CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at CoStar Group (Rockville, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

They do not take your resume into consideration and the experiences you have acquired. In case you want to be stuck on a phone calling clients 60% of the time doing some marketing, then stay with Costar. If you want a career path, then move on and search somewhere else because Costar is not worth it.

Interview Questions

• What is the Research Associate Role?   1 Answer

I do not see myself in a marketing role

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very cordial but I felt as though the posting was highly dishonest. This is advertised as a 'research' position where you will gain technical knowledge of the real estate industry. I have an advanced degree and recently moved to the area. I have experience in research and applied to a large number of research type jobs in the area at e.g. Booz Allen, Deloitte etc. However, when the interviewer started talking about research and analysis it became clear that she didn't know what those words mean in a professional context. She told me you do research by googling things and entering the answers into a database. I was then told that you spend 60% of your time at this place on the phone asking real estate brokers questions. Also not research. I came to the conclusion that this position has nothing to do with research and has virtually no opportunity for career advancement. If you just need a job for some money this is fine. If you want a career or to gain skills, this is not the place for you.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive. - 45 minute phone screening -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management). Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a basic interview process. It started with about 20-25 minute relaxed phone interview. If you are invited for an onsite interview, you have a brief tour of the facility, job shadow with a current research associate, have a mock phone call exercise (basically read from a script) do a panel interview and then you are done.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

I applied on Linkedin and I received an email on March 11th asking when I would be free for an interview within the next week. I provided 3 times slots. Did not receive correspondence until March 26th, when the recruiter said she was sorry for the late response and asked for a time to speak. She stated that she would call for an interview on April 1st. She never called and I received an email an hour later saying she was sorry and when was another good time. She said she would call April 6th at 2pm. It is now 3:11 pm on April 6th and I have not received a phone call or an email from her.

Interview Questions

• Can you interview with us?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in December 2014.

Interview

The most unprofessional people I have ever came across in my professional career. I went through the on the phone interview and it went well so I eagerly came in for a 3 hour in person interview. Everything seemed to go well and the recruiter Afzaa Nathani told me that they would get back to me in a couple of days. I proceeded to write a hand written letter to every person that I came into contact with from the interview. I received no follow up call from anyone from CoStar. I continued to call each these individuals as well and I did not receive a reply from anyone. It is hilarious that a company whose business model is based off of following up with their clients, could not even follow up with people that they are recruiting for their company. Thankful I found a job in DC that I love but this will not stop me from bad mouthing CoStar to my colleagues. I would still like a response.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a broker will not give you information?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Contacted by phone from recruiter out of the DC office. I was given a high level overview of the position and it was stressed several times that this was/is NOT a sales position. We agreed to speak again in two days for a more formal phone screen. The next call was more to learn about past job duties from previous employers. Pretty Typical. It was made clear to me which questions would be asked of me in the face to face interview. The questions to expect and the way to answer them was given. That didn't bother me too much, but having read the very negative reviews of current and past research associates I declined the face to face meeting. Also, it seemed more and more of a cattle call to get warm bodies in through the door. The push was on to fill a training class. Initially I expressed that I couldn't interview within the time slot offered and was pretty much told that's the only time it was going to happen. That inflexibility gave me cause even more to think it's about numbers not accommodating quality talent.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Initial contact with an HR representative to ask prelim questions and set up a more formal phone interview with another HR representative. Typical interview questions. Received an invite for an in-person interview. The in-person interview is about three hours. You meet with a Research Manager who asks you typical interview questions. You then get to sit with a Research Associate who shows you the role you will be in. They will also ask you to perform a mock phone call where you read off a script. After that you meet with a Research Director and its more typical interview questions. Everything is behavioral and they want to see that you can hold a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you dealt with a difficult customer or client and how you resolved the issue.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in August 2014.

Interview

The process was very quick. I applied on a Tuesday, was emailed on a Friday, spoke with a recruiter on the phone on Monday, interviewed in person on Friday. I was then offered the job that next Monday, meaning the entire application and interview process took less than two weeks - efficient! I found the interview to be comprehensive and provided me with enough information about the company and position to make an informed decision. The hour long mock phone call/shadow of a Research Associate gave great insight into the position.

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview

Submitted an application online and they reached out to me within a couple of weeks. Did the first two rounds within a 2 day period over the phone. Questions weren't too difficult, just asked about background and why you want to get into Real Estate

Interview Questions

• Weren't any questions that stumped me, come prepared with a good question or two.   Answer Question