CoStar Group

Getting the Interview

60 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

Interview Details – First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Question – Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Question – What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

Interview Details – took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Question – "do you have any commercial real estate experience"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – its a all-set position, no negotiating

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

Interview Details – Initial interview to see my interest. I was invited to interview in their headquarters. The interview took the whole day in their new and impressive facilities. I met with about 3 different managers all generally asking the same questions. Why was I interested and where I wanted to be in a few years. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – What was your favorite class at school that is unrelated to the industry and why.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Research Associate I
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Two interview process. Cell rang during second interview, still got job. Must pass drug test.

Negotiation Details – $40k per year, no negotiation.

Research Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Usually starts with a detailed phone screening call from recruiter, followed by a call-back for an interview with hiring manager and director.

Interview Question – None really, they asked all of the typical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated an extra week of vacation.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in August 2011.

Interview Details – First interview was phone interview with HR. Asked general questions about my background and some situational questions (how I deal with stress and pressure, an example of leadership and teamwork). Second interview was with a Research Manager at the company's HQ in DC. She asked me general questions again as well as more about my interest in the position. The second half of the interview was with a Director which was even more laid back.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to manage a workload under pressure   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Question – Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CoStar Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Question – They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at CoStar Group

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!

CoStar Group Videos

CoStar Group – Why Work for Us?

We’re CoStar Group. For 25 years we’ve made it a priority to help our employees achieve their best. From accounting and research, to marketing and product development, we know our success is reflected in in the success… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CoStar Group interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 60 interview reviews posted anonymously by CoStar Group employees and interview candidates.