Cobalt

Updated Nov 13, 2014
Updated Nov 13, 2014

Digital Advertising Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in February 2013.

The interview process was really great. It started out with an initial recruitment email from someone who I am pretty sure has nothing to do with the department. Just someone from HR. Had an initial dummy check phone call with them before they forwarded me onto a strange math/skill check type test. After passing that, it was a 3 hour in-person interview with some of the managers and senior employees in the department. The interview was great, and everyone was very welcoming and personable. Overall, a really good interview experience.

Interview Questions
    • Just having to answer the same questions over and over again was a challenge.   Answer Question
    They asked for a salary rage, and offered me the extreme low end of the range I gave. Be very careful when you give them your range!!!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in January 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Two phone interviews prior to on-site. Phone interviews were about background, motivation, coding skills (coding exercise) and design. No algorithm questions. On-site was mainly on design, coding, background. Pretty positive overall. However the offer was not appealing but overall comp @Cobalt is low. Take it or leave it type of deal.

Interview Questions
    Difficult to negotiate. Felt like take it or leave it type of deal. Advice would be to be persistent in negotiating.

Team Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in November 2012.

After I 'passed' the phone screen, which was with the hiring manager, I have completed the first round, it included: completion of a personality test, first meeting with a rep from HR, followed a person who would report to me and the future boss. Finally I met with the person I would replace.

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in September 2012.

The interview process was pleasant, and I enjoyed talking to a future colleague candidly about what the position was like. I learned from this person that she had to "hit the ground running, then felt she had been running ever since". This suggested that I would be expected to put in extra hours beyond the 40 hr week or manage my stress somehow.

I was to be a replacement for a person who had left rather suddenly, specifically to finish a long-delayed project. I had hoped the job would allow me to develop professionally in designing e-learning courses, and that was promised, but only after the current project was done.

I was hired initially as a contractor through a company called Dataset. Since Cobalt belongs to ADP where internal security is important, there is a long process where your "background is checked". This appears to be basically a verification that you actually held the jobs you listed on your resume and that have named the correct dates of those jobs.

On my tour around the office, I was introduced to low-wall cubicle-land, with a sea of faces all looking down, unsmiling, hard at work. No one looked up, even in the department where I was to work. It seemed like they were all stressed out. I've since learned that's not the case, but that's how it felt then.

I concluded that in the interview that I didn't want the position, and told my recruiter so. But he called back saying Cobalt wanted me, and that, yes, I probably would move into elearning as soon as my project was done. I should have known that having only a 6 month contract on a long project meant that I'd never get the chance to work on anything else.

So, I took the position, and was offered full-time at the end of the 6 months. At that point I was the lead on an unfinished project, and so had earned some job security.

On the first day I was to begin the job, my background check had yet to clear. The staffing agency neglected to tell me this, so I rode an hour into downtown Seattle on the bus, only to be sent home, because I wasn't allowed to work yet. This was probably just a basic failure of communication but it was disappointing.

In summary, I've been very glad I said "yes", even though I went through some rocky times.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your workflow and how you go about designing a course.   View Answer
    • Tell us about what you would do if the subject matter expert assigned to work with you is not forthcoming, and you can't ever seem to schedule time to meet with him.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate my acceptance as a contractor, nor when I was hired full time. But I did look up the industry average for instructional designers and found the compensation to be very adequate.

Having not worked in private industry before, I was (and am) astonished at how much I got paid.

Account Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in August 2012.

Lengthy and detailed. Many steps.

A phone call.

Digital Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Cobalt in December 2011.

2 phone interviews (initial screening interview and with the VP of Sales), 1 face to face interview with the Director of Sales

Interview Questions
    • When I was asked to role play with the VP of Sales.   View Answer
    There is a set salary schedule based on the geographical territory

Digital Solutions Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cobalt in December 2011.

3 interviews; HR phone screen, F2F interview with Director of Sales and final phone interview with VP of Digital Sales for West Region. It took a while for them to get back to me, they had some movement internally that caused a slow down in my consideration, finally got a call from HR that they are going to move forward with background, which took another 3 weeks.

Very easy because I knew early on what the pay structure was like, HR Recruiter sent it to me, minimal negotiation, which I was okay with. They pay much better than Reynolds & Reynolds / Naked Lime and have much better benefits on top of that.

Digital Advertising Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in November 2011.

I applied to this position several months before I got a call from a recruiter, but I was also referred by a current employee. There was a phone interview followed by a personality/aptitude test - the test is very difficult and has personality questions, logic, math, and analogies. The test is used to see how you score relative to the employees who are already in the role for which you are applying. If you do not meet or exceed the average current employee score, your resume is not even forwarded to the manager. The day after the [successful] test scores, I was immediately invited for a 1:1 interview and a 1:2 interview, and the recruiter called within the hour to offer the job. The drug test and background check took about 2 weeks to complete.

The interview questions were different for each interview. The 1:1 was behavioral questions and job specific skills scenarios, and the 1:2 was more about the job role and talking about how I would fit into the role based on my past experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a serious mistake and the impact it had on the people you were working with.   Answer Question
    This company does not negotiate. ADP is known for being fiscally conservative, and the company believes it offers benefits that are very competitive as compensation for being on the lower end of the pay scale.

IFS Order Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in October 2011.

Started as a contractor with cobalt 3 months before the interview. It took quite a bit of time from initially submitting resume to the interview time frame.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly there are not many difficult questions in the interview process. It's more important to show enthusiasm and competence in the position. Those who are intimidated by the interview process may find difficulty in this job role as it requires a significant amount of proactive communication.   Answer Question
    Very fast, honestly should have negotiated more.

Digital Advertising Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cobalt in September 2011.

I had been recruited for several possible positions. After a successful phone screen, I was invited to 2-hours of in-person interviews. I met with four people (in twos), plus one over the phone. The interviews seemed pleasant enough. The questions asked were to assess where in the organization might be the most applicable to how I could best benefit the company. That attitude gave me hope, initially, at least.

I didn't receive any response from anyone since then (although I sent thank-you emails to everyone). I only found out that I was not offered a position because I called one of the interviewers a week later. That said, how difficult would it be for one of them to send me an email to at least thank me for coming in to the interviews? After all, I spent my time and money (on parking) on this effort. This is quite unprofessional behavior.