Cobalt

Cobalt Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

Phone call, then on site interview

Product Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cobalt.

Interviewing was conducted in a professional way and hiring process seemed really smooth. 8 interviews in a panel interview fashion, nothing too difficult. People were quite friendly. But this lasted only until they gave the offer. One of the worst experiences negotiating an offer. All they throw at you in every email are the details of the benefits which you get at every other firm. Thats it, nothing else. HR will lowball you to an extent that you will feel totally surprised and annoyed.

Inspite of acknowledging the expectation during the informational interview, they changed the role's level midway through the process without prior intimation and lowered the salary range. They don't even believe in making a counter offer in spite of the fact that you have another offer that pays far better than them. I felt it was a waste of time going through all the process.

Lowball offer

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cobalt.

I showed up on the wrong day. Cobalt still found time to interview me that day, and I got the job! They made no big deal about my error.

I probably should have negotiated for a higher hourly. I accepted what they offered as I wanted to join this company

PowerSEO Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Cobalt.

Interviewed in January, wasn't hired til September, Way too long.

Summer Intern Interview

I submit the resume in the college career fair and later receive an email from hr. After talking hr for a few questions, I was arranged an on site. On site includes two phase, no difficult questions.

Account Advocate Interview

I wanted to submit information in another area and was requested to add additional information that I am not prepared to present since I have been with the company for awhile. I do not wish to publish incorrect information so I would prefer to not place information regarding the hiring and interview process

pretty one sided

Digital Advertising Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Cobalt.

The process took at least 4 months. I was contacted by one recruited pretty much telling me that I would be a good candidate for the position. Cobalt was moving to Detroit and was looking to hire for the Digital Advertising. It sounded like a great opportunity and I was pretty excited. She past my resume along to another recruiter which took him a whole month to contact me. The guy asked me a couple a questions, but really seemed nervous and not sure of himself. After the interview I was sent an assessment exam. It took another 5 weeks before I was contacted again. The second interviewer was great. He knew a lot about the company and asked great questions and gave me great information about the company. After the 2nd interview it took another 6 weeks for the group interview. The day of the interview I received a call 15 mins prior stating that everyone was sick who I was scheduled to interview with. I thought that was pretty weird but I rescheduled. I finally had my group phone interview 3 days later. The interview was with 4 people. The first set of interviewers asked questions about my skill set and certifications. The second interviewers did not really ask me any questions. It was very awkward. After the interviews I was called by the recruiter pretty much telling me that they were interested in me but was not ready to move forward until after thanksgiving which was a month out. I thought that was weird but they were a company moving to Detroit which I understood could take time. With the recruiter pretty much verbally saying had the job I was confident until a week later I get an email saying that they were going with another candidate. I emailed him back asking him what went wrong but never received an email back.

This was the worse experience I have ever had interviewing. Detroit has a very slim market for jobs and to be played with in this matter was totally unprofessional. If this how Cobalt operates stay in Seattle we don't want you in our city.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not difficult. If you know digital advertising primarily Adwords you will be fine.   Answer Question

PowerSEO Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cobalt.

About 4 interviews over a two month span. I did them over the phone, wasn't anything too difficult.

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cobalt in December 2013.

Recruiter contacted me and gave me on site interview. Interviewers were very nice. The whole interview process gave me a good experience. All questions were normal and they didn't ask anything special.

Interview Questions
    • 5 people interviewed me. All of them asked questions about my resume. 1 of them asked a programming question and 2 of them asked questions to write SQL queries.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in November 2013.

I met some Cobalt employees at a College Career Fair, then I believe I had a brief (30mins or 1hr) interview with them on campus and was invited on-site for technical interviews. At the career fair, one would typically drop off their resume and hope to hear back, however they liked mine so much I scheduled my on campus interview right there. Between the initial interview and the technical interviews the recruiter was constantly in touch with me. I had two technical interviews on-site, each an hour long and each with two software engineers.

The interview process was typical, so if you're preparing for other technical interviews then you probably won't need to go out of your way to prepare for Cobalt's interviews. The hiring process however, was a bit frustrating. The pre-employment drug screening and background check seemed excessive compared to other software companies in the same geographic market, however now that I've started work, I'm very happy to be here.

Interview Questions
    • Typical software engineering interview questions. If you paid attention in school and prepare for the interviews by practicing coding questions online, you will be fine.   Answer Question
    The application asked what my desired salary was, so I listed it and when I was offered the job, the base salary was exactly what I'd asked for. I was happy with the amount so did not attempt to negotiate.