Cogent Communications Regional Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2015

2.1

Regional Account Manager Interview

Interview

I received a phone call from a recruiter who let me know that they found my resume online, one that I posted over three years ago and explained that they felt that I would be a good fit for a Regional Account Manager based on my experience.

I then was scheduled to attend a mixer to meet with the recruiters. There were about twenty other candidates present. We were invited into a room with light snacks and beverages and mingled with Management. After we sat through a 30 minute Q&A and from our the quality of our presentation invited for a panel interview.

After the third interview I received a call and was offered the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not very flexible in regards to Salary

Other Interview Reviews for Cogent Communications

Regional Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications.

Interview

Hiring and Interview process moves rather quickly. Phone screen interview. Came in the next day for Face to face with the Director and then by end of week got call back. Started that Monday.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected or difficult questions. Typical interview questions asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Make sure you have a clear understanding on the day to day responsibilities. I was sold something completely different in the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Reston, VA) in September 2013.

Interview

I had been referred to the company by a friend and got a phone interview initially. This was basic questions about my resume. Next came two in person interviews. First with hr then with hiring directors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Herndon, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, online examination, face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• What do you dislike most about your past work experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None.

Regional Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications in April 2013.

Interview

A recruiter reached out for an interview, set up a call, scheduled a face to face interview, got a job offer the very next day.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were standard as any other sales job interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No degotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Miami, FL).

Interview

Easy interview, they just want to make sure that you are going to be able to sell and represent the company well.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, it was your typical interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiable.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Miami, FL).

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter to go in for an interview. When I got there I found out they had literally told almost 130 other people to come interview as well!! ...and this was to fill only 5 positions. Terrible hiring/screening method.... This was honestly the worst job interview I have ever been a part of. I sat down in a cubicle with a manager, while there was an open cubicle right next door with another interview going on at the same time. This was pretty awkward. Anyways, the interviewer did a very poor job of really getting to know me and after a couple of minutes he abruptly ended the interview. I realized I must have not been what they were looking for (even though I'm an experienced B2B salesperson) and also the fact they had tons of other potential candidates to go through within the next couple of hours.
    Their offices are very cheap and they are proud of their low overhead method. The base salary sounded good but probably not a place to stay for the long run.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Culver City, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Went to a social evening evening with a few other candidates and then had a brief bit of one on one time after mingling. Had a second round interview the next day and had an offer within two days. Pretty typical interview that involved a Q&A session where we learned about each other. Very nice and relaxed The professional recruiting staff and managers were really honest in representing the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected, but make sure to tell them you are a hunter and understand how to grow a territory.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Herndon, VA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the company recruiter, who found my resume on Monster. She scheduled a call later and asked questions about my previous experience and told me about the job. Then she invited me to interview in their Herndon office, which I did a week later. Both of the managers were really nice and asked me typical interview questions. I was given a job offer next Monday.

Interview Questions

• How will you go about bringing 3,5k quota to the company every month. What will your actions be?   Answer Question

I got an offer from a company of my first choice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications (Culver City, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

One phone interview with company HR rep. - Sent to the local office to interview with two local managers. The process was very easy, it felt like they were selling me on taking the job, more than me selling myself to them to get the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult, just get the point across that you are willing to sit at a desk for 40 hours a week and cold call and you should get the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation you will get 40k + a 4k ramp up bonus your first year. The commision is 91% of the 1st monthly payment and 1/12 of the intall fee charged. Your quota is 3500 a month, if you have a rolling average of 75%+ of your quota in a 6 month time slot you will get a 5k increase to your base (caps at 60k). The problem is no one hits these pay bumps, at least not out of the Los Angeles region. Once hired you will have a job for at least 6 months, if you sell a deal in your first six months you will have a job for at least another 6 months, if you sell $5250 in your first year, you will have at least another 6 months. I would say about 3/4 of the new hires make it past 6 months and 1/5 make it past a year. No one stays much longer than a year, as it is a dead end job.