Cogo Labs Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.3

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

They are looking for Einstein im guessing, even if you have experience on linux, nagios, and what they ask for they will reject you, I would say that the person conducting the interview by phone does not even know what they are looking for...

This person, I wont mention names, even seemed tired not wanting to even talk on the phone, seemed not even interested since before he called.

Interview Questions

• do you have any questions ? like 50 times.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Was put in contact with the recruiter by a current employee. I gave her my resume and set up an interview with a senior analyst in which I talked about my resume, what he did at Cogo, and solved a brain teaser. A little over a week later I was contacted again by the recruiter to set up an interview at the office in Cambridge. Consisted of discussing my resume and solving more brain teasers with several more analysts. Received my offer by phone a week later.

Interview Questions

• Several brain teasers, the goal of which is to evaluate your problem solving approach. Familiarity with basic statistics and calculus should be fine.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

It is a very basic interview process. I applied and received an email to come in for an interview. When I got to the office on the day of the interview, they first showed me around the office and introduced me to some of the people who worked there. For the interview, I talked to two different people and they first asked about myself, Cogo, and my resume, then I answered a few basic coding questions and did a coding problem on the white board. They were very nice and not very intimidating when it came time for the coding problem. Cogo is a smaller company so it felt important to the interviewers that I fit in with the Cogo personality and that they would enjoy working with me.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to do some simple coding problems on the white board. They wanted me to code a game using basic data structures   1 Answer
    • What is a hash table?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs in November 2014.

Interview

Spoke to the recruiter at an university career fair, got contacted a few weeks later inviting me for an onsite interview, got called back a week later to speak with an engineering director and received an offer. Both the interviewer and the recruiter were super helpful throughout the whole process. Overall a very positive experience!

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't particularly difficult. Was asked to talk about past internships and personal projects. Be ready to answer questions on technical aspects of internships/projects. Was asked a coding question in the end.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Cogo Labs in October 2014.

Interview

Applied through career fair, got contacted by email to interview on-site. Greeted by recruiter then interviewed by 2 engineers simultaneously. I thought I would be nervous but everyone was really nice and down to just talk instead of getting right into asking technical questions. Seems like a cool place to work with nice people, I just got a better offer from a different company.

Accepted offer from different company.

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

First round was a call with one of the senior analysts. Consisted of talking about my interests and explaining what the incubator does. It really is an interesting business model and it's worth learning more about it through the interview process. At the end we did a fairly simple brainteaser question. Just a basic algorithm question.

Next round (4 days later) was on-site with two analysts each from a different team. Seemed a bit redundant, but we talked about myself, some machine learning stuff, and did a more involved brainteaser. It was pretty easy (assuming you're solid on calc and probability theory) so we did a harder generalized variant of the original question.

Got an offer 2 days later.

Really good impression of the place... everyone I talked to was clearly very smart and loved working there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not a lot of leeway for negotiation, but the place looks really cool so I caved.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs (Boston, MA).

Interview

Had initial phone screening, then another phone interview where I got a brain teaser/riddle question. I didn't do well on it so I never heard back. Google got rid of their brain teaser questions after a quantitative data analysis revealed that it had no predictive power in employee selection (see http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/06/google-skips-waste-of-time-brainteaser-interview-questions/). Brain teasers test people who are good at solving brain teasers, not who is good at manipulating data. Ask me to do a live Python or R session aimed at deriving insight into a data question and I'll do well at it, but I am not good at riddle/brain teaser type questions.

Interview Questions

• Brain teaser/riddle, not going to share   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

I got an email to schedule a phone interview. Hiring manager did not call at the scheduled time. I called the office to see if I could reschedule but nobody picked up the phone. I then sent an email asking for another time to speak and got a reply the next day. My energy drained.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Interview

The first step was phone screening. It was pretty short and sweet. He was telling me about Cogo as much as I was telling him about myself. A couple weeks later I was contacted to interview with one of the senior associates. The call lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of the basic interview questions that you could find online.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cogo Labs (Cambridge, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

I found them at a college career fair.
    The next week, I had a phone screen, which was pretty simple.
    I came in after that for an interview- it lasted about 45 minutes and it involved questions about my resume, and a brain-teaser type problem.
    I got called back, so I came in for a second round. This one involved three or four interviews- each were about a half hour. They all were the same format as the first one- it was a little redundant.
    The hiring manager was very friendly, and he implied that I would get the job.

Interview Questions

• The brain teasers were all somewhat tricky. It wouldn't be right for me to share them with you, though.   Answer Question