Coherent

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer

Interviewed at Coherent

Interview Details – On site interview with hiring manage and potential peers.

Interview Question – Describe a solution that was novel and how you came about solving this solution.   Answer Question

RF Engineer Interview

RF Engineer
Windsor, CT

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Coherent.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews, one from team manager, and the other from technique staff, ppl on the same position. Then goes to onsite interview. You will be asked to present your work that has been done.
During on site interview, questions are very general. Some of them will be related to your work, others might be related to the reason you apply for this position, and your attitude.

Interview Question – Not really hard questions. One of the tech asked very specific questions about circuit design, which is directly related to the real problem they are facing.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in June 2012.

Interview Details – Applied to online through their website. Received a call for the first round/screening interview. Most questions were based on projects and course works. Also had few technical questions. About a month later received an email to schedule on-site interview.
Had to do ~45min technical presentation on my coursework/projects and thesis in front of approx. 15 people. Had quick plant tour and lunch with employees.
Then 5 2:1 interview each lasting about an hour. Most questions were based on my experience and resume although some of them asked me more technical questions.
FYI, if you are given an option to choose either drive or fly there, choose to go there by plane. I drove about 5 hours to get there but they didn't reimburse.

Interview Questions

Very Easy Interview

Financial Analyst Staff Interview

Financial Analyst Staff
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Coherent in May 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process at Coherent was very smooth. The external placement agency and the corporate human resources department worked together very well. I was impressed with the hr representatives working for Coherent. There was more than adequate communication between the company, the placement agency, and I- and the company always made me feel very much in demand. There were 3 interviews. The first consisted of a phone interview with the hr manager. The second occurred a week later and I met with/interviewed with the controller, her colleague who performed the same role 2-3 years earlier, and the individual performing the job at the time while the company was searching for a replacement for the person who left the company. Finally, I met later the same week with the director of finance who managed the controller I would be reporting to and a director of finance for a different business unit. Throughout the process, I was impressed with the management and looked forward to the opportunities within the organization.

Interview Question – How would you handle a circumstance when you had a routine project from your manager (who is out of town), but received a request for assistance to complete a project another team is working on?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate- but I was happy with the initial offer so I did not.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Senior Electrical Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in May 2009.

Interview Details – small group 1:1, then production manager introduction

Interview Questions

Senior Optical Engineer Interview

Senior Optical Engineer
Portland, OR

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Coherent in December 2009.

Interview Details – A group interview, mostly going over resume and work experience. 2 technical questions that weren't too difficult. People were nice, up beat and encouraging. Not a firing line.

Interview Question – Technical question relating to the splitting/combining of two laser beams with slightly different wavelengths.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation room. A little on signing bonus/salary, but other perks were not. Vacation is week at 2 weeks/year.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Senior Financial Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Coherent.

Interview Details – the interview was set up by a head hunter. i first met with the inhouse HR recruiter who went down my resume, then i met with with hiring manager who went down my resume. it was all very conversational rather than the pure ask a question, answer a question.

Planner Interview

Planner

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in April 2008.

Interview Details – Got call from HR for interview. When I went, person interviewing was very nice. I had great expericence because I was made comfortable during the whole interview process. Very easy questions were asked. I got the job on second interview.

Interview Question – What was your biggest challenge?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Coherent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coherent interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Coherent employees and interview candidates.