Cobalt

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in June 2010.

Interview Details – Very thorough, with extensive background checks.

Interview Question – Looked for specific examples of implementation of digital programs on behalf of former clients.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to no flexibility regarding negotiations.

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in November 2013.

Interview Details – I met some Cobalt employees at a College Career Fair, then I believe I had a brief (30mins or 1hr) interview with them on campus and was invited on-site for technical interviews. At the career fair, one would typically drop off their resume and hope to hear back, however they liked mine so much I scheduled my on campus interview right there. Between the initial interview and the technical interviews the recruiter was constantly in touch with me. I had two technical interviews on-site, each an hour long and each with two software engineers.

The interview process was typical, so if you're preparing for other technical interviews then you probably won't need to go out of your way to prepare for Cobalt's interviews. The hiring process however, was a bit frustrating. The pre-employment drug screening and background check seemed excessive compared to other software companies in the same geographic market, however now that I've started work, I'm very happy to be here.

Interview Question – Typical software engineering interview questions. If you paid attention in school and prepare for the interviews by practicing coding questions online, you will be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The application asked what my desired salary was, so I listed it and when I was offered the job, the base salary was exactly what I'd asked for. I was happy with the amount so did not attempt to negotiate.

Seattle, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cobalt.

Interview Details – Typical corporate interview process.

Interview Question – Negotiate a large starting salary - promotions are based on percentages.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at Cobalt

Interview Details – Phone call, then on site interview

Interview Question – None were too difficult   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cobalt.

Interview Details – Interviewing was conducted in a professional way and hiring process seemed really smooth. 8 interviews in a panel interview fashion, nothing too difficult. People were quite friendly. But this lasted only until they gave the offer. One of the worst experiences negotiating an offer. All they throw at you in every email are the details of the benefits which you get at every other firm. Thats it, nothing else. HR will lowball you to an extent that you will feel totally surprised and annoyed.

Inspite of acknowledging the expectation during the informational interview, they changed the role's level midway through the process without prior intimation and lowered the salary range. They don't even believe in making a counter offer in spite of the fact that you have another offer that pays far better than them. I felt it was a waste of time going through all the process.

Interview Question – None at all. Just know your stuff, you'll be through   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Lowball offer

Software Applications Engineer IV Interview

Software Applications Engineer IV
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in March 2011.

Interview Details – After initially being contacted by an internal recruiter, I went through two rounds of phone interviews, each with different individuals. This lead to my acceptance as a candidate for an in-person interview, for which Cobalt flew me out to Seattle from the Midwest US. I stayed overnight and, though unable to enjoy most of the sights and sounds of the area, it was a pleasure just to look out the 8th floor lobby windows over Puget Sound on the surprisingly beautiful, sunny day of my interview.

The in-person interview involved multiple rounds, each with a different interviewer or pair from various levels of the senior development staff. Questions asked hit all across the spectrum and touched on much of what I had learned through both experience and education.

Interview Question – As my interview was several years ago already, I don't recall the details of the questions asked very much. However, there was one that touched on several advanced topics in JavaScript, particularly including closures, prototypal inheritance.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cobalt in May 2011.

Interview Details – First had a scheduled phone interview with the recruiter. They were obviously just making sure I could communicate well over the phone. They then set me up with a 2-hour interview which was broken into two parts. First hour with two Team managers, and a second hour with two more Team Managers. Most of their questions had to do with how you work with internal and external clients and how you communicate with them. They are looking for real-life situations and experiences you have had and how you handled them. They do not want to hear what you "would" do. They want to know what you "have" done.

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much of one. They made me an offer that I liked and I accepted.

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in August 2012.

Interview Details – Lengthy and detailed. Many steps.

Interview Question – Nothing was out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A phone call.

Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Cobalt in May 2013.

Interview Details – The process took a whlie (a month or 2 from start to finish) First a phone interview, then we did an online test (took an hour) then an in-person interview

Interview Question – When you made a mistake, how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave me more than I asked

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cobalt in September 2010.

Interview Details – Contacted by a recruiter for Cobalt, had an interview within a few days. Interview was standard I believe - 4-5 hours with multiple technical and management people. I liked that there were not any "gotcha" or silly questions, but that the technical engineers asked deep (and still difficult) questions.

Interview Question – Create a blocking queue without using standard libraries.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Cobalt, due to ADP policies, will require you to take a drug test. Otherwise, negotiation was quick and I felt like I was treated appropriately.