CoStar Group

2.5

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Initial phone screen. Questions were straight forward, standard behavioral questions. This was followed by an in-person interview in their DC office with Research Managers. The questions delved deeper into my resume and qualifications as opposed to behavioral questions. The interviewers seemed unprepared with one doing all the talking and the other just listening.

Interview Questions
    • How would you persuade those unwilling to speak with you to divulge information?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Questions
    • What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Two interview process. Cell rang during second interview, still got job. Must pass drug test.

$40k per year, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group in November 2013.

First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question
    no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in October 2013.

I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group in September 2013.

Applied on LinkedIn, was immediately contacted by a recruiter. Interviewed with a recruiter, then a few days later set up what was supposed to be a 3 part interview. After meeting with the first person, it was 'rescheduled due to the 2nd person no longer being available.' When I asked if that was truly the case and they were not just blowing me off, I was assured we would finish the interview process the following week. When I called to set that up, I was told that they were no longer interested in my services due to the first interviewers review.

I can understand that I was not a good fit for the position, but would have appreciated more honesty in the interview process. During the interview process/tour, they stress the amenities of the building but shy away from the day to day responsibilities required of the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • What is your passion for Commerical Real Estate?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Sent application via Linked in. Contacted two days later for a phone interview. Phone interview went well. Brought in for formal interview and onboarding. While I was impressed with the office, the surroundings, and the presentation by HR, my previous research on the company raised some concerns. Did not accept offer.

Interview Questions
    • "Will you be committed for at least a year" hit me as odd. Then recruiter explained a "two thirds" turnover rate. Red Flag.   Answer Question

It seemed too good to be true, and based on other sources, it is.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CoStar Group.

They really bring out all the bells and whistles when they bring you to DC. The first thing they show you is the in home gym and the rooftop terrace. It seems like an attempt to impress you before you realize the job is not all its cracked up to be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through a career fair at my college. Interviewed at my school then they flew me out to do an all day thing which includes two more interviews, and a "side-by-side", building tour, and some presentations. They called me back about a week or two later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All very typical interview questions, but "why do you want to work for a company in the commercial real estate industry?"   View Answer
    none