CoStar Group

Average Difficulty
90 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume, i was called immediately the next day by a college recruiter. During the first call we spoke a small bit about myself and scheduled an online interview. After the online interview, I was contacted for a telephone interview. Thats where my process ended.

Interview Question – Why the commercial real estate industry?   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Submitted an application online and they reached out to me within a couple of weeks. Did the first two rounds within a 2 day period over the phone. Questions weren't too difficult, just asked about background and why you want to get into Real Estate

Interview Question – Weren't any questions that stumped me, come prepared with a good question or two.   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in April 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was contacted the next day by a recruiter. We had a 20 minute long phone interview asking basic interview questions, providing an overview of the position and asking how my skills will be used to succeed in the position as a RA. He said he would call me an hour later for another phase of phone interviewing but never did. Instead, I received an email inviting me for an interview the next day.
Upon arrival, I noticed the environment around the office was dull, everyone seemed to be demotivated and tense. And mind you this was not even close to clock-out time. To me, that was a red-flag!

Interview Question – The director that interviewed me seemed not to know what exactly he was asking, kept explaining himself on numerous occasions.   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – I sent in an application, they called me on three separate occasions and were all friendly. they gave me relatively usually questions about the company and DC. what I would be doing with the team and etc. friendly interview process

Interview Question – there were no curveball questions at all   Answer Question

Research Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Was referred by a professor to this company and got a call from a recruiter a couple of days after sending in my resume. Scheduled an initial phone interview for that week. Questions were pretty much exactly what you'd expect from an initial phone screen. She went over my resume, asked me why I was interested in CoStar and why I was interested in the commercial real estate industry. The rest were very general questions about how you work in teams, how you feel about having your performance measured, what traits and experiences do you think make you an ideal candidate for this position, etc. This only lasted about 15 minutes at which point she said she wanted to schedule a second phone interview with a manager before bringing me in to the Atlanta office where the position was located.

At this point I took advantage of my opportunity to ask her questions about the bad reviews for the company and specifically the research associate position. She didn't really have any good answers for me. She was deflecting, kept on saying that they are "taking on a new philosophy" in their Atlanta office. Problem is, she could not articulate that alleged change for me at all and many of the poor reviews I've seen are recent reviews from people in the Atlanta office. When I asked if they had any kind of interview or survey system to garner feedback from their current employees, she said "um...we have an exit survey." Red. Flag.

If I hadn't been referred, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the second phone interview but I went ahead and did it. It felt like a carbon copy of the first interview, save for a few additional technical questions about my experience working with databases and spreadsheets and my experience communicating over the phone with customers. I declined to fly to Atlanta to continue the interview process in person because it was clear to me that this position was simply not for me. It's a glorified telemarketing position where you cold call a bunch of property managers and brokers who don't want to talk to you to try and get information for the database out of them...all while being measured by a metrics system based on how many of your calls last over 2 minutes.

Interview Question – Couple situational questions about how you would handle an uncooperative customer on the phone...all very predictable interview questions besides that.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1. You are invited to an orientation on-campus after your resume fits their requirements.
2. If they find you a good fit, you are invited to their HQ for whole day of interviews as well as given an overview of what the position would entail.

Interview Question – How will your experiences in the past contribute to your ability as a potential Research Associate?   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2014.

Interview Details – First got in contact through a job post on my university's career center website. Had an initial interview with a recruiter where we discussed the position and my skills that could be used for that position. Second interview was with a research director with a similar interview. Then I followed up again with the recruiter to discuss an offer.

Interview Question – If you were trying to obtain data from a broker who was not willing to share his information, what might you do?   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Question – Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Question – What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Question – "do you have any commercial real estate experience"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – its a all-set position, no negotiating

Interviews for Top Jobs at CoStar Group

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 90 interview reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees and interview candidates.