CoStar Group

Updated Jul 2, 2014

2.5

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group in May 2012.

I was selected to interview which I elected to have to pay for my flight. It was easy just study the company be ready to do a live call after you meet with a recuiter. Than you meet the manager who goes over the position. Afterwards, if you pass that you meet with the director who interviews you. The office is in a good location. Overall, the interview I thought was good.

Interview Questions

I declined the position the company refused to pay for my flight after I got the job. The company requested me to front the money for the flight. Additionally, I found the company salary is stated $40,000 eventhough, I am completing my MBA they can not come up on an offer. The job I had currently pays me more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CoStar Group.

I randomly ran into a recruiter as he walked out the building in DC. I had a quick interview via phone with him. Then I was brought to the dc headquarters for a day long interview process which included 2 interviews, lunch, a building tour, and a 'side by side' with a current researcher.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very generic and most asked you to describe a time or experience in which you dealt with a certain situation or overcoming a challenge. The hardest part for me was the simulated phone conversion test they give you. Make sure not to say "ummm" a lot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in January 2013.

It starts off with a phone interview asking you the traditional interview questions. After screening you to make sure you're not totally incompetent, they either send you to an on-campus interview session or straight through to HQ.

While their new "state-of-the-art building" is a wow-factor going in, you'll get a sense that something is amiss in the company. The research director was incredibly honest with me in saying they had a very high attrition/turnover rate within the first year. I think he said the number for research associate was 70% if not higher. There is a good reason for that. It seemed like a job you would get bored at very quickly. The pay may be high but the reason they do this is to try and incentivize better workers who won't shirk.

I was almost highly impressed by CoStar until I got through the final round of interviews. I was told I would receive a final decision within the week. I waited a week- no answer. I waited two weeks and placed a call to check in with them and they said they'd call me back which they did not. After finally a little over a month, I call for what was at least the fifth time only to be told that I was qualified for the position but that I was not "passionate enough" about the job and that I didn't give enough details about my experience. Maybe it was because I was recovering from the flu going in. But if you have enough passion for real estate, cold calling and sales, and can convince yourself that you want to stay here for more than a year- then have at it. But don't say the reviews didn't warn you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Questions
    its a all-set position, no negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

1. You are invited to an orientation on-campus after your resume fits their requirements.
    2. If they find you a good fit, you are invited to their HQ for whole day of interviews as well as given an overview of what the position would entail.

Interview Questions
    • How will your experiences in the past contribute to your ability as a potential Research Associate?   Answer Question

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Initial phone screen. Questions were straight forward, standard behavioral questions. This was followed by an in-person interview in their DC office with Research Managers. The questions delved deeper into my resume and qualifications as opposed to behavioral questions. The interviewers seemed unprepared with one doing all the talking and the other just listening.

Interview Questions
    • How would you persuade those unwilling to speak with you to divulge information?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

First step was a brief phone interview and then an on-campus one on one interview. The on campus interview had a series of behavioral questions, which the interviewer would let you pass on one if you felt it did not apply to any experiences you may have had given that it is an entry level position. The final step was a full day interview at the CoStar HQ. This was a very planned out recruiting day, with tours of the building, two interviews, panel discussions, and a side by side with a current research associate where you watched what they do and then make a mock phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very behavioral based, and the interviews at the HQ had conversational flow to it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

Started with an on campus interview that was with two of their HR reps. Interview was very straight forward with no unexpected questions. Second step was a full day at their DC headquarters filled with interviews, tours, shadowing, and presentations.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Very standard questions such as why commericial real estate and behavioral questions i.e. tell me a time when this or that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at CoStar Group in June 2012.

It was a very organized process, the recruiter meet with me and explained the position and was suppose to serve as my advocate. Then I met with a research manager, standard interview questions I suppose. Next, I did a mock call, and met with a director,

I had the distinct impression that while the Director liked me, she was not sure if I would be a good fit. It was a little drawn out but there were more individuals to balance out the impressions that I could have given.

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through a career fair at my college. Interviewed at my school then they flew me out to do an all day thing which includes two more interviews, and a "side-by-side", building tour, and some presentations. They called me back about a week or two later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All very typical interview questions, but "why do you want to work for a company in the commercial real estate industry?"   View Answer
    none