CoStar Group Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very cordial but I felt as though the posting was highly dishonest. This is advertised as a 'research' position where you will gain technical knowledge of the real estate industry. I have an advanced degree and recently moved to the area. I have experience in research and applied to a large number of research type jobs in the area at e.g. Booz Allen, Deloitte etc.

However, when the interviewer started talking about research and analysis it became clear that she didn't know what those words mean in a professional context. She told me you do research by googling things and entering the answers into a database. I was then told that you spend 60% of your time at this place on the phone asking real estate brokers questions. Also not research.

I came to the conclusion that this position has nothing to do with research and has virtually no opportunity for career advancement. If you just need a job for some money this is fine. If you want a career or to gain skills, this is not the place for you.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive.

- 45 minute phone screening
    -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management).

Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a basic interview process. It started with about 20-25 minute relaxed phone interview. If you are invited for an onsite interview, you have a brief tour of the facility, job shadow with a current research associate, have a mock phone call exercise (basically read from a script) do a panel interview and then you are done.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Glad to know I am not the only one that has had difficulty with follow through/follow up or as I should say, a lack thereof. I applied online April 3rd through LinkedIn. Received an email to setup a day and time for a phone screening, never heard back until two days later with a day and time. Great! I am all set and ready to go.

Friday comes around and no phone call until 10 minutes later. She rolls quickly through questions really not taking the time to listen and said she will be moving me to the next round of interviews for the following week. I sent her a Thank You note along with my resume AGAIN on Friday.

Still as of today I have not heard anything back. I have emailed twice to make sure she received my resume (being as she didn't have it the first time) and also to follow up on next steps. Lack of professionalism and this is just maybe a sign of things to come. I will NOT be moving forward in my interviewing process with them. Too bad, because I do feel they have a great product/service to sell the apartment community.

And to be clear I did not get an offer because I did not continue with the interviewing process.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin and I received an email on March 11th asking when I would be free for an interview within the next week. I provided 3 times slots. Did not receive correspondence until March 26th, when the recruiter said she was sorry for the late response and asked for a time to speak. She stated that she would call for an interview on April 1st. She never called and I received an email an hour later saying she was sorry and when was another good time. She said she would call April 6th at 2pm. It is now 3:11 pm on April 6th and I have not received a phone call or an email from her.

Interview Questions

• Can you interview with us?   1 Answer

Advertising Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Colorado Springs, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

I had a 20-30 minute phone screen with a recruiter. Then I had a phone screen with a very disrespectful hiring manager. It was a typical phone screen (go thru resume, why are you a good fit?). Then he told me I'm not what they're looking for in this position and told me if I want to be considered for a face to face interview, that I need to put together an information packet on apartments.com, their competitors, benefits, 30-60-90 day plan, etc...
    An assignment like this is typical to present at a second interview. It's not okay to ask someone to send this info and if they like it, you might get a face to face interview. I was totally insulted that he even asked me to do this. I can only imagine how he treats his reps!
    Costar- if you teach your sales managers to treat candidates like this, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Los Angeles Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CoStar Group (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

No follow up.

After applying for this job through LinkedIn, I received an InMail (LinkedIn email) from an HR person in the CoStar Corporate Office in Washington D.C. the next day asking for a phone interview.

The phone interview the following day was very cordial, although the interviewer admitted he didn't know much about the position I applied for. After 30 minutes, he replied he would definitely recommend me for the job to the hiring manager in Los Angeles. Although I sent the interviewer a thank you InMail, I never received a request for an interview from the hiring manager in Los Angeles after 10 days.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in April 2015.

Interview

I interview with two separate employees. Both were very pleasant and genuinely interested in getting to know me and my career goals. The first interview was a little more scripted and the interviewer did not have all the answers to my questions concerning commission structure, etc. The second interview was very informal and more of a casual conversation.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group (Boston, MA).

Interview

1) Screening phone interview.
    2) Office interview: multiple panel interviews. They mostly explain what they do. Which is essentially push client data thru COMPASS model and provide results.
    3) HR follows up the next week informing a decision will be made by the end of the week. I did not receive any communication after that.

Interview Questions

• Are you comfortable training clients?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

I felt as if the phone screen was weird and I was being asked irrelevant repetitive questions. I was communicating with the recruiter through email and she decided to schedule a phone interview. Most recruiters would want to know your background and how it relates to the job. You know, things such as how many years of experience do you have? and the skill sets that you have. She didn't ask me anything like that. She kept asking me, "What are you looking for?" I would answer it in a way something like, "To contribute my established experience as an Analyst to this position". She was like, "What is that?......like contribute what?". This was the golden opportunity to explain everything about my background and how it relates to the position. Instead I was not able to continue for she kept asking me questions like, "What are your goals?" "What are you trying to accomplish?" I wanted to say, "My goal is to get this job! I would like to accomplish getting hired" lol, but at this point I was getting quite annoyed. She did not provide any information about the position and I felt as if I was being rushed the whole time. I could hear it in her voice that she was not interested. Even with the questions that I was asking, she had an annoyed tone in her voice when answering them. I asked maybe 1 or 2 questions when she asked me if I had any questions. I could have asked more, but when a person shows me that they are not interested, I feel like it's a waste of time to even continue. I thanked her for her time and I didn't hear from her ever again. What's funny is I meet all of the expectations of this position, but was not even able to talk about it because of her peculiar way of asking questions. Oh well! Their lost. On to the next one! I deleted all of her emails and kept it moving.

Interview Questions

• 1) What are your goals? 2)What are you trying to accomplish?   1 Answer