Columbia Gas of Virginia

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Engineer I Interview

Field Engineer I
Warrenton, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Columbia Gas of Virginia in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by phone by an HR rep about 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was with an HR rep. and the current leader of field engineers.
 The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. Basic behavioral questions, also what I knew about the company.
 Within 5 days of the phone interview, I was contacted by phone, by the HR rep to schedule a face-to-face interview. I was asked to bring an example of a project I've worked on. This interview was pretty basic too. More behavioral questions, just more in depth than over the phone. How do I work in a team, give an example when I worked with someone I didn't get along with, give an example of how I handled a stressful situation. Things like that. Along with a few knowledge questions like what software packages I'm familiar with. I had brought a powerpoint presentation, which was the final presentation for the project I brought for an example of my work. They allowed me a few minutes at the end of the interview to give the presentation.
  Within 3 days of the face-to-face interview, I was contacted again by phone, this time by the lead field engineer and was invited to another interview in the office the position is based out of, along with being invited out to lunch. This final interview was not much of an interview, it was more of an orientation. I had the opportunity to meet most everyone in the office and speak at length with the other field engineer in the office who I'd be working closely with. The company covered lunch at a cafe near by. I spent about 4 hours with them that day.
   5 days later, an HR rep called and said they would like to send me a job offer and wanted to know if I was still interested. After saying yes, she explained some generalities about the offer and let me know the offer would be e-mailed within the next 24 hours. The next day, a different HR rep called and explained she would be the one to walk me through the pre-employment process. That if I had any questions I could call her.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you made a mistake at work or on a project and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was extremely competitive and I felt there was no need for negotiation.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Columbia Gas of Virginia in November 2011.

Interview Details – Applied Online, Phone Interview w/ HR and Current Engineer, On Site Interview with same people from the phone interview. Basic behavioral interview. They wanted me to bring in a project I worked on and explain it for a few minutes. They also asked a few software questions (what you're familiar working with - email, MS office, CAD program)

Interview Question – A few behavioral questions - explain a time you were part of a team, how you handled a conflict in a group, an obstacle you had to overcome, a time you overlooked a detail, etc.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Columbia Gas of Virginia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Columbia Gas of Virginia interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Columbia Gas of Virginia employees and interview candidates.