Coleman Research

Relevance Date Difficulty

Global Events Interview

Global Events
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Within an hour, was contacted for a phone interview. The phone interview was normal resume walk through and sometime spent with HR going over position. HR seemed very interested in getting "loyal" people - or people that wouldn't quit/look for better work. After the phone interview, I was brought into the office to meet with the team head. Wasn't as much an interview as the team head telling me about the job and its pros (easy hours, good clients) and cons (poor pay, repetitive work). 2 weeks after this interview, I was asked to put together a report/writeup of recent industry events and what industry experts I would use to help generate calls. Came into the office to present my findings to team head and 1 partner. Not many questions - more of a discussion. Was told I would be contacted in a week with good/bad news...never heard back. Didn't bother following up.

People were friendly and nice. Business appears to be doing well and growing. Finding "loyal" people seems to be important there as it was brought up in all of the interviews. They seem to have problems with people doing the job for a few months than moving to different company. The London partner stated "i know you could do the job...but would you want to do the job?" He made it seem like the works sucks...but who knows?

The company isn't traditional equity/securities research, nor does it pretend to be. It has 3 major teams: Research (source experts), Events (generate topics/phone calls for buy-side clients to call into) and Account Management (attract and keep current buy-side clients). The main product is primary research which is done by setting up calls between investors/customers and experts (consultants, former executives, etc).

Interview Question – I know you could do the job...but would you want to do the job?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research.

Interview Details – First the HR Manager screened me over the phone. At the time I was distraught because it had been a month since I was last employed. After passing the phone interview, I was invited in to meet with 2 Research Managers, the Research Director and the Director of Account Management. Within a week, I had an offer.

Interview Question – What is your #1 weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I should have negotiated a higher salary given prior experience, but did not at the time.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Coleman Research in May 2009.

Interview Details – they look for candidates who can think on their feet and stay calm when faced with an unknown situation. some sales experience is helpful as a job requires heavy use of phone conversations.

Interview Question – how would you go about identifying who makes buying decisions at a retailer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – very little negotiation.

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
New York, NY

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research in February 2010.

Interview Details – I accepted a position with one of their foreign affiliate offices and the interview / review process was internal. It was straightforward and involved me demonstrating why I thought I could add value to the company's office overseas. Was an amazing opportunity with an excellent company and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks CRG!

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be a fit to help our overseas affiliate office   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Be sure to make your expectations known, but also to weigh what you think you should receive with the benefits of the potential experience working overseas.

Associate Interview

Associate
New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research in October 2011.

Interview Details – I connected with my now manager on LinkedIn and sent her my resume We had lunch together once I moved to the city, followed by an interview with the head of the Marketing department in the CRG office. I felt at ease and that the process was more of a back-and-forth exchange than me getting drilled with questions. It was definitely one of the more enjoyable interview experiences I've had.

New York, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Coleman Research in May 2011.

Interview Details – I received a request for a phone interview, which lasted about 20 minutes. I spoke about my background briefly, while my interviewer spoke about Coleman for the majority of the time. Seemed very important that I knew exactly what they do...apparently many do not when they interview.

Then I was called in for an in-person interview. I was interviewed by 3 different managers from different subject verticals for about 10-15 minutes each. Overall, not a bad interview. I thought all 3 went well.

The next week, I got the request to reach out to my references and then I got the offer the next day.

Interview Question – Can you explain what we do here?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Coleman Research in August 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisted of just going over resume and explaining interest in the company. The in office interview consisted of interviews with multiple senior members of the company. One person walked me through the process of what they do at Coleman research group, asking questions as they explained the process. The others mainly asked about previous experience and interest in the company.

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Coleman Research in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred to CRG by a former research intern. I contacted the HR manager directly through email instead of applying online. I sent a cover letter and resume. HR contacted me for a telephone interview. After, I had an in-person interview at the CRG office. Two interviews, one with a manger and the other with a Vice President. It was a bit intimidating at first. It is a small company so high level employees may interview you. Interview question were general. Most questions were about work and school experience listed on my resume. They will defiantly ask you if you understand what an expert network is and what CRG does. I suggest doing some research on expert networks and institutional investing. There shouldn’t be any detailed question about finance or investing. The interviewer may ask for you to follow up with a writing sample. About a week after I interviewed, they called telling me I received the position. A few days later HR contacted to have another phone interview even though I already had the position. The second phone interview was about 5 minutes. It was strange.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – All interns are paid $15/ hour

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research in June 2011.

Interview Details – At the first interview they tell you about the position first and then pretty much just want to know how your past experience relates to the position.
I wouldn't say that it's a very challenging interview but from the other reviews it seems like the work is not really challenging neither, more of a fancy telecommunications and headhunting job. The job description on their website is somewhat deceiving, making it look like a proper research position but at the interview they are honest about what the nature of the job is like.

Interview Question – Asked only a few questions: What do you understand this position to be? What is an expert network? How does your past work experience relate to this position?   Answer Question

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Coleman Research in August 2011.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview, 1 face-to-face interview with the Managing Director and Team Manager.

Interview Question – Not really difficult. If you want this job, try to build a convincing case of your past experience in client-facing/sales-related roles.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Coleman Research? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Coleman Research interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Coleman Research employees and interview candidates.