Coles Group Interview Questions in Australia

Updated Oct 17, 2014

2.1

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group in October 2014.

Application online and then book a group interview. If successful, you get a 1-1 interview with the store manager and then get the job.
    For group interview, group discussion about: your understanding and experience about excellent customer service, why you want to work at Coles, give priority ranking for a couple of situations such as an oil split on the floor, you saw a team member putting something into his pocket etc...

For one to one, tell me about yourself, what does excellent customer service mean to you, give some examples where you show some values such as customer first, safety in service, integrity; examples about you sorted a difficult situation, your achievement...

Interview Questions
    • An example you showed concerns about safety in customer service. Fortunately I have done a tour guide job so I had something to say. Otherwise I can't think of a good example. Maybe you can say something like there was water on the floor and you wiped it prior to other things?   View Answer

Team Member Interview

interviewed at Coles Group in September 2014.

Applied on-line through colescareers.com.au, got the email that I have proceeded to the next level, the one on one interview in store next week and the induction session the week after!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult question. just routine questions...tell about yourself, why coles?, previous experience, etc.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group.

After the group interview which really just involved working with team mates to solve a case study, I proceeded to the final stage. The first part of this involved an impromptu speech about something you would do to improve Coles.

The second 'meet and greet' part involved these questions:

1. Why Coles Graduate program?
    2. Tell me an experience where you had to lead a team / work in a team
    3. Tell me an experience where you had to provide exceptional customer service.
    4. Tell me an experience where you brought innovation and what were the results?
    5. Tell me what do you think is the differentiating factor of Coles?
    6. Where do you think Coles can improve?

They were really friendly and it felt like a small chat.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Coles Group in August 2014.

Attended Group interview for the various positions of the new store opening. We were arranged in a team of six people with one department manager. Total of 7 tables in a room.
    Asked questions like
    --> Could you please introduce yourself and In the begining they asked us to put a sticker on with something(Smile face, which you have to draw) and your name. Then describe and link about that picture as well.
    --> Asked to pick random picture of various products(Banana, pasta Etc..) and what if you have to sell that product to customer who is in a rush...?
    --> Asked about what do u mean by customer service and please share your experience of the great customer service.
    --> last one was a team activity and asked the whole table to arrange different products by randomly gusseing their prices. lower to upper... it was not so serious activity..

Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clayton (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clayton (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group.

coles work on a group interview basis, usually students and those aged 16-35 come to these interviews. Group participation across all activities is heavily required to make you stand out from the crowd. But those undertaking this process should adhere to quality of answers over the quantity of them.

Interview Questions
    • Pointless branding scenarios were involved. more of a focus should be on how job seekers would go about handling different in store customer scenarios.   Answer Question
    flexible hours and days where in which you work are all negotiable

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group.

1. online application - what question you want to ask Coles' managing director? any suggestion for Coles?
    2. assessment centre - guess products, group presentation, games
    3. final interview - 30 out of 200 went for final interview

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Coles Group in April 2014.

apply online, phone call, interview and offer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Coles Group.

Applied online. Had one face to face interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group.

My brother worked at the local Coles & they were looking for new casual staff to hire. I was at high school & thought this would be a great first job.

At the time, I was able to have the hiring process sped up due to my brother already being employed & I had also met my potential manager. After about a year, the hiring process for the Coles Group changed & made it nearly impossible to bypass or speed up - it is a compulsory & sometimes lengthy process that I have had many friends complain about the time it takes to get to the interview stage.

Interview Questions
    • The interview I had was very casual & brief - I had pretty much been given the job already so the interview was more a formality at this stage.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was available. Everything is very standard process at Coles.

Deli Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Coles Group.

applied online, then was called into a one on one interview.
    was told I will get a call in 2 days either way, thought I completely failed the interview as I was so nervous, but got the call to say I got the job :)
    the manager said the question the ask are there to challenge you but they are not the only thing they are looking at and are not the most important.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you were faced with difficulty in the work place and what did you do about it?
      why do you want to work for coles?
        View Answer
    waiting for my induction this week.