Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 3, 2014
17 interviews

2.6

Graduate Student Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Did laboratory rotations in two CSHL labs. Contacted the PIs personally by email to determine if they had a rotation position available. Rotated in both labs for 4 months each, which included designing and executing experiments. At the end of the rotation was assessed on basis of level of hard work in terms of number of hours spent in lab, producing results and scientific aptitude.

Systems Engineer I (Windows) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in August 2010.

HR was iffy on communications, did not call when expected. The HR meeting (not really an interview) was mostly about salary requirements, benefits explanation, lab history, etc. This was on the same day as the technical interview (different buildings).

The technical interview was with the group, led by the group manager. It was mostly questions about previous work from the resume, and technical questions about various technologies. A few scenario-type questions.

Some time later I got called back for a quick interview with the directors which seemed to be mostly a personality fit type of thing where they just get a feel for you. It only took a few minutes.

Interview Questions
    • It was a question about experiencing a problem and how I handled it; I don't remember the wording. It's a fairly common question, I was just nervous and in that moment I went blank.   Answer Question
    There was basically no room for negotiation. They make you give salary requirements before the interview.

Post Doctoral Fellow Interview

Smooth

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in February 2013.

Applied online, received an email for phone interview schedule within 3 weeks. At first were technical questions about my projects, data structure and algorithms . then asked OOP, polymorphism, inheritance, give examples, then some simple algorithm problems. I got all the answers right, but may seem not experienced enough. They want highly experienced programmers I think, even for this non-cs position

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in July 2013.

I initiated contact with the PI online before sending in my application. The interview was scheduled a little less than a month after I sent the initial email - responses were timely and clear.

During the interview itself, I met with the PI, three post-docs, and the lab manager. I was asked typical questions about my own research interests, and my future plans. I researched the different projects going on the lab beforehand, but was not asked much regarding the specifics.

Everyone I met with was friendly and seemed very comfortable working while I was around. The interview style was somewhat casual, and I felt very relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would prepare a solution of a certain molarity   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Ask me to write some matlab programs and I did it, then they ask me to take a three months rotation, after I finish this rotation, I get an formal offer from the lab and start working there. The interview is pretty easy, it is important you work hard during the rotation.

Computer Scientist Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in October 2010.

Phone interview after direct contact by email. Classic soft questions about my background, PhD, most important result.

Research Technician II Interview

I took an unusual approach and initiated the conversation myself via email. I have found this to be the best way to convey your interest and enthusiasm for a given subject in the scientific and academic fields. Did background research on their work and as well as the topic as a whole in order to prepare for our meeting.

Interview Questions
    • Why I am interested in this particular field and the given focus of the research.   Answer Question

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Manager had me wait an hour for the interview. Manager did all the talking at the interview.

Do Not Wan Tto Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

was very relaxed, almost lax. very unprofessional

Worked for Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!