Cobalt

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in January 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter. Two phone interviews prior to on-site. Phone interviews were about background, motivation, coding skills (coding exercise) and design. No algorithm questions. On-site was mainly on design, coding, background. Pretty positive overall. However the offer was not appealing but overall comp @Cobalt is low. Take it or leave it type of deal.

Interview Question – An offer that is lower than in the other companies.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult to negotiate. Felt like take it or leave it type of deal. Advice would be to be persistent in negotiating.

Summer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Cobalt

Interview Details – I submit the resume in the college career fair and later receive an email from hr. After talking hr for a few questions, I was arranged an on site. On site includes two phase, no difficult questions.

Interview Question – Write the code on white board.   Answer Question

Digital Advertising Analyst Interview

Digital Advertising Analyst
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cobalt in September 2013.

Interview Details – If you are interviewing for this company just be prepared for the long haul because this process was not easy. This was for the Digital Advertising Specialist/Analyst position for the ADP Cobalt office that was opening up in Detroit.

I was first contacted/hounded by a recruiter from ADP who found my resume on Career Builder. After stalking my email, we finally set up a time to talk. He didn't seem to know much though and kept on giving me that "oh the next person will know more" run around. After a week I was contacted to speak to another recruiter. The second recruiter seemed to know a bit more, but was rather snarky and asked the same questions over and over again. Maybe he was trying to catch me in a slip up? He thought I was a great fit for this position though and his "assistant" sent me an assessment, which took way longer than he said it was going to.

I was supposed to be contacted a few days after the assessment as to whether or not I will be moving forward. I was contacted a couple weeks later to set up a time to talk with a team member. This interview went actually really well and she was really knowledgeable about the company. She told me the next step would be talking with 6 team members over the phone and that I would hear back a couple days after as to if I would get the position or not.

The group phone interview ended up being set up on a friday in sets of two people for a half hour each (1.5 hours total). The first set of interviews were all behavioral with hardly any AdWords/Digital Advertising related questions. The second set of interviews were rather odd, but dug into a little bit more on the technical side. The first hour I almost felt as if I was being attacked to be perfectly honest. The last set of interviews were a little more open ended and touched base more on my qualities opposed to a constant drilling of complex rhetorical questions being thrown at me left and right like what the first half hour was.

Overall, the interview process was quite stressful to say the least. I still think it would be a cool company to work for though overall. It's just too bad the interview process had to be like that.

Interview Question – Cobalt asks a lot of behavioral style questions so study up on those! You will get many cheesy "describe a sitatuation this" or "tell me about a time that" type of questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cobalt

Interview Details – I wanted to submit information in another area and was requested to add additional information that I am not prepared to present since I have been with the company for awhile. I do not wish to publish incorrect information so I would prefer to not place information regarding the hiring and interview process

Negotiation Details – pretty one sided

Digital Advertising Analyst Interview

Digital Advertising Analyst
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Cobalt.

Interview Details – The process took at least 4 months. I was contacted by one recruited pretty much telling me that I would be a good candidate for the position. Cobalt was moving to Detroit and was looking to hire for the Digital Advertising. It sounded like a great opportunity and I was pretty excited. She past my resume along to another recruiter which took him a whole month to contact me. The guy asked me a couple a questions, but really seemed nervous and not sure of himself. After the interview I was sent an assessment exam. It took another 5 weeks before I was contacted again. The second interviewer was great. He knew a lot about the company and asked great questions and gave me great information about the company. After the 2nd interview it took another 6 weeks for the group interview. The day of the interview I received a call 15 mins prior stating that everyone was sick who I was scheduled to interview with. I thought that was pretty weird but I rescheduled. I finally had my group phone interview 3 days later. The interview was with 4 people. The first set of interviewers asked questions about my skill set and certifications. The second interviewers did not really ask me any questions. It was very awkward. After the interviews I was called by the recruiter pretty much telling me that they were interested in me but was not ready to move forward until after thanksgiving which was a month out. I thought that was weird but they were a company moving to Detroit which I understood could take time. With the recruiter pretty much verbally saying had the job I was confident until a week later I get an email saying that they were going with another candidate. I emailed him back asking him what went wrong but never received an email back.

This was the worse experience I have ever had interviewing. Detroit has a very slim market for jobs and to be played with in this matter was totally unprofessional. If this how Cobalt operates stay in Seattle we don't want you in our city.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult. If you know digital advertising primarily Adwords you will be fine.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cobalt in December 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me and gave me on site interview. Interviewers were very nice. The whole interview process gave me a good experience. All questions were normal and they didn't ask anything special.

Interview Question – 5 people interviewed me. All of them asked questions about my resume. 1 of them asked a programming question and 2 of them asked questions to write SQL queries.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Cobalt in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was kinda lengthy. From the time I applied for the position to my start date was 3 months. I got my first phone interview 6 weeks after I applied, then it was another 6 weeks until my start date. I would have liked to see a quick leader time between each of these interview steps. Once I had the phone inter and in-person interview, these were very quick. I believe they were within a week and was offered the position within a week after my in-person interview.

The phone interview was very informational and making sure it was a good fit for me and the company. The in-person interview was a little intimidating because you meet with 4 managers. But after my in-person interview, I knew Cobalt was going to be a great career fit.

Interview Question – The skills test. It took much longer than the recruiter said it would. It was like taking the SATs again.   Answer Question

PowerSEO Specialist Interview

PowerSEO Specialist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Cobalt.

Interview Details – About 4 interviews over a two month span. I did them over the phone, wasn't anything too difficult.

Interview Question – There were no curveballs.   Answer Question

Tech Support Interview

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Cobalt in November 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard - phone interview with general recruiter, second phone interview with technical recruiter, third interview in person with hiring managers. The biggest frustration was the background check - not that they ran one, that's fine. The fact that they couldn't find my W2 info, and told me that to continue my application, I had to call the IRS and get the last 10 years of my W2s was frustrating. What was more frustrating was that I paid 3 times to fax it to them, and that 3 times they said they didn't get it, and insinuated that I hadn't actually sent it. The 4th time, the individual admitted they had provided their old fax number.

Interview Question – There wasn't really a "difficult" question - half customer service, half standard, basic technical abilities questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Cobalt

Interview Details – After applying for the position, I was contacted by the recruiter to do a phone interview. The phone interview took approximately 15 minutes and covered basic questions such as my salary requirements and knowledge of the position and company. After this I was sent an email to take a personality assessment that took approximately an hour to complete. It included statements such as "I am happy when...." and I had to agree or disagree. Approximately a week after completing the assessment, I was scheduled for an in-person interview. It was two hours long and I met with 4 different managers. We discussed the position in more detail and they asked me situational questions to get an understanding of how I would handle things. A few days after the interview I was called by the recruiter and offered the position based on a background check. I was advised to not put in my notice yet as if the background check didn't clear then I would not have the position. The background check took an additional 2 weeks and once completed I was notified I had the position.

Interview Question – The questions were the typical interview questions, nothing difficult or unexpected if you are prepared.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cobalt