CoStar Group Interview Questions in Washington, DC

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very cordial but I felt as though the posting was highly dishonest. This is advertised as a 'research' position where you will gain technical knowledge of the real estate industry. I have an advanced degree and recently moved to the area. I have experience in research and applied to a large number of research type jobs in the area at e.g. Booz Allen, Deloitte etc.

However, when the interviewer started talking about research and analysis it became clear that she didn't know what those words mean in a professional context. She told me you do research by googling things and entering the answers into a database. I was then told that you spend 60% of your time at this place on the phone asking real estate brokers questions. Also not research.

I came to the conclusion that this position has nothing to do with research and has virtually no opportunity for career advancement. If you just need a job for some money this is fine. If you want a career or to gain skills, this is not the place for you.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was very long and extensive.

- 45 minute phone screening
    -In person interview done in 3 parts : HR / Recruiting Overview, side by side with a Research Associate (Mock phone call and simple excel exercise where they ask you to sort), and a panel interview( Two people from management).

Though the process was long, it was pleasant for the most part. The only issue I had was with the lack of professionalism when it came to letting the people you've interviewed know that you didn't see them fit for the position. They assure you that they will let you know their decision in the coming days but you don't hear from them unless they are sending an offer. All thank you and follow up letters are ignored. Even the recruiter who made empty promises and called/emailed you often to make sure you get to the interview doesn't respond. Jobs I didn't even get interviews for have the decency to send letters. A simple email takes two-seconds to write. It ruins the whole experience and leaves a negative outlook on the company.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to quickly adjust to a changing situation. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

It was a basic interview process. It started with about 20-25 minute relaxed phone interview. If you are invited for an onsite interview, you have a brief tour of the facility, job shadow with a current research associate, have a mock phone call exercise (basically read from a script) do a panel interview and then you are done.

Client Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and set up a Phone Interview. I did the interview and never heard back from them. I sent a follow up email but recieved no response there either. It is common curtesy to atleast confirm or deny I'm still in the running for the position especially since they contacted me.

Research Associate I Interview

Application

Interview

Initial phone screen. Questions were straight forward, standard behavioral questions. This was followed by an in-person interview in their DC office with Research Managers. The questions delved deeper into my resume and qualifications as opposed to behavioral questions. The interviewers seemed unprepared with one doing all the talking and the other just listening.

Interview Questions

• How would you persuade those unwilling to speak with you to divulge information?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Questions

• What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Interviewed in December for the DC office, still have not heard if I will be offered a position. Frustrating that they could invited me into an interview and still not tell me whether or not they would offer me a position. I had an interview on campus and then an all day interview at the office, seems unprofessional that they expect me to wait around this long for them. I don't graduate until May, but they should still let me know.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in commercial real estate? Nothing too out there   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Two interview process. Cell rang during second interview, still got job. Must pass drug test.

Negotiation

$40k per year, no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in November 2013.

Interview

First met Costar at our career fair. Very nice and engaging recruiters. one online interview and two personal interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain tough problem you encountered in the past and what you did to fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, full salary and benefits

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group (Washington, DC) in October 2013.

Interview

I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question