College of Lake County

Relevance Date Difficulty

Career Recruiter and Other Positions Interview

Career Recruiter and Other Positions
Grayslake, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at College of Lake County.

Interview Details – Apply online by suppling cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts.

Phone screen - they tell you you have been selected for an interview, then HR gives you a topic for a powerpoint presentation that you must present at your interview. Some positions don't require this, but a few interviews I had with CLC do - it will state that on the job posting if it is needed.

Before the in person panel interview, I was given a vague topic that I had to present via HR - you will not have chance to ask questions to clarify what they mean because HR has no clue who is interviewing. It takes many hours to put the powerpoint together so you better have time to do this. They only tell you you can save it on a flash drive or disk. I always to well on PowerPoint presentations however, because I basically cut and paste nice looking graphics from CLC's website and that seems to impress them. But it is nerve wracking since you are not sure why they are asking you for that particular subject matter or what exactly they are looking for.

Before your fire suqad interview, you have to go into the HR dept and get all the info on benefits, etc etc and they give you papers even though they have not decided to hire you yet.

You are then walked into the room and interviewers give you the opportunity to either answer questions first or present your Ppt first. Each person takes a turn to ask the questions they have thought of their self I believe. I thought it was interesting that no direct manager or higher up who I would be reporting to was in my interview who I would be reporting to or even mentioned that who would be my supervisor.

Their policy for most interviews, from what I have been told on the job, is that you have to have at least 4 people sitting in the interview - some will be from entirely different departments you may never work with. I don't see the point in this policy, especially for certain positions that don't require this type of interviewing style like a part time clerk.

Then you get a call after interview rom HR to say it is between you and another person and then wait, and then if you are lucky get a phone call again from HR that you have been hired.

Not a fun interview and nerve wracking. I can see this type of firing squad interview for a Dean or some head honcho, but for a part time clerk or something of that nature is ridiculous to me.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since the exact pay amount, to the penny, was given at job description online for applying.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Specialist Interview

Specialist

Interview Details – An individual from Human Resource contacted me and requested open availability to meet with the hiring committee. They informed me of what is required and expected in the interview. I came 15 minuets before the interview to Human Resources and then was picked up by an individual that sat on the hiring committee. We came to a dark classroom where the 8 committee members sat. They introduced themselves one by one and gave me the option to either start the interview or give my presentation. I gave my presentation first, waited to answer questions then proceeded with sitting to start the interview questions. They asked me a series of 20-25 questions that were tailored to the position and company culture and values. Much of the questions were behavioral. I didnt think I did well in the interview because the hiring individuals kept straight faces and didnt provide feedback but I got an offer about a week later.

Interview Question – I cant recall.. but I know there was a few that through me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for College of Lake County? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at College of Lake County interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by College of Lake County employees and interview candidates.