Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co.

www.coloniallife.com

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. Interview Questions

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

1.9

Regional Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co..

The regional site uses a recruiter to collect and contact persons regarding 1099 positions. The recruiter does not use precise interests and is not forthright about the opportunities which people may consider. Most interviews are conducted in a group and have general information. It is difficult to get direct answers regarding the job or the job pay.

Associated Customer Service Representative Interview

The entire process took about 2 weeks. I applied online, and then was sent a questionnaire type email that I was to fill out and return within 48 hours. Next there was a 30 minute phone interview asking questions about past work experience. I was immediately told that the phone interview went well and I chose a day to come in the following week for an onsite interview.
    This is where it got interesting... I was interviewed in a room with the 2 managers of the call center and immediately became very uncomfortable when I was questioned where I was from because of my accent. The manager also mentioned that he liked my resume but I did not look like what he imagined I would, based on my resume. We went through a few questions that I expected.."why do you want to work here" and the manager interrupted me to tell me I seemed extremely nervous and my lip was quivering. I told them I was a little nervous (but I was not shaking and who isn't a little nervous for a job interview?) After a series of questions I was given a description of services provided by a fictitious hotel and given 1 minute to look over it. Then one manager left the room to be the caller for a mock phone call while the other manager stayed in the room to observe me. The manger came over the phone acting as a rude customer asking if he could bring his dog to the hotel. The paper said 'no pets' so I informed him of that and suggested he put the dog in a pet hotel. After the phone call, the manager came back into the room and listed things I did wrong. Overall, I felt I did well in the interview, and I was offered the job the same day. I declined the job offer because I felt as though my looks and accent caused the interviewers to demean me throughout the interview and I was not treated with the professionalism that I expect.

Interview Questions
    • List 3 reasons why you want to work for our company?   View Answer

The interviewers made unprofessional comments and made me feel very uncomfortable throughout the interview because of my accent and where I am from.

Sales Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in October 2014.

Very comfortable interview. I have 27 years in a parallel industry so it was pretty low key. The manager put me at ease right away and explained the position very well.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co..

Initially contacted by HR via phone call. Was asked to take an excel test and had an additional phone interview. Had an interview with every manager within the department I worked.

Consultant and Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co..

Received an email from HR, set up date and time, I chose the latest date and time for interview but there were dates for day after the email and so on. Tried to do some research on their site regarding the specific careers but that turned up cold so I went in blind. Thought it would be one-on-one but was put into a classroom with +/- 10 others and given a overview of company. After the overview you were given the chance to either leave or get the one-on-one interview as they promised. Very misleading in email, said there would only be consulting employees or management of sales teams and no selling. The classroom overview, however, stated otherwise. Territories and potential sales strategies were discussed as well as compensation through commission none of which were mentioned in the email.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't go through the interview process. I left after they gave us the chance to leave but a few others stuck around.   Answer Question

Benefit Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lacey, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lacey, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in February 2014.

The recruiter e-mailed me saying that she'd seen my resume online and wanted to schedule an interview. We set one up, and then I started researching the company a bit more. I found that most of the positions they offer are commission only contract positions. I asked the recruiter if this is the sort of position I was interviewing for, and she said that was not the case. So, I went to the interview, and the first words out of the interviewers mouth were "This is a commission only position." At that point I ended the interview. These positions only work for experienced sales people, and I am certainly not one. I also do not appreciate being lied to right from the start.

Interview Questions
    • There's a questionnaire at the beginning, but it's mostly a formality. There are questions like where you see yourself in five years, but nothing unexpected. They are mostly trying to sell you the position, so they are not terribly interested in whether or not you are qualified. There's no loss for them if you don't make any sales.   Answer Question

Not interested

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Opelika, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Opelika, AL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in November 2013.

Applied online and originally did not see response email as it went to my spam folder. Checked it and responded and wrote back and forth a little with the woman before having an interview set up for a week from then. There were no questions about the job, only the guy explaining what the job is like and telling me when and how to get training started up.

Was told it was commission-based so my success was upon my shoulders.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in November 2013.

Answered newspaper ad. Interviewed almost immediately.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monona, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monona, WI

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in November 2013.

Simple process-Contact website, then connect with local management

Interview Questions
    • The requirement for State Licensing for 2 or more lines of insurance. Also requirement for a rigorous background check by the State in order to be licensed by the State.   Answer Question

Independent Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Colonial Life & Accident Insurance Co. in August 2013.

initial group presentation by DGA, 30 minute process then the opportunity to ask questions. NYS life, accident and health license is required $169. All your own gas and expenses. One on one followed for those in the room who still had interest. The decision to get contracted was one of my own, you dont get hired you become an Independent Agent contracted with Colonial.

Interview Questions
    • Really were no questions except figuring out if this was for you. The starting off cold with nothing to go on.   Answer Question
    There isn't any, you join the team and go get a license.