Cogo Labs

Updated Sep 12, 2014

3.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs.

First round was a call with one of the senior analysts. Consisted of talking about my interests and explaining what the incubator does. It really is an interesting business model and it's worth learning more about it through the interview process. At the end we did a fairly simple brainteaser question. Just a basic algorithm question.

Next round (4 days later) was on-site with two analysts each from a different team. Seemed a bit redundant, but we talked about myself, some machine learning stuff, and did a more involved brainteaser. It was pretty easy (assuming you're solid on calc and probability theory) so we did a harder generalized variant of the original question.

Got an offer 2 days later.

Really good impression of the place... everyone I talked to was clearly very smart and loved working there.

Interview Questions
Not a lot of leeway for negotiation, but the place looks really cool so I caved.

Other Interview Reviews for Cogo Labs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs.

Had initial phone screening, then another phone interview where I got a brain teaser/riddle question. I didn't do well on it so I never heard back. Google got rid of their brain teaser questions after a quantitative data analysis revealed that it had no predictive power in employee selection (see http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/06/google-skips-waste-of-time-brainteaser-interview-questions/). Brain teasers test people who are good at solving brain teasers, not who is good at manipulating data. Ask me to do a live Python or R session aimed at deriving insight into a data question and I'll do well at it, but I am not good at riddle/brain teaser type questions.

Interview Questions
    • Brain teaser/riddle, not going to share   View Answer

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs.

I got an email to schedule a phone interview. Hiring manager did not call at the scheduled time. I called the office to see if I could reschedule but nobody picked up the phone. I then sent an email asking for another time to speak and got a reply the next day. My energy drained.

I applied online – interviewed at Cogo Labs.

The first step was phone screening. It was pretty short and sweet. He was telling me about Cogo as much as I was telling him about myself. A couple weeks later I was contacted to interview with one of the senior associates. The call lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of the basic interview questions that you could find online.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cogo Labs in November 2013.

I found them at a college career fair.
    The next week, I had a phone screen, which was pretty simple.
    I came in after that for an interview- it lasted about 45 minutes and it involved questions about my resume, and a brain-teaser type problem.
    I got called back, so I came in for a second round. This one involved three or four interviews- each were about a half hour. They all were the same format as the first one- it was a little redundant.
    The hiring manager was very friendly, and he implied that I would get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teasers were all somewhat tricky. It wouldn't be right for me to share them with you, though.   Answer Question

Quantitative Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cogo Labs.

There are 3 interviews in total: The 1st one is a screening phone interview, the 2nd one is an interview with a Senior Analyst and the 3rd one is an interview with all the team members (7 in total). There are plenty of (pretty difficult) brain teasers and open-ended questions for you to solve throughout these interviews, but everyone is very willing to give you hints. I believe they are more interested in seeing how your thought process works than you getting the right answer right away.

The office seems very chill, and everyone that I meet is friendly, fairly young and knows a lot about what they're doing. It seems like a good place to work at all around.

Interview Questions
    • I don't really remember the exact question, so take this with a grain of salt: You are given a truck to go across the desert. The truck can hold enough gas to go 50 miles. The desert is 120 miles. You can drop the gas and pick it up at will. Devise the fastest way to go across the whole desert and generalize it using variables.   Answer Question