Cogent Communications

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Regional Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cogent Communications.

Interview Details – Hiring and Interview process moves rather quickly. Phone screen interview. Came in the next day for Face to face with the Director and then by end of week got call back. Started that Monday.

Interview Question – No unexpected or difficult questions. Typical interview questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Make sure you have a clear understanding on the day to day responsibilities. I was sold something completely different in the interview.

Regional Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Cogent Communications in April 2013.

Interview Details – A recruiter reached out for an interview, set up a call, scheduled a face to face interview, got a job offer the very next day.

Interview Question – All the questions were standard as any other sales job interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No degotiable

Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cogent Communications in June 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, online examination, face to face interview.

Interview Question – What do you dislike most about your past work experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Cogent Communications in June 2012.

Interview Details – Went to a social evening evening with a few other candidates and then had a brief bit of one on one time after mingling. Had a second round interview the next day and had an offer within two days. Pretty typical interview that involved a Q&A session where we learned about each other. Very nice and relaxed The professional recruiting staff and managers were really honest in representing the opportunity.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected, but make sure to tell them you are a hunter and understand how to grow a territory.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Cogent Communications in November 2009.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the management and received an offer letter

Interview Question – There wasn't anything difficult asked   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy.

Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Cogent Communications.

Interview Details – Easy interview, they just want to make sure that you are going to be able to sell and represent the company well.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, it was your typical interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiable.

Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Cogent Communications.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a recruiter to go in for an interview. When I got there I found out they had literally told almost 130 other people to come interview as well!! ...and this was to fill only 5 positions. Terrible hiring/screening method.... This was honestly the worst job interview I have ever been a part of. I sat down in a cubicle with a manager, while there was an open cubicle right next door with another interview going on at the same time. This was pretty awkward. Anyways, the interviewer did a very poor job of really getting to know me and after a couple of minutes he abruptly ended the interview. I realized I must have not been what they were looking for (even though I'm an experienced B2B salesperson) and also the fact they had tons of other potential candidates to go through within the next couple of hours.
Their offices are very cheap and they are proud of their low overhead method. The base salary sounded good but probably not a place to stay for the long run.

Interview Question – Don't remember.   Answer Question

Culver City, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Cogent Communications in December 2011.

Interview Details – One phone interview with company HR rep. - Sent to the local office to interview with two local managers. The process was very easy, it felt like they were selling me on taking the job, more than me selling myself to them to get the job.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult, just get the point across that you are willing to sit at a desk for 40 hours a week and cold call and you should get the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation you will get 40k + a 4k ramp up bonus your first year. The commision is 91% of the 1st monthly payment and 1/12 of the intall fee charged. Your quota is 3500 a month, if you have a rolling average of 75%+ of your quota in a 6 month time slot you will get a 5k increase to your base (caps at 60k). The problem is no one hits these pay bumps, at least not out of the Los Angeles region. Once hired you will have a job for at least 6 months, if you sell a deal in your first six months you will have a job for at least another 6 months, if you sell $5250 in your first year, you will have at least another 6 months. I would say about 3/4 of the new hires make it past 6 months and 1/5 make it past a year. No one stays much longer than a year, as it is a dead end job.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Cogent Communications in May 2011.

Interview Details – It's the easiest interview you'll ever have. With the way things are structured, managers and HR are better off giving a marginal candidate a try then letting a half way decent one go. They lose nothing if you try and fail so if you really want the job, take no risks.

If an answer seems too obvious, it's the right answer. They want to hire you. It's yours to loose so your job is to just not screw up. Really.

Interview Question – What motivates you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is none. Everything is streamlined at Cogent. Your base salary is 40k. You get an additional $1000/month for your 1st 4 months period. Don't bother negotiating.

If you're considering total comp, don't believe the number they give you. If you hit your REAL expected number which you quickly find out once you get in is $5250 in revenue which is $4777 in commission, you'll come in just under $50k. This is the REAL realistic earning and most people fail to make it and get fired.

Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Cogent Communications in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the company recruiter, who found my resume on Monster. She scheduled a call later and asked questions about my previous experience and told me about the job. Then she invited me to interview in their Herndon office, which I did a week later. Both of the managers were really nice and asked me typical interview questions. I was given a job offer next Monday.

Interview Question – How will you go about bringing 3,5k quota to the company every month. What will your actions be?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got an offer from a company of my first choice.

Worked for Cogent Communications? Contribute to the Community!