Codemasters

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Programmer Interview

Junior Programmer
Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Codemasters in June 2013.

Interview Details – First impressions: Relaxed yet focused atmosphere in the studio. I had a 45 minute written test (consisting of annotating code and then 3 open-end questions) and was then interviewed by two senior programmers simultaneously for an hour or so, in which we discussed my answers to the following problems. The interview was relaxed and the interviewers were positive and happy to discuss the concepts with me, regardless of how I did on that particular section.

Interview Question – With a dictionary of words provided in the form of a list, and given 7 random letters, write pseudocode to determine which words can be made from the dictionary (list of words) from the letters given. a.k.a. the game of Scrabble.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary is fixed but they helped with relocation.

Game Developer Interview

Game Developer
Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Codemasters.

Interview Details – Though the whole recruitment process the company made a rather disorganised impression to me. Communication was rather slow. Also I suspect that there is a lot of fights internally about resources.
I interviewed for two different departments on the same day and they had me take nearly the same written test twice.
A lot of the matter asked in the written test was college class stuff like specifics about C++ or software engineering. A lot of that stuff isn't really necessary in the day to day work of a game developer. Why would you ask something which is irrelevant for the job.

Interview Question – You play a game of russian roulette with another person, is it better to go first or second.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They took ages to make me an offer and always said "We want to make you an offer but we need more time" I waited about 1 or 2 weeks and then agreed with another company.

Senior Programmer Interview

Senior Programmer
Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Codemasters.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview covered the standard "Why are you thinking of leaving your current employer?" and "Why here?". There then followed a programming test; covering constructors, destructors, initialiser lists, the virtual keyword, dot product, cross product and some others I can no longer recall.

The interview has an hour long affair - discussing additionally platform hardware, working practices (use of source control and the like), writing a routine to reverse a string on a whiteboard and a logic / programming question called the common ancestor.

Then (again fairly standard) "Previous package?", "Expectation?" and finally "Do you have any questions?"

Interview Question – The common ancestor problem. Given an unbalanced binary tree and 2 nodes on that tree what is fastest way to find the common ancestor?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – In a word - brief. Gave my expectations at the interview. They phoned a few days later offering less. I said 'no'. They offered more. I accepted.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Programmer Interview

Programmer
Southam, West Midlands, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Codemasters in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter that offer me the position, then I was contacted by the Company HR and we arranged a first phone interview. In the first phone interview I was asked personal questions as well as some simple technical programming questions. After that I was asked to have a 1:1 interview in the studio. The main interview was quite smooth and pleasant. Technical questions of average complexity and personal chat.

Interview Question – How to reverse a string.   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Producer
Royal Leamington Spa, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Codemasters in February 2010.

Interview Details – Telephone interview followed by on-site interview including introduction to the project. They paid for flight and hotel, and also took me out for dinner that evening. Very pleasant interview process, perhaps the nicest one I have had.

Interview Question – Asked whether I was a creative person. Obviously didn't want to hire someone who'd end up acting like a game designer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Artist Interview

Artist
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Codemasters in January 2009.

Interview Details – very straight forward. they asked me, why I want to join with codemasters : "I like racing game and I wanna try be part of the game maker". after that some knowledge about the software and technique to complete the task.
Acctually just around : what do you know about normal map, ambient occlusion, understanding of photoshop tools, etc

Interview Question – What is the purpose specular map   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they asked me to wrote down what I've got in my previous company and also my expectation in codemaster

Experienced Game Designer Interview

Experienced Game Designer
Birmingham, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Codemasters in November 2009.

Interview Details – Phone call followed by a face to face.

Interview Question – Why shouldn't I hire you?   View Answer

Worked for Codemasters? Contribute to the Community!