CoStar Group

Average Difficulty
62 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CoStar Group in June 2013.

Interview Details – First round is telephone then a web recorded interview.

Interview Question – Very basic questions. Few about yourself and your skill set.   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at CoStar Group in October 2013.

Interview Details – I contacted a recruiter and she placed me into their college recruitment program. I later completed a digital interview, followed by an in-person interview on campus, and then I was flown to DC to complete another in-person interview. The overall process has been great and I hope to hear back from them soon.

Interview Question – They asked me to define Commercial Real Estate in my own words.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in April 2011.

Interview Details – The interview is very straight forward and they will ask basic questions. The initial steps are handled through the online application, then if you pass you are contacted by HR to set up in person interviews. There will be 2-3 of these, one with a manager and 1-2 with a Research Director.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, they are checking to see if you breathe.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, straight $40k entry level offer.

Inside Sales Interview

Inside Sales
Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in November 2011.

Interview Details – I was recruited to work at CoStar. I spoke to the recruiter and came in for an interview the next day. They called me that afternoon with an offer. I accepted the next day. Now you meet with about 4 managers and they vote to hire you.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are just a conversation. Tell me about your experience / successes? Why do you want to work here? Then they tell you about the job and try to sell you on it. They want to excite you and have you really want to work here. If you show enthusiasm and competence then you will likely get hired.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There are no negotiations for inside sales so don't try. Everyone gets the same base salary. If you want to make more, then sell more.

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in December 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is very in-depth. There was a pre-screening call and then an in-person interview. During the actual interview, I met with a researcher, a manager, and a director. They did a good job of explaining the responsibilities and exceptions I would be given. Most of the questions they asked were about previous jobs and how the skills I had developed would translate to my new role.

Interview Question – I was asked about my experience with performance metrics and at the time, I honestly was unsure of what that was.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none

Research Manager Interview

Research Manager
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CoStar Group in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on LinkedIn, was immediately contacted by a recruiter. Interviewed with a recruiter, then a few days later set up what was supposed to be a 3 part interview. After meeting with the first person, it was 'rescheduled due to the 2nd person no longer being available.' When I asked if that was truly the case and they were not just blowing me off, I was assured we would finish the interview process the following week. When I called to set that up, I was told that they were no longer interested in my services due to the first interviewers review.

I can understand that I was not a good fit for the position, but would have appreciated more honesty in the interview process. During the interview process/tour, they stress the amenities of the building but shy away from the day to day responsibilities required of the candidates.

Interview Question – What is your passion for Commerical Real Estate?   View Answer

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Sent application via Linked in. Contacted two days later for a phone interview. Phone interview went well. Brought in for formal interview and onboarding. While I was impressed with the office, the surroundings, and the presentation by HR, my previous research on the company raised some concerns. Did not accept offer.

Interview Question – "Will you be committed for at least a year" hit me as odd. Then recruiter explained a "two thirds" turnover rate. Red Flag.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It seemed too good to be true, and based on other sources, it is.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – They really bring out all the bells and whistles when they bring you to DC. The first thing they show you is the in home gym and the rooftop terrace. It seems like an attempt to impress you before you realize the job is not all its cracked up to be.

Interview Question – What stocks do you follow?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group in October 2010.

Interview Details – while the process became more selective during my time at CoStar, they hire anyone who can handle speaking to strangers without sounding nervous or unprofessional. If you are somewhat intelligent and outgoing, you will have a job offer within a few days

Interview Question – You are asked to conduct a mock phone call with a real estate broker during the interview   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CoStar Group.

Interview Details – Applied through a career fair at my college. Interviewed at my school then they flew me out to do an all day thing which includes two more interviews, and a "side-by-side", building tour, and some presentations. They called me back about a week or two later with an offer.

Interview Question – All very typical interview questions, but "why do you want to work for a company in the commercial real estate industry?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – none