CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.5

94 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Contacted by phone from recruiter out of the DC office. I was given a high level overview of the position and it was stressed several times that this was/is NOT a sales position. We agreed to speak again in two days for a more formal phone screen. The next call was more to learn about past job duties from previous employers. Pretty Typical. It was made clear to me which questions would be asked of me in the face to face interview. The questions to expect and the way to answer them was given. That didn't bother me too much, but having read the very negative reviews of current and past research associates I declined the face to face meeting. Also, it seemed more and more of a cattle call to get warm bodies in through the door. The push was on to fill a training class. Initially I expressed that I couldn't interview within the time slot offered and was pretty much told that's the only time it was going to happen. That inflexibility gave me cause even more to think it's about numbers not accommodating quality talent.

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Research Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Hiring was way too fast to seem like a real job. I was called in days and offered the position within a week and all I did was one phone interviews.

The interview process is completely misleading, you are not doing research, you are not learning real estate, and you are not moving towards having a real career. You are a robot who calls mean people who often lie to you because the do not respect you as an adult or if they are honest they just treat you badly directly.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. I found that the turnover is so high that you pretty much cannot do anything during the interview to not get hired.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, they just said here is what you will make.

Research Associate Interview

Initial contact with an HR representative to ask prelim questions and set up a more formal phone interview with another HR representative. Typical interview questions. Received an invite for an in-person interview. The in-person interview is about three hours. You meet with a Research Manager who asks you typical interview questions. You then get to sit with a Research Associate who shows you the role you will be in. They will also ask you to perform a mock phone call where you read off a script. After that you meet with a Research Director and its more typical interview questions. Everything is behavioral and they want to see that you can hold a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you dealt with a difficult customer or client and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in August 2014.

The process was very quick. I applied on a Tuesday, was emailed on a Friday, spoke with a recruiter on the phone on Monday, interviewed in person on Friday. I was then offered the job that next Monday, meaning the entire application and interview process took less than two weeks - efficient! I found the interview to be comprehensive and provided me with enough information about the company and position to make an informed decision. The hour long mock phone call/shadow of a Research Associate gave great insight into the position.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

After submitting my resume, i was called immediately the next day by a college recruiter. During the first call we spoke a small bit about myself and scheduled an online interview. After the online interview, I was contacted for a telephone interview. Thats where my process ended.

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Submitted an application online and they reached out to me within a couple of weeks. Did the first two rounds within a 2 day period over the phone. Questions weren't too difficult, just asked about background and why you want to get into Real Estate

Interview Questions
    • Weren't any questions that stumped me, come prepared with a good question or two.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in April 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted the next day by a recruiter. We had a 20 minute long phone interview asking basic interview questions, providing an overview of the position and asking how my skills will be used to succeed in the position as a RA. He said he would call me an hour later for another phase of phone interviewing but never did. Instead, I received an email inviting me for an interview the next day.
    Upon arrival, I noticed the environment around the office was dull, everyone seemed to be demotivated and tense. And mind you this was not even close to clock-out time. To me, that was a red-flag!

Interview Questions
    • The director that interviewed me seemed not to know what exactly he was asking, kept explaining himself on numerous occasions.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CoStar Group.

I sent in an application, they called me on three separate occasions and were all friendly. they gave me relatively usually questions about the company and DC. what I would be doing with the team and etc. friendly interview process

Research Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Was referred by a professor to this company and got a call from a recruiter a couple of days after sending in my resume. Scheduled an initial phone interview for that week. Questions were pretty much exactly what you'd expect from an initial phone screen. She went over my resume, asked me why I was interested in CoStar and why I was interested in the commercial real estate industry. The rest were very general questions about how you work in teams, how you feel about having your performance measured, what traits and experiences do you think make you an ideal candidate for this position, etc. This only lasted about 15 minutes at which point she said she wanted to schedule a second phone interview with a manager before bringing me in to the Atlanta office where the position was located.

At this point I took advantage of my opportunity to ask her questions about the bad reviews for the company and specifically the research associate position. She didn't really have any good answers for me. She was deflecting, kept on saying that they are "taking on a new philosophy" in their Atlanta office. Problem is, she could not articulate that alleged change for me at all and many of the poor reviews I've seen are recent reviews from people in the Atlanta office. When I asked if they had any kind of interview or survey system to garner feedback from their current employees, she said "um...we have an exit survey." Red. Flag.

If I hadn't been referred, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the second phone interview but I went ahead and did it. It felt like a carbon copy of the first interview, save for a few additional technical questions about my experience working with databases and spreadsheets and my experience communicating over the phone with customers. I declined to fly to Atlanta to continue the interview process in person because it was clear to me that this position was simply not for me. It's a glorified telemarketing position where you cold call a bunch of property managers and brokers who don't want to talk to you to try and get information for the database out of them...all while being measured by a metrics system based on how many of your calls last over 2 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Couple situational questions about how you would handle an uncooperative customer on the phone...all very predictable interview questions besides that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

1. You are invited to an orientation on-campus after your resume fits their requirements.
    2. If they find you a good fit, you are invited to their HQ for whole day of interviews as well as given an overview of what the position would entail.

Interview Questions
    • How will your experiences in the past contribute to your ability as a potential Research Associate?   Answer Question

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!