CoStar Group

Updated Jul 2, 2014

2.5

62 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Questions
    • Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group.

Very simple and to the point. They will ask about your resume and your interest in commercial real estate.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? (After reviewing Glass Door's reviews.)   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations. They gave a number and it was take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in April 2013.

For background, was recruited after applying over Linked In. Started with email contact by recruiter, who was nice. interviewed with recruiter over the phone first. Since they're a DC based company and i don't live there (about 300 miles away) they offered to fly me down there. i just had to get interviewed over the phone by a manager. went through that and set up flight. this was then taken away from me for unexplained reasons. i moved on, but then a week later i got called again by the same recruiter saying they wanted to fly me down now. so they flew me down and put me into a hotel room for the night.

interview process goes from 9:30am to 2:00pm in one of the nicest office buildings ever right in the heart of dc within a 1/3 of a mile of 4 metro lines. interviewed first by manager, who would be your direct boss. was nice, young, and very friendly. next they put you on the floor with a Research Associate. he explains the basics, tests you on excel skill, (using it is important to job), puts you through a mock call, was a nice chill guy. my final interview was with your bosses boss. he was professional, as every was, but not as friendly.

This was unfortunately not a happy office, no one there really wanted to be there. the first two people i interviewed with said "yeah, this place isn't great like a lot of other places, but hey, it's a job!" needless to say that was the theme. come work here, we pay well and you can be in our fancy office! lots of great perks! but the office environment was just about as sad as could be found. a place where dreams go to die, everyone who worked there had a story of not finding a job in their major (history, creative writing, JD's, they take all sorts) so they ended up there.

Interview Questions
    • nothing was surprising for a place that uses excel and makes calls all day   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CoStar Group.

I randomly ran into a recruiter as he walked out the building in DC. I had a quick interview via phone with him. Then I was brought to the dc headquarters for a day long interview process which included 2 interviews, lunch, a building tour, and a 'side by side' with a current researcher.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very generic and most asked you to describe a time or experience in which you dealt with a certain situation or overcoming a challenge. The hardest part for me was the simulated phone conversion test they give you. Make sure not to say "ummm" a lot.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

Initial interview to see my interest. I was invited to interview in their headquarters. The interview took the whole day in their new and impressive facilities. I met with about 3 different managers all generally asking the same questions. Why was I interested and where I wanted to be in a few years. Nothing too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • What was your favorite class at school that is unrelated to the industry and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

First step was a brief phone interview and then an on-campus one on one interview. The on campus interview had a series of behavioral questions, which the interviewer would let you pass on one if you felt it did not apply to any experiences you may have had given that it is an entry level position. The final step was a full day interview at the CoStar HQ. This was a very planned out recruiting day, with tours of the building, two interviews, panel discussions, and a side by side with a current research associate where you watched what they do and then make a mock phone call.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were very behavioral based, and the interviews at the HQ had conversational flow to it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CoStar Group in March 2013.

1st Round - Phone Interview with HR recruiter (if pleased they will ask you to come in on the phone at that moment) - Basic background questions in reference to education and professional experience. First question was, "Why do you want to work in commercial real estate?"

2nd Round - Consisted of three face-to-face interviews

- 1st with one of the many Research Managers
    - 2nd side-by-side with a current Research Associate
    - 3rd with one of the many Directors of Research

Group tour with other applicants at the end of the interviews...

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straight forward behavior questions, therefore none...   Answer Question

Could not match prior pay, vague in regards to future growth, would not allow relocation to another one of their offices.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

Started with an on campus interview that was with two of their HR reps. Interview was very straight forward with no unexpected questions. Second step was a full day at their DC headquarters filled with interviews, tours, shadowing, and presentations.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Very standard questions such as why commericial real estate and behavioral questions i.e. tell me a time when this or that.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CoStar Group in February 2013.

1. You are invited to an orientation on-campus after your resume fits their requirements.
    2. If they find you a good fit, you are invited to their HQ for whole day of interviews as well as given an overview of what the position would entail.

Interview Questions
    • How will your experiences in the past contribute to your ability as a potential Research Associate?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at CoStar Group in January 2013.

It starts off with a phone interview asking you the traditional interview questions. After screening you to make sure you're not totally incompetent, they either send you to an on-campus interview session or straight through to HQ.

While their new "state-of-the-art building" is a wow-factor going in, you'll get a sense that something is amiss in the company. The research director was incredibly honest with me in saying they had a very high attrition/turnover rate within the first year. I think he said the number for research associate was 70% if not higher. There is a good reason for that. It seemed like a job you would get bored at very quickly. The pay may be high but the reason they do this is to try and incentivize better workers who won't shirk.

I was almost highly impressed by CoStar until I got through the final round of interviews. I was told I would receive a final decision within the week. I waited a week- no answer. I waited two weeks and placed a call to check in with them and they said they'd call me back which they did not. After finally a little over a month, I call for what was at least the fifth time only to be told that I was qualified for the position but that I was not "passionate enough" about the job and that I didn't give enough details about my experience. Maybe it was because I was recovering from the flu going in. But if you have enough passion for real estate, cold calling and sales, and can convince yourself that you want to stay here for more than a year- then have at it. But don't say the reviews didn't warn you.