Colorado Coalition for the Homeless

Very Easy Interview

Business Instructor Interview

Business Instructor
Denver, CO

The process took a day - interviewed at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless in March 2011.

Interview Details – Person hired over me quit after two months.

Interview was not the type expected for higher education setting and reminded me of a sales interview.

The Director of Education did not have his own office and shared very small office room with three other employees and desks. The college itself is very small and almost looks like a former old style bank. Dress attire was attempt at professionalism, but reflected low pay even at senior level and cramming of students and staff reflected a profit driven college tat could have been mistaken for a insurance sales office.

Director of Education was Massage Therapist with very little real world experience and no college education ( Heritage College grad) and basically they were desperate to hire

Interview Question – None. High turnover makes Heritage College desperate to hire. They were hiring Medical Assistants to teach College level Business and psychology classes.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – 18 per hour is all they can offer. If you have a job that pays a little less I would keep it because high turnover and most do not like working at Heritage besides the drones hoping management throws them a crumb or a made up title. The college would be great as part-time, but do not recommend for full time employement.

Social Service Interview

Social Service
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless in July 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very casual in the preliminary interview, I was asked- "Why are people Homeless" to which I think I had a good response. There were followup interviews the following week and I met with a different person. The people that work here seem like they are pretty great people to work with because they are interested and passionate about making positive change in the lives of the less fortunate.

Interview Question – Why are people homeless   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was little to no negotiation because this is a non-profit

Intake Specialist Interview

Intake Specialist
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless in August 2010.

Interview Details – I submitted a cover letter and resume, which is the standard. I was told to define homelessness in my cover letter and I did so very well. It was very confusing to locate the office, it is a bit of a maze because all of the offices for the coalition are in this area. I was given a sheet that consisted of 5 questions, two scenarios. The first question was obviously, "Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position," followed by "Tell me a time where you had to overcome differences in the workplace, for example different view points," followed by one that I am unsure of and two very intense scenarios. The woman who was interviewing me was messy, her office was unkempt and she seemed to be stressed by the "heavy" nature of the job. Unfortunately I didn't notice this at first and made a comment as to my ability to avoid procrastination in my answer to one of the scenario questions. I understand the potential for "burn out," however I did not like her answer to my question about treating the victims of homelessness with a rash, aggressive and essentially careless attitude. She stated that it was a very emotional job and that people who work in social service oriented careers have slip ups as well. I didn't think that was acceptable. Other than that, she was a "sweet lady." Unfortunately there was no feedback from her which I find incredibly unprofessional, not even an email stating a decline. All in all this is a wonderful organization and I would encourage those who truly have a sense of compassion and are 100% altruistic in their hearts and intentions to apply.

Interview Question – Scenario: What would you do if you came into work on a Tuesday and you had several messages on your voice mail from a victim stating that she had an emergency and needed to speak to you immediately? You already met with this person yesterday and she is insisting on speaking with you, receiving bus tokens, a hotel voucher and diapers. She is now in the waiting room. How would you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Colorado Coalition for the Homeless? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Colorado Coalition for the Homeless interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Colorado Coalition for the Homeless employees and interview candidates.