Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Guest Services Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Interview Details – Was applying with the Williamsburg Lodge. Had an interview with both the Front Office Manager and the Restaurant Manager. It was very cut in dry, they both had the same list of questions to ask me and they just hopped around to asking them. Wasn't too long or harsh, they asked me a lot of behavioral questions as well as questions about my future aspirations. Almost feel as though they were trying to see if I was just trying to add the position to my resume or if I planned on being with the company for the long run.

Interview Question – How different would you treat a low performer vs. a high performing employee?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Interview Details – The online application is very cumbersome, as it requires a resume upload and manually inputting the same information. However, after that, the response times were very quick, and responses were very clear.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly standard.   Answer Question

Orientation Interpreter Interview

Interview Details – Called me in for an interview in about a week, asked me some basic customer service questions. This is an Acting position, so I was asked to give my responses to some specific situations. They asked me to put together a short improv speech with a couple of props.

Interview Question – The improv section. It was unexpected and I felt put on the spot. But it went fine.   Answer Question

Production Manager Interview

Williamsburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in October 2013.

Interview Details – Great process. Discrete initial communication. Thorough but comfortable interview. No crazy theme questions. Just conversation pertinent to duties. Allowed time for my questions. Quick follow-up with hire information. Very clear about wages/benefits. Excellent orientation.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I suspect I may have been able to negotiate a bit, but honestly was so pleased with the offered salary I did not.

Very Easy Interview

Orientation Interpreter Interview

Orientation Interpreter

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in April 2013.

Interview Details – rly easy although they are looking for a specific type of person without properly compensating for the work expected. Many need to work two jobs to make ends meet in the current economic climate. Be prepared to present to the hiring committee as if auditioning for a part in a stage production.

i thought interview went well
never heard back from this company
they lost good protental employee
im hard working and i am history reenactor and i am descedent of sir walter reliegh which one of their travens is name after and all my past jobs i was always on time and never had bad reviews .
i even made trip down to virginia from new jersey for my interview instead of doing skype interview .

Historical Interpreter Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Interview Details – Fairly easy although they are looking for a specific type of person without properly compensating for the work expected. Many need to work two jobs to make ends meet in the current economic climate. Be prepared to present to the hiring committee as if auditioning for a part in a stage production.

Interview Question – Are you hot/cold in that outfit?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Employees are hired at the base rate or not at all. Compression raises are common meaning the longer a person is employed, the less raise is given. Annual raises are consistent across the board although the rough economy has forced the company to forego raises in recent years.

Story Teller Interview

Williamsburg, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in August 2009.

Interview Details – Tow leaders of the evening entertainment program sat for my audition. I told a story of my own writing. They made some directional corrections which I incorporated immediately. I was asked to briefly portray another character, which I did.

I was contacted by email within a couple of days to come to talk to one of the directors. I was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – no Negotiation. They hired me at the going wage. I accepted.

Hostess & Bartender Interview

Interviewed at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Interview Details – This was one of the best processes I have experienced in over 25 years of working. Professional and respectful. Very clear about expectations and what to expect. Orientation was thorough. Couldn't ask for a better process.

Interview Question – I think all of the questions were fair and concise. Nothing that one doesn't expect in a professional interview.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Colonial Williamsburg Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colonial Williamsburg Foundation interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Colonial Williamsburg Foundation employees and interview candidates.