Cobalt Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.7

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Phone call, then on site interview

Other Interview Reviews for Cobalt

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in November 2013.

I met some Cobalt employees at a College Career Fair, then I believe I had a brief (30mins or 1hr) interview with them on campus and was invited on-site for technical interviews. At the career fair, one would typically drop off their resume and hope to hear back, however they liked mine so much I scheduled my on campus interview right there. Between the initial interview and the technical interviews the recruiter was constantly in touch with me. I had two technical interviews on-site, each an hour long and each with two software engineers.

The interview process was typical, so if you're preparing for other technical interviews then you probably won't need to go out of your way to prepare for Cobalt's interviews. The hiring process however, was a bit frustrating. The pre-employment drug screening and background check seemed excessive compared to other software companies in the same geographic market, however now that I've started work, I'm very happy to be here.

Interview Questions
    • Typical software engineering interview questions. If you paid attention in school and prepare for the interviews by practicing coding questions online, you will be fine.   Answer Question
    The application asked what my desired salary was, so I listed it and when I was offered the job, the base salary was exactly what I'd asked for. I was happy with the amount so did not attempt to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cobalt in January 2013.

Was contacted by a recruiter. Two phone interviews prior to on-site. Phone interviews were about background, motivation, coding skills (coding exercise) and design. No algorithm questions. On-site was mainly on design, coding, background. Pretty positive overall. However the offer was not appealing but overall comp @Cobalt is low. Take it or leave it type of deal.

Interview Questions
    Difficult to negotiate. Felt like take it or leave it type of deal. Advice would be to be persistent in negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cobalt in October 2010.

It consisted of
    30 min Phone screen
    1 hr assessment test after the phone screen
    3 hrs of on-site interviews with 7 people in total
    They took 3days to get back on the phone screen and 2 days after the onsite interview.
    The onsite interview conssisted of coding on whiteboard, java/ sql questions and also UI. Also, behavioral questions. They have part of the dev team in india and want someone who will be able to work with the offshore team.

Some of coding questions
    Reverse a string
    Reverse a words in the string

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Cobalt in September 2010.

Initial phone screen was about :30. I was invited for an on-site interview later that week. I then had 2 separate 2 hour sessions. Each session was with a set of 2 UI developers, who asked a load of questions about HTML/CSS/JS and had me work some problems out on the whiteboard. Had lunch with senior managers which focused on experience, direction, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to create a simple API using OOP Javascript, and then we extended it out to add functionality and options without changing the initial API.   Answer Question
    Simple ... the initial offer was actually more than I'd expected, so it was an easy accept on my end.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cobalt in March 2010.

Its HR called me first for very basic info, then inviting me for a person2person interview. each of 2 team leaders spent less than 30 minutes asking narrow focused and trivial questions, and gave out the impression that they were hiring a lot and with a broad spectrum of various jobs. In short, almost sounds too good to be true. Then never heard back from them again.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hilliard, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hilliard, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at Cobalt in December 2008.

easy interview process, no hard technical questions

offer was slightly negotiable

Software Engineer Interview

HTML and CSS questions. W3c box model explanation, advanced css selectors. Javascript development questions concerning jquery animations, data structures, function scope, closures. Scrum methodology questions, development tools.