Coles Group

Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.2

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group in November 2014.

I have applied on 23rd October, 2014 and two days later I got email saying I have selected for the further next stage of recruitment. ( Hint to be selected is - write your availability FULL TIME ) And this email showed that what I have to bring with me If I get Called from Manager. And I got manager's call on 11th November for 1-1 interview which was on 13th october. Questions were mostly related to previous experiences of job. All questions were inter relating.
1. Tell me about yourself.
2.where did you work at n about for how much time ?
3. What was your role ?
4. Why did you left that positions ?
5. Why you apply for this position ?
6. Why do you want to work with coles ?
7. Do you have any experience in retail s ?
8. Tell me a time when you found something new about yourself ?
9. Tell me a time when you worked smartly or any contribution to your work with your new n unique ideas, how did you implement that and what was the result ?
10. Tell me a time when you had conflicts with anyone at work or in friends ?
11. If given a chance, would you like to work with us on entry level basis or just do managerial tasks ?
12. Are you prepare for manager role ?
13. What is your availability ?
14. Is there any condition which will effect your availability ?
15. How would you welcome customers in your department ?
16. How would you handle conflicts ?
17. What would you do with spills ?

There was a large questioniarre to fill which took around 40 minutes for interview .
follow up question was If you any question for me ?

Interview Questions
  • Just remember be calm n have patience. Dont interrupt manager while he/ she talking, listen her fully. As this will show you are a good listener too, which is important for customer service. Even if you know answer let them complete before you talk.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Coles Group

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Coles Group in October 2014.

I applied through the website on Saturday and got a reply on Sunday (because the application was closing on Saturday). The group interview was on Tuesday, out of the vicinity of the store, but at the office. I expected 10-30 people but there were 60-80! All sorts of people, applying for various positions at various locations.

// Group Interview //
    tldr; It was less about your answers and more about your behaviour.
    60-80 people seated at tables in groups of 6-7. We wrote out names big on name stickers. The facilitating lady (very humorous) made the Coles managers/representatives introduce themselves. They stood at one per table. From different Coles locations, which were hiring.
    Ran through a powerpoint about Coles, history, statistics, information.
    Activity: Introduce yourself to your group 1~2 minutes each! Quick and easy.
    Activity: Order these things in order of priority (someone else on glassdoor has mentioned this already) individually, then discuss and finalise answer as a group. Basically, safety and customers first!
    Activity: Brainstorm as a group what makes great customer service. Afterwards, describe it to the Coles representative for your table.

The last thing we did was fill out, well basically another application form. Don't bluff on it. We could apply for multiple locations (order them in order of priority). Fill out your availability. etc.

Overall it was fun, interesting to meet so many different people.
    Just be sociable and willing to interact with your group. Talk to them. Talk to the Coles person monitoring your table. Show that you're capable of being human.

Of course throughout, there were plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
    Some questions people asked were:
    - Is there any further training provided?
    - Can we apply at multiple locations?

// Individual Interview //
    The next day they called and asked me to go to the 1 on 1 interview. It was with the store manager. Overall a positive experience. Friendly person, easy to talk to. There were many questions. Not hard. But prepare yourself, think of examples BEFOREHAND of when you've demonstrated team-ish skills. You don't want to be sitting there rummaging through the archived files and memories of your life. We sat in a small room with a table and chairs. I love the table. Thank goodness for the table. I smiled a lot, maintain strong eye contact.

After 6 days they contacted me with acceptance.

// Tips //
    + A trick for maintaining steady eye contact: When you look at people, observe their eye colour.
    + Smile with your eyes, not just your mouth.
    + Don't worry, seriously.
    + Think of examples of your skills/qualities, keep them on your mind.
    + Talk to other people in the group interview, don't close yourself. Be open, take initiative.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of where you have shown safety first (something along the lines of)   Answer Question
    • Give an example where you have done something to improve or change yourself - in any aspect.   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you had to word on a team towards a deadline.   Answer Question
    • What do you think makes great customer service?   View Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Coles Group in April 2014.

apply online, phone call, interview and offer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Coles Group.

Applied online. Had one face to face interview.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Coles Group.

My brother worked at the local Coles & they were looking for new casual staff to hire. I was at high school & thought this would be a great first job.

At the time, I was able to have the hiring process sped up due to my brother already being employed & I had also met my potential manager. After about a year, the hiring process for the Coles Group changed & made it nearly impossible to bypass or speed up - it is a compulsory & sometimes lengthy process that I have had many friends complain about the time it takes to get to the interview stage.

Interview Questions
    • The interview I had was very casual & brief - I had pretty much been given the job already so the interview was more a formality at this stage.   Answer Question
    No negotiation was available. Everything is very standard process at Coles.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Coles Group in December 2011.

1application online
    2 group interview: introduction, group discussion and presentation
    3 interview by store manager
    In a word, group interview is the most important process

Interview Questions
    • in fact , as a entry level position, it not has very difficult block on the interview.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Coles Group in January 2008.

Received a call asking me to come in to speak to the manager for an interview. Sat down, went through the details. Did a test on the computer. Passed. Talked through a contract and signed.

Interview Questions
    • If a customer were to complain and get angry at you, what would you do?   Answer Question
    No negotiation except on hours.