Cogent Communications Regional Account Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2014

1.9

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Regional Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications.

Hiring and Interview process moves rather quickly. Phone screen interview. Came in the next day for Face to face with the Director and then by end of week got call back. Started that Monday.

Interview Questions
  • No unexpected or difficult questions. Typical interview questions asked.   Answer Question
Make sure you have a clear understanding on the day to day responsibilities. I was sold something completely different in the interview.

Other Interview Reviews for Cogent Communications

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications in June 2013.

Phone interview, online examination, face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you dislike most about your past work experience.   View Answer
    None.

Regional Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications in April 2013.

A recruiter reached out for an interview, set up a call, scheduled a face to face interview, got a job offer the very next day.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were standard as any other sales job interview.   Answer Question
    No degotiable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Cogent Communications.

Easy interview, they just want to make sure that you are going to be able to sell and represent the company well.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, it was your typical interview process.   Answer Question
    No negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cogent Communications.

Got contacted by a recruiter to go in for an interview. When I got there I found out they had literally told almost 130 other people to come interview as well!! ...and this was to fill only 5 positions. Terrible hiring/screening method.... This was honestly the worst job interview I have ever been a part of. I sat down in a cubicle with a manager, while there was an open cubicle right next door with another interview going on at the same time. This was pretty awkward. Anyways, the interviewer did a very poor job of really getting to know me and after a couple of minutes he abruptly ended the interview. I realized I must have not been what they were looking for (even though I'm an experienced B2B salesperson) and also the fact they had tons of other potential candidates to go through within the next couple of hours.
    Their offices are very cheap and they are proud of their low overhead method. The base salary sounded good but probably not a place to stay for the long run.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications in June 2012.

Went to a social evening evening with a few other candidates and then had a brief bit of one on one time after mingling. Had a second round interview the next day and had an offer within two days. Pretty typical interview that involved a Q&A session where we learned about each other. Very nice and relaxed The professional recruiting staff and managers were really honest in representing the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really unexpected, but make sure to tell them you are a hunter and understand how to grow a territory.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Cogent Communications in May 2012.

I was contacted by the company recruiter, who found my resume on Monster. She scheduled a call later and asked questions about my previous experience and told me about the job. Then she invited me to interview in their Herndon office, which I did a week later. Both of the managers were really nice and asked me typical interview questions. I was given a job offer next Monday.

Interview Questions
    • How will you go about bringing 3,5k quota to the company every month. What will your actions be?   Answer Question

I got an offer from a company of my first choice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications in December 2011.

One phone interview with company HR rep. - Sent to the local office to interview with two local managers. The process was very easy, it felt like they were selling me on taking the job, more than me selling myself to them to get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just get the point across that you are willing to sit at a desk for 40 hours a week and cold call and you should get the job.   View Answer
    There is no negotiation you will get 40k + a 4k ramp up bonus your first year. The commision is 91% of the 1st monthly payment and 1/12 of the intall fee charged. Your quota is 3500 a month, if you have a rolling average of 75%+ of your quota in a 6 month time slot you will get a 5k increase to your base (caps at 60k). The problem is no one hits these pay bumps, at least not out of the Los Angeles region. Once hired you will have a job for at least 6 months, if you sell a deal in your first six months you will have a job for at least another 6 months, if you sell $5250 in your first year, you will have at least another 6 months. I would say about 3/4 of the new hires make it past 6 months and 1/5 make it past a year. No one stays much longer than a year, as it is a dead end job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogent Communications in November 2011.

They initially set up a phone interview with a hr representative from New York. The lady was very helpful and gave me some points as to prepare for the evaluation with the manager of the office I would be applying in the city. Pretty standard interview, go over history, and show them why they should put you through to the second interview. Lasts about 30-40 minutes but very pleasant

Second interview was horrible in the San Francisco office, the interim manager from San Jose was completely unprofessional and made me wait 30 minutes because he was on the phone with a higher up. Was reminded twice that I was waiting for the interview, but continually ignored the calls from other office workers. Looked at my resume in 2 minutes and finished asking me questions in another 1 minute. Explained the position, but looked at me dumbfounded if I had more questions for him since he felt that he had inconvenienced me. Walked out in 4 minutes, but didn't get the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cogent Communications in November 2011.

The interview was a group of the Sales Managers asking you random stuff to gauge your sales experience, or your ability to be comfortable in the position.

Wasn't impressed walking through a warehouse to a run-down conference room.

There wasn't one. You take it or leave it.