Coherent Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

2.4

Interview

On site interview with hiring manage and potential peers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a solution that was novel and how you came about solving this solution.   Answer Question

RF Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Windsor, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Coherent (Windsor, CT).

Interview

2 phone interviews, one from team manager, and the other from technique staff, ppl on the same position. Then goes to onsite interview. You will be asked to present your work that has been done.
    During on site interview, questions are very general. Some of them will be related to your work, others might be related to the reason you apply for this position, and your attitude.

Interview Questions

• Not really hard questions. One of the tech asked very specific questions about circuit design, which is directly related to the real problem they are facing.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent (Hartford, CT) in June 2012.

Interview

Applied to online through their website. Received a call for the first round/screening interview. Most questions were based on projects and course works. Also had few technical questions. About a month later received an email to schedule on-site interview.
    Had to do ~45min technical presentation on my coursework/projects and thesis in front of approx. 15 people. Had quick plant tour and lunch with employees.
    Then 5 2:1 interview each lasting about an hour. Most questions were based on my experience and resume although some of them asked me more technical questions.
    FYI, if you are given an option to choose either drive or fly there, choose to go there by plane. I drove about 5 hours to get there but they didn't reimburse.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

2 people interview about the role. Questions relating about my experience and manufacturing. Not to many technical questions. Some of the management in other areas oversell the position but it turns out a reporting machine position.

Interview Questions

• Traditional question about experience and overcoming difficult situations   Answer Question

Negotiation

Depends on the manager

Financial Analyst Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process at Coherent was very smooth. The external placement agency and the corporate human resources department worked together very well. I was impressed with the hr representatives working for Coherent. There was more than adequate communication between the company, the placement agency, and I- and the company always made me feel very much in demand. There were 3 interviews. The first consisted of a phone interview with the hr manager. The second occurred a week later and I met with/interviewed with the controller, her colleague who performed the same role 2-3 years earlier, and the individual performing the job at the time while the company was searching for a replacement for the person who left the company. Finally, I met later the same week with the director of finance who managed the controller I would be reporting to and a director of finance for a different business unit. Throughout the process, I was impressed with the management and looked forward to the opportunities within the organization.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a circumstance when you had a routine project from your manager (who is out of town), but received a request for assistance to complete a project another team is working on?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate- but I was happy with the initial offer so I did not.

Senior Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Coherent (Portland, OR) in December 2009.

Interview

A group interview, mostly going over resume and work experience. 2 technical questions that weren't too difficult. People were nice, up beat and encouraging. Not a firing line.

Interview Questions

• Technical question relating to the splitting/combining of two laser beams with slightly different wavelengths.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much negotiation room. A little on signing bonus/salary, but other perks were not. Vacation is week at 2 weeks/year.

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

small group 1:1, then production manager introduction

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seoul (South Korea)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent (Seoul (South Korea)) in August 2014.

Interview

1. Apply your resume
    2. Wait a contact
    3. Get a interview with department employees
    4. Wait a resuit

It depends on how you prepare the interview.
    One of the important thing is that you should be polite in the interview and show your passion!!

Interview Questions

• How do you know the Coherent Korea?   1 Answer

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent.

Interview

the interview was set up by a head hunter. i first met with the inhouse HR recruiter who went down my resume, then i met with with hiring manager who went down my resume. it was all very conversational rather than the pure ask a question, answer a question.

Planner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Coherent in April 2008.

Interview

Got call from HR for interview. When I went, person interviewing was very nice. I had great expericence because I was made comfortable during the whole interview process. Very easy questions were asked. I got the job on second interview.