Coherent Interview Questions

2.3

Senior Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

On site interview with hiring manage and potential peers.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a solution that was novel and how you came about solving this solution.   Answer Question

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Windsor, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Coherent.

2 phone interviews, one from team manager, and the other from technique staff, ppl on the same position. Then goes to onsite interview. You will be asked to present your work that has been done.
    During on site interview, questions are very general. Some of them will be related to your work, others might be related to the reason you apply for this position, and your attitude.

Interview Questions
    • Not really hard questions. One of the tech asked very specific questions about circuit design, which is directly related to the real problem they are facing.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in June 2012.

Applied to online through their website. Received a call for the first round/screening interview. Most questions were based on projects and course works. Also had few technical questions. About a month later received an email to schedule on-site interview.
    Had to do ~45min technical presentation on my coursework/projects and thesis in front of approx. 15 people. Had quick plant tour and lunch with employees.
    Then 5 2:1 interview each lasting about an hour. Most questions were based on my experience and resume although some of them asked me more technical questions.
    FYI, if you are given an option to choose either drive or fly there, choose to go there by plane. I drove about 5 hours to get there but they didn't reimburse.

Financial Analyst Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Coherent in May 2011.

The hiring and interview process at Coherent was very smooth. The external placement agency and the corporate human resources department worked together very well. I was impressed with the hr representatives working for Coherent. There was more than adequate communication between the company, the placement agency, and I- and the company always made me feel very much in demand. There were 3 interviews. The first consisted of a phone interview with the hr manager. The second occurred a week later and I met with/interviewed with the controller, her colleague who performed the same role 2-3 years earlier, and the individual performing the job at the time while the company was searching for a replacement for the person who left the company. Finally, I met later the same week with the director of finance who managed the controller I would be reporting to and a director of finance for a different business unit. Throughout the process, I was impressed with the management and looked forward to the opportunities within the organization.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a circumstance when you had a routine project from your manager (who is out of town), but received a request for assistance to complete a project another team is working on?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate- but I was happy with the initial offer so I did not.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in May 2009.

small group 1:1, then production manager introduction

Senior Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Coherent in December 2009.

A group interview, mostly going over resume and work experience. 2 technical questions that weren't too difficult. People were nice, up beat and encouraging. Not a firing line.

Interview Questions
    • Technical question relating to the splitting/combining of two laser beams with slightly different wavelengths.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation room. A little on signing bonus/salary, but other perks were not. Vacation is week at 2 weeks/year.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Coherent.

the interview was set up by a head hunter. i first met with the inhouse HR recruiter who went down my resume, then i met with with hiring manager who went down my resume. it was all very conversational rather than the pure ask a question, answer a question.

Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Coherent in April 2008.

Got call from HR for interview. When I went, person interviewing was very nice. I had great expericence because I was made comfortable during the whole interview process. Very easy questions were asked. I got the job on second interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for Coherent? Contribute to the Community!