CoStar Group

CoStar Group Research Associate Interview Questions in Washington, DC

2.5

54 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Questions
  • What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CoStar Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question
    no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in October 2013.

I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Sent application via Linked in. Contacted two days later for a phone interview. Phone interview went well. Brought in for formal interview and onboarding. While I was impressed with the office, the surroundings, and the presentation by HR, my previous research on the company raised some concerns. Did not accept offer.

Interview Questions
    • "Will you be committed for at least a year" hit me as odd. Then recruiter explained a "two thirds" turnover rate. Red Flag.   Answer Question

It seemed too good to be true, and based on other sources, it is.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through a career fair at my college. Interviewed at my school then they flew me out to do an all day thing which includes two more interviews, and a "side-by-side", building tour, and some presentations. They called me back about a week or two later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All very typical interview questions, but "why do you want to work for a company in the commercial real estate industry?"   View Answer
    none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Very simple and to the point. They will ask about your resume and your interest in commercial real estate.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? (After reviewing Glass Door's reviews.)   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. They gave a number and it was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in April 2013.

For background, was recruited after applying over Linked In. Started with email contact by recruiter, who was nice. interviewed with recruiter over the phone first. Since they're a DC based company and i don't live there (about 300 miles away) they offered to fly me down there. i just had to get interviewed over the phone by a manager. went through that and set up flight. this was then taken away from me for unexplained reasons. i moved on, but then a week later i got called again by the same recruiter saying they wanted to fly me down now. so they flew me down and put me into a hotel room for the night.

interview process goes from 9:30am to 2:00pm in one of the nicest office buildings ever right in the heart of dc within a 1/3 of a mile of 4 metro lines. interviewed first by manager, who would be your direct boss. was nice, young, and very friendly. next they put you on the floor with a Research Associate. he explains the basics, tests you on excel skill, (using it is important to job), puts you through a mock call, was a nice chill guy. my final interview was with your bosses boss. he was professional, as every was, but not as friendly.

This was unfortunately not a happy office, no one there really wanted to be there. the first two people i interviewed with said "yeah, this place isn't great like a lot of other places, but hey, it's a job!" needless to say that was the theme. come work here, we pay well and you can be in our fancy office! lots of great perks! but the office environment was just about as sad as could be found. a place where dreams go to die, everyone who worked there had a story of not finding a job in their major (history, creative writing, JD's, they take all sorts) so they ended up there.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was surprising for a place that uses excel and makes calls all day   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CoStar Group.

I randomly ran into a recruiter as he walked out the building in DC. I had a quick interview via phone with him. Then I was brought to the dc headquarters for a day long interview process which included 2 interviews, lunch, a building tour, and a 'side by side' with a current researcher.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very generic and most asked you to describe a time or experience in which you dealt with a certain situation or overcoming a challenge. The hardest part for me was the simulated phone conversion test they give you. Make sure not to say "ummm" a lot.   Answer Question