. I will NOT be moving forward in my interviewing process with them. Too bad, because I do feel they have a great product/service to sell the apartment community. And to be clear I did not get an offer because I did not continue with the interviewing process.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin and I received an email on March 11th asking when I would be free for an interview within the next week. I provided 3 times slots. Did not receive correspondence until March 26th, when the recruiter said she was sorry for the late response and asked for a time to speak. She stated that she would call for an interview on April 1st. She never called and I received an email an hour later saying she was sorry and when was another good time. She said she would call April 6th at 2pm. It is now 3:11 pm on April 6th and I have not received a phone call or an email from her.

Interview Questions

• Can you interview with us?   1 Answer

Advertising Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Colorado Springs, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

I had a 20-30 minute phone screen with a recruiter. Then I had a phone screen with a very disrespectful hiring manager. It was a typical phone screen (go thru resume, why are you a good fit?). Then he told me I'm not what they're looking for in this position and told me if I want to be considered for a face to face interview, that I need to put together an information packet on apartments.com, their competitors, benefits, 30-60-90 day plan, etc... An assignment like this is typical to present at a second interview. It's not okay to ask someone to send this info and if they like it, you might get a face to face interview. I was totally insulted that he even asked me to do this. I can only imagine how he treats his reps! Costar- if you teach your sales managers to treat candidates like this, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Los Angeles Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CoStar Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

No follow up. After applying for this job through LinkedIn, I received an InMail (LinkedIn email) from an HR person in the CoStar Corporate Office in Washington D.C. the next day asking for a phone interview. The phone interview the following day was very cordial, although the interviewer admitted he didn't know much about the position I applied for. After 30 minutes, he replied he would definitely recommend me for the job to the hiring manager in Los Angeles. Although I sent the interviewer a thank you InMail, I never received a request for an interview from the hiring manager in Los Angeles after 10 days.