CoStar Group

Getting the Interview

114 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Question – Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Junior Software Developer Interview

San Luis Obispo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied through LinkedIn and spoke with recruiter. Took about a week to schedule a preliminary interview. Interview with recruiter was simple questions to get to know you and was then scheduled for a technical interview on the phone. Technical phone interview asked about current projects and knowledge of web development tools. Asked to describe how to create a javascript function. Afterwards was asked various OOP questions such as the difference between an interface and an abstract class. Ended with a database question to create a Person data table.

Interview Question – Describe the creation process for a JavaScript function.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Question – What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Question – "do you have any commercial real estate experience"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – its a all-set position, no negotiating

Research Associate I Interview

I applied online and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – I applied online then got an email to schedule a phone interview. Scheduled a phone interview but interviewer called to say a there was a scheduling error and a different person would call me for another phone interview. I scheduled another one and they never contacted me again even after I sent an email.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at CoStar Group in February 2014.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume on LinkedIn towards the end of December. I received a call back form the recruiter late January for a phone screen. Talked for about 30 minutes. I passed the screen and went for a 3 hour in-person interview in their Boston office.

I spoke with 8 people. I had a lot of questions but most were concentrated on my skills/experience and how helped the role. I also asked a lot of questions about the role.

A few days after the interview, the recruiter called to say my interview went well and the hiring manager and interviewers liked my background but they still have a few more candidates to interview. I followed up in a week since I didn't hear any news, the recruiter mentioned that final decisions were made the next day. A few days went by and I followed up with the recruiter to see if a decision has been made. I'm still waiting to hear back two weeks later. I assumed I didn't get the job.

It would have been a positive interview experience if I got a final yes or no for the job. I find it unprofessional to leave a candidate that has been through the final stages and not hear back.

Interview Question – Do you have relevant experience for the role?   View Answer

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, a phone interview was set up within a week. Had two over the phone interviews. Very basic, "tell me a time when you were..." Was later flown up to HQ in DC for a full-day interview and side-by-side. The interview is also basic, my first interviewer was reading questions off a piece of paper. Mind you, the job is going to require you to be on the phone all day, sometimes getting hung up on and yelled at, but they try to steer away from delving into that. Be more prepared for the job that you are applying for! You may be hypnotized by the thought of a good salary, analytical projects, fast growth... There are people on my team doing the same job for the past 2-4 years.

Got the job and was able to accept the position 10 months out, which is the only reason why I took the job. Accepted in January 2013, traveled for 9 months, then started in October.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you failed and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Applicants are coming through that building on a weekly basis.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview to see my interest. I was invited to interview in their headquarters. The interview took the whole day in their new and impressive facilities. I met with about 3 different managers all generally asking the same questions. Why was I interested and where I wanted to be in a few years. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – What was your favorite class at school that is unrelated to the industry and why.   Answer Question

Research Associate
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Research Associate I
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Two interview process. Cell rang during second interview, still got job. Must pass drug test.

Negotiation Details – $40k per year, no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CoStar Group

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group interview questions and advice. All 114 interview reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees and interview candidates.