Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

Updated Feb 4, 2015
Updated Feb 4, 2015

2.7

Admissions Department Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

I met with a recruiter from human resources and was interviewed in her office. Then I was escorted to where the position was located and met with employees.

Graduate Student Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Did laboratory rotations in two CSHL labs. Contacted the PIs personally by email to determine if they had a rotation position available. Rotated in both labs for 4 months each, which included designing and executing experiments. At the end of the rotation was assessed on basis of level of hard work in terms of number of hours spent in lab, producing results and scientific aptitude.

Post Doctoral Fellow Interview

Smooth

Research Technician I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in July 2013.

I initiated contact with the PI online before sending in my application. The interview was scheduled a little less than a month after I sent the initial email - responses were timely and clear.

During the interview itself, I met with the PI, three post-docs, and the lab manager. I was asked typical questions about my own research interests, and my future plans. I researched the different projects going on the lab beforehand, but was not asked much regarding the specifics.

Everyone I met with was friendly and seemed very comfortable working while I was around. The interview style was somewhat casual, and I felt very relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe how you would prepare a solution of a certain molarity   View Answer

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Ask me to write some matlab programs and I did it, then they ask me to take a three months rotation, after I finish this rotation, I get an formal offer from the lab and start working there. The interview is pretty easy, it is important you work hard during the rotation.

Research Technician II Interview

I took an unusual approach and initiated the conversation myself via email. I have found this to be the best way to convey your interest and enthusiasm for a given subject in the scientific and academic fields. Did background research on their work and as well as the topic as a whole in order to prepare for our meeting.

Interview Questions
    • Why I am interested in this particular field and the given focus of the research.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in February 2013.

Applied online, received an email for phone interview schedule within 3 weeks. At first were technical questions about my projects, data structure and algorithms . then asked OOP, polymorphism, inheritance, give examples, then some simple algorithm problems. I got all the answers right, but may seem not experienced enough. They want highly experienced programmers I think, even for this non-cs position

Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

Manager had me wait an hour for the interview. Manager did all the talking at the interview.

Do Not Wan Tto Say Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cold Spring Harbor, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.

was very relaxed, almost lax. very unprofessional

Lab Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in April 2012.

I applied online. Onsite interview directly cause I was local. One interview with HR person. Just basic questions. I was explained with the low salary but good benefits policy in cold spring. One interview with professor and his student, both said I was a perfect match. I was told he would have to interview other people cause those dates were fixed already. No response thereafter. I checked back later and the job ad was canceled, not position filled. Seemed like funding problem.