College Works Painting

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Interview

Summer
Austin, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at College Works Painting in September 2013.

Interview Details – I got a call from someone saying I had signed up because I was interested in an internship. They ask you to meet with them in a group session where they make you feel like you're competing against each other to get a follow up interview. I was going to get a shot at it but turned it down because it seemed shady. The representative, who was a general manager for her branch, was rude towards me when I turned it down. She said I'd never get an internship. She also would beat around the bush when we asked about how everything worked and that it would later be explained.

Interview Question – I was asked how interning for them could benefit me. It was difficult because I knew nothing about what it was about I had just shown up to the interview. They gave us a pamphlet to look through for about a minute.   Answer Question

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at College Works Painting in October 2013.

Interview Details – About 4 rounds of interviews: (1) phone/informational; (2) face-to-face/informational/selective; (3) for potential candidates with senior manager; (4) via phone with senior manager (yes/no decision).

Interview is easy. You have to show your communication skills, intelligence, etc. Be calm and confident.

Interview Question – None were unexpected. Everything is straight-forward   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a better opportunity in larger firm.

Marketing and Sales Intern Interview

Marketing and Sales Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at College Works Painting in February 2013.

Interview Details – I stumbled upon this job posting on Craigslist. I contacted them back by e-mail and by phone. They sent a response the next day. Interviews were done at a local starbucks coffee shop. They hired me the first day, claiming they needed hungry college interns, capable of making a lot of money, with unlimited potential. Once hired, they send you to a "job seminar" for a few days in some undisclosed location until the day of. They make you stay for hours without pay, of course! The person giving the seminar is a supposed CEO, who rants about living in Laguna Niguel, is ultra rich, is friends with the creator of the "Hot Pockets" and claims to have a "Black Card." This guy is a suspicious guy from the beginning. Once done with the "seminar" they make you sign a series of shady contracts and waivers. You are not allowed to disclose information shared or given to you about the company and their procedures. To top it off, they don't pay when you're supposed to get paid. You have to verbally obligate them to pay you or else open a civil lawsuit against them and their corrupt corporation.

Flag Interview

College Works Painting CEO responded to this review

Jun 18, 2014

I am sorry this was your experience and I am happy to talk to you about it. Each of our employees must be paid in a timely manner, if you were not paid properly we need to straighten that out ... More

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at College Works Painting.

Interview Details – The company called me after I'd said I was interested in one of my college classes. They originally called me to gauge my interest, and later asked me for a time that would be best for an interview. On my first call, I asked if it would be a problem that I didn't have a car, and they told me there wouldn't be as long as I could get around. Unfortunately, the first question in my interview was whether or not I had a car, and I was immediately dismissed once I said I didn't. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed. Shows a lack of communication on the company's part.

Regional Manager Interview

Regional Manager
College Station, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at College Works Painting in October 2011.

Interview Details – Starts with a phone interview, and then goes on to a casual interview at a local Starbucks. I had to take 2 personality tests, and come back for a second Starbucks interview before getting an offer. It seems they aren't looking for anything too specific, just someone who is interested in working hard and knows how to show up on time.

Interview Question – There wasn't anything difficult about the process, I think they just want to know you can be on time and put forth a little effort.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They take 40% of all your sales, so you're left to use the remaining 60% to cover your costs. They also take nearly 100% of whatever you pay your crews, so you end up paying twice as much as your labor should cost.

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Madison, WI

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at College Works Painting.

Interview Details – I filled out a sheet of paper in my class and was contacted a few weeks later with a phone call. This is the initial interview. They will ask you a few questions about yourself and then figure out a time when they would like to meet up next. The next two are on campus interviews with different students who have gone through the program. As long as you show that you're interested, motivated, and determined, you should have no trouble making it to the next round.

Interview Question – Questions were straight forward and easy. Just be ready to talk about your resume, give examples of how you exemplified certain skills, and show that you're motivated. You can be into anything and get this job.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Couldn't get the logistics figured out

Summer Management Intern Interview

Summer Management Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at College Works Painting.

Interview Details – They do their best to not tell you it is a summer painting job until you are sitting in front of them. Brief phone interview followed up by a group face-to-face interview and a final interview. Mostly just had to defend my resume and prove I was a team player with high achievement drive

Interview Question – What three accomplishments to you take the most pride in and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was allowed. Must accept company terms.

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at College Works Painting

Interview Details – Got a call from to ask if I was still interested. After a couple of questions I was scheduled a time for a phone interview with a head recruiter.

Interview Question – Name a time that you had to take initiative and lead a project.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

District Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at College Works Painting.

Interview Details – The internship itself is the interview process. If you are successful as an intern in your first year, you will be approached about becoming a District Manager. This position is for the best of the best, and you are definitely treated that way.

Interview Question – What is your biggest fear about becoming a District Manager?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Columbus, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at College Works Painting in October 2009.

Interview Details – Consisted of two in-person interviews and one short phone interview.

Interview Question – At the last interview I was expected to know a lot of the many duties and responsibilities that I would be getting involved with. Seemed it was to ensure I really understood what I would be doing and what would be expected of me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't really much room for negotiation, the company is already spending a lot of money on the interns to train them and provide the equipment.

Interviews for Top Jobs at College Works Painting

Worked for College Works Painting? Contribute to the Community!

College Works Painting Videos

College Works Painting – Why Work for Us?

​​Become a Part of Something Great!​​ Finding a reliable resource for high-quality house painting can be a challenge. So can paying for college. College Works Painting offers a unique solution for both. Training and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at College Works Painting interview questions and advice. All 47 interview reviews posted anonymously by College Works Painting employees and interview candidates.