CoStar Group Interview Questions & Reviews in Washington, DC

62 interviews

2.5

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at CoStar Group.

I randomly ran into a recruiter as he walked out the building in DC. I had a quick interview via phone with him. Then I was brought to the dc headquarters for a day long interview process which included 2 interviews, lunch, a building tour, and a 'side by side' with a current researcher.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very generic and most asked you to describe a time or experience in which you dealt with a certain situation or overcoming a challenge. The hardest part for me was the simulated phone conversion test they give you. Make sure not to say "ummm" a lot.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at CoStar Group in January 2013.

It starts off with a phone interview asking you the traditional interview questions. After screening you to make sure you're not totally incompetent, they either send you to an on-campus interview session or straight through to HQ.

While their new "state-of-the-art building" is a wow-factor going in, you'll get a sense that something is amiss in the company. The research director was incredibly honest with me in saying they had a very high attrition/turnover rate within the first year. I think he said the number for research associate was 70% if not higher. There is a good reason for that. It seemed like a job you would get bored at very quickly. The pay may be high but the reason they do this is to try and incentivize better workers who won't shirk.

I was almost highly impressed by CoStar until I got through the final round of interviews. I was told I would receive a final decision within the week. I waited a week- no answer. I waited two weeks and placed a call to check in with them and they said they'd call me back which they did not. After finally a little over a month, I call for what was at least the fifth time only to be told that I was qualified for the position but that I was not "passionate enough" about the job and that I didn't give enough details about my experience. Maybe it was because I was recovering from the flu going in. But if you have enough passion for real estate, cold calling and sales, and can convince yourself that you want to stay here for more than a year- then have at it. But don't say the reviews didn't warn you.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in May 2012.

I was selected to interview which I elected to have to pay for my flight. It was easy just study the company be ready to do a live call after you meet with a recuiter. Than you meet the manager who goes over the position. Afterwards, if you pass that you meet with the director who interviews you. The office is in a good location. Overall, the interview I thought was good.

Interview Questions

I declined the position the company refused to pay for my flight after I got the job. The company requested me to front the money for the flight. Additionally, I found the company salary is stated $40,000 eventhough, I am completing my MBA they can not come up on an offer. The job I had currently pays me more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2012.

took about 3 hours, met with director, research manager and hr recruiter

Interview Questions
    its a all-set position, no negotiating

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2012.

It was a very organized process, the recruiter meet with me and explained the position and was suppose to serve as my advocate. Then I met with a research manager, standard interview questions I suppose. Next, I did a mock call, and met with a director,

I had the distinct impression that while the Director liked me, she was not sure if I would be a good fit. It was a little drawn out but there were more individuals to balance out the impressions that I could have given.

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Applied through a career fair at my college. Interviewed at my school then they flew me out to do an all day thing which includes two more interviews, and a "side-by-side", building tour, and some presentations. They called me back about a week or two later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All very typical interview questions, but "why do you want to work for a company in the commercial real estate industry?"   View Answer
    none

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2011.

I was recruited to work at CoStar. I spoke to the recruiter and came in for an interview the next day. They called me that afternoon with an offer. I accepted the next day. Now you meet with about 4 managers and they vote to hire you.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are just a conversation. Tell me about your experience / successes? Why do you want to work here? Then they tell you about the job and try to sell you on it. They want to excite you and have you really want to work here. If you show enthusiasm and competence then you will likely get hired.   Answer Question
    There are no negotiations for inside sales so don't try. Everyone gets the same base salary. If you want to make more, then sell more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in December 2011.

The interview process is very in-depth. There was a pre-screening call and then an in-person interview. During the actual interview, I met with a researcher, a manager, and a director. They did a good job of explaining the responsibilities and exceptions I would be given. Most of the questions they asked were about previous jobs and how the skills I had developed would translate to my new role.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about my experience with performance metrics and at the time, I honestly was unsure of what that was.   Answer Question
    There was none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in July 2012.

Someone from recruiting called me only a few days after I applied. I honestly didn't remember applying, but it seemed right. The phone interview came very quickly and was pretty easy. I was then invited in for a round of interviews at the D.C. office and was joined by 8-10 other applicants. I interviewed with two members of management and also shadowed an employee currently working as a Research Associate. Everyone was very warm and friendly, and seemed to care about us even as only prospective employees.

Interview Questions
    • None. All of the questions were expected and fairly easy to ramble through.   Answer Question
    The starting salary was non-negotiable and offered via E-mail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Phone interview followed by two in-person interviews. The big thing interviewers seemed to be looking for was someone who could be outgoing on the phone. The HR reps sdoing the recruiting appear to have quotas, and will be fairly helpful with feedback from early interviews to get you ready for the next rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Question along the lines of what had prepared me to ask people tough questions about commercial real estate when there might not be any immediate benefit to them for sharing the information with me.   Answer Question
    No negotiation -- flat salary and benefits offered.

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!