CoStar Group

62 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – They really bring out all the bells and whistles when they bring you to DC. The first thing they show you is the in home gym and the rooftop terrace. It seems like an attempt to impress you before you realize the job is not all its cracked up to be.

Interview Question – What stocks do you follow?   Answer Question

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in March 2012.

Interview Details – Usually starts with a detailed phone screening call from recruiter, followed by a call-back for an interview with hiring manager and director.

Interview Question – None really, they asked all of the typical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated an extra week of vacation.

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Question – Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through the campus career site and was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview. She asked about my interest in commercial real estate and gave me a chance to ask questions. Next was an awkward video interview, and then an on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was entirely behavioral. Next was the interview in DC. This was exactly the same as the on-campus interview. Interviewed with a research manager and a research director. Both were supposed to be behavioral, but in the interview with the director, he asked me why I wanted the position. He harped on the cold-calling and how boring the position is. He told me I was overqualified and asked many times why I was even interviewing for this position. Overall, CoStar is looking for moldable people who are going to do what they are told. Intelligence or your GPA are not even factors, they just want people who will blindly obey. Would be a good opportunity to get in with CoStar, but from my conversation, the manager told me I would be stifled at CoStar. Our conversation was very telling that there was no future for me with CoStar. Thought it was interesting that a manager would say this.

Interview Question – What have you recently learned about CoStar in the news?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in October 2010.

Interview Details – while the process became more selective during my time at CoStar, they hire anyone who can handle speaking to strangers without sounding nervous or unprofessional. If you are somewhat intelligent and outgoing, you will have a job offer within a few days

Interview Question – You are asked to conduct a mock phone call with a real estate broker during the interview   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview is very straight forward and they will ask basic questions. The initial steps are handled through the online application, then if you pass you are contacted by HR to set up in person interviews. There will be 2-3 of these, one with a manager and 1-2 with a Research Director.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, they are checking to see if you breathe.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, straight $40k entry level offer.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CoStar Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online with an internal refferal. I received and e-mail a couple days later requesting I complete a screening which was a breeze. I scheduled my phone interview in the screening and received a call the next day. Phone interview is basically about where you see yourself and to determine if you are articulate. FInally I scheduled the in-person interview, I first met with the research manager, then sat with another associate, and finally met with a director. The process was smooth and easy

Interview Question – Why are you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, the salary and benefits are laid out before hand.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in July 2011.

Interview Details – I received a request for a phone interview less than a day after I submitted my applications via Career Builder in response to an entry-level Research Associate post. Before the interview they had me fill out and return a simple form documenting and rating my skills, discussing career goals, and rating how my prior employers would judge my performance. The phone interview was largely based around my answers to these questions and provided an introducing to CoStar and the position. I was asked to come in for an interview, they didn't offer to reimburse for travel, which was disappointing. During the 1:1 interview I met with one of the Research Managers, who appeared unprepared and amateur. We went over my resume and she asked very basic questions, "what interest you about real estate, are you comfortable with competition, when have you ever had to conduct research or cold calling?" So say the least, within 5 minutes of starting the interview I wanted to leave. They then had me sit for 10 minutes with one of the current employees to see what CoStar does in action, it was painful. It then took them two weeks to inform me that I was not offered a job.

Interview Question – When have you been judged on a metric system? Do you have experience working on a metric?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in January 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online one morning, and got an email that same afternoon requesting that I fill out a questionnaire and schedule a phone interview. I did that immediately, and got a response from the recruiter, thanking me for finishing the questionnaire so quickly. We confirmed that she would call me for my phone interview between 10am and 10:30am the next morning.

I never received a call. At 11:00 I emailed the recruiter, stating that I understand she has a busy schedule, and that I was still interested in interviewing for the position. She IMMEDIATELY responded with "Can I call you in 10 minutes?" I told her yes. Another half hour goes by, and she finally decided to call. I got no apology, as she didn't seem to care about my wasted time. She then said she needed me to email the questionnaire...yes, the same one that she thanked me for finishing so quickly. I reminded her, and she found it. She gave me basic behavior questions, went over my resume, then scheduled the in-person interview for the next day. Awesome! She was very helpful in telling me how to prepare, so I forgave her for her bad morning behavior. Throughout the day, she emailed me documents to prepare for the next day: background check, references, directions, etc. All in separate emails....annoying, but fine, I want a job.

In all of the emails she sent me, at least three grammatical errors appeared. I know that not everyone is a stickler for grammar the way I am, but this is supposed to be a professional email.

Needless to say, the less-than-stellar Glassdoor reviews, the late phone interview, the grammatical errors, plus a strange request for me to dumb down my resume drove me to cancel my in-person interview. No need to waste my time or theirs.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I would have gone plum crazy.

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at CoStar Group in July 2011.

Interview Details – Very simple 1:1 interview

Interview Question – Why are you interested in commercial real estate?   Answer Question

Worked for CoStar Group? Contribute to the Community!