CoStar Group

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Question – What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Question – "do you have any commercial real estate experience"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – its a all-set position, no negotiating

Research Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, a phone interview was set up within a week. Had two over the phone interviews. Very basic, "tell me a time when you were..." Was later flown up to HQ in DC for a full-day interview and side-by-side. The interview is also basic, my first interviewer was reading questions off a piece of paper. Mind you, the job is going to require you to be on the phone all day, sometimes getting hung up on and yelled at, but they try to steer away from delving into that. Be more prepared for the job that you are applying for! You may be hypnotized by the thought of a good salary, analytical projects, fast growth... There are people on my team doing the same job for the past 2-4 years.

Got the job and was able to accept the position 10 months out, which is the only reason why I took the job. Accepted in January 2013, traveled for 9 months, then started in October.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you failed and how did you overcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating. Applicants are coming through that building on a weekly basis.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – First interview was phone interview with HR. Asked general questions about my background and some situational questions (how I deal with stress and pressure, an example of leadership and teamwork). Second interview was with a Research Manager at the company's HQ in DC. She asked me general questions again as well as more about my interest in the position. The second half of the interview was with a Director which was even more laid back.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to manage a workload under pressure   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Question – Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Interviewed at CoStar Group

Interview Details – Starting with a phone interview, you then move to a Face to face interview then followed up by an on site interview.

Interview Question – What is your interest or understanding of Commercial Real-estate.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CoStar Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Question – They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question

Interviewed at CoStar Group

Interview Details – Had a phone interview and then interview day at their headquarters. Be sure to show how your background would help and apply to the position.

Interview Question – How much experience do you have cold calling?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in December 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied through my College's Career Center. I sent them a resume and heard back from Costar within 2 weeks. Once contacted, they asked me to fill out their online application and schedule an in-person interview at their Atlanta location. During this process, they contacted me regularly to ensure the process was a smooth as possible. The interview itself was a three part process. First I sat down with the Research Director and he asked several basic behavioral questions like "Describe a time when you were faced with a difficult task or resistance and you over came it." He also asked me questions like "Why are you interested in CoStar?" Next I met with a current research associate who walked me through the day to day operations and let me play with the system they use. After several minutes of this, they had me try a mock call with an employee to see how I would be at the job. Finally, I sat down with the office manager who asked me questions about my resume and described the traits and qualities needed for the position. I was able to ask any questions and concerns I had at this time. This concluded the interview process and I was contacted the following week with a verbal offer and the formal offer was emailed to me the same day. The offer stated that I had two days to respond; however, I was able to get an additional two weeks since Christmas and New Years were the following week. Overall the process was very easy and CoStar remained very professional and prompt through it all.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 2 years?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I declined because of personal family obligations and accepted a job offer elsewhere that allowed me more flexibility and proximity to my family.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CoStar Group

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees and interview candidates.