Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 12, 2014
Updated Sep 12, 2014

2.5

Grading and Cirriculum Assistant Interview

Interviews are with professors who you will be working for, so they will vary greatly. For example I was hired off of my resume, there was no interview process. Though others who had interviews say they generally focus on technical skills, previous experience, and knowledge of the topic that will be taught in the class.

Senior Staff Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Columbia University in March 2010.

Interview process was an all day interview with multiple people. They more assessed the fit of my personality more than anything else. They offered me the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • They more assessed my personality fit. The questions were not difficult.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a little but you can always negotiate more.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

I made three separate trips to campus, and interviewed with six people combined. I also completed a test assignment (not terribly challenging). I not once met an HR representative, and still (after having worked here for two months) have not met her. Everyone along the interview process was kind, understanding, and personable. Onboarding is ridiculous, but that's another story.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on salary and on title, and was successful in both areas.

MAINTENANCE/PORTER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

I was on time or before time. Dress well. Have all my document, certificate and resume. Never left the reception area without letting then now where I was going, just incase they ask or call you while you are not present.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done during your time unemployed?   View Answer
    Very fast, easy and educational

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Columbia University in January 2013.

Set up interview with administrative assistant. Interview lasted from 9-5 all day with a presentation at lunch time. Met with other post docs in the lab. Met with PI and discussed potential projects.

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Columbia's hiring is driven by their website system and it can be hard to get an interview. Look carefully at the job posting date to be sure they are actively recruiting for a role. Some openings seem to be posted, yet inactive. One attraction is that many people I encountered had moved from very different departments. So there is an opportunity to move and get new experiences, while maintaining the same employer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked all of the traditional questions, but did not provide a lot of insights into benefits, work life balance, etc.   Answer Question

Data Manager Interview

Received an email from HR rep asking to arrange an in-person interview. In-person interview with hiring manager (lasted about 1 hours) and then an in-person interview with epidemiologist. Hiring manager requested 2-3 references (all professional references)

Various Research Positions Interview

I've interviewed for four positions at Columbia in the last year and none of them were particularly great experiences.

Interview #1 - hiring manager asked typical interview questions and was extremely rude (even more so on the phone, I shouldn't have bothered with an in-person interview). Then she introduced me to various team members and they were all very awkward and disengaged. I was never contacted again, but HR website said the position was filled. Then it was relisted a few months later. It sounded like a high turnover job and I wasn't surprised.

Interview #2- an admittedly bad fit. It was just obvious. People were nice though and I received a polite rejection email a week or so later.

Interview #3- met with a very nice departmental administrator and was told second interviews would be conducted in another month. That was 6 months ago and I never heard anything else, although according to HR the position is still open.

Interview #4- met with former person in the position (who was promoted) and departmental administrator. The first person was nice and answered questions and we had a nice conversation. She gave me a good sense of the job. The departmental administrator was a total jerk. He barked at me when I wouldn't answer my salary requirements (I said I was open to hearing their range) and kept asking me in different ways. If he hadn't been so persistent I would have probably just told him, but I found him to be really rude. Then he asked a bunch of extremely negative behavioral questions that were just bizarre. At the end he said he would have a sense within a few weeks what 'direction they would be going in,' and whether they would need to repost the position and get more candidates. Uh… I guess that was my rejection because I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Negative behavioral questions- i.e. tell me about dealing with difficult people, times you've faced adversity, etc.   Answer Question

Clerical Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

I applied online. I forgot I applied for that position because the hiring process can take some time before hearing anything back. I received a call from hiring manager, interviewed, then was also interviewed by supervisor. I received an offer a week later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked lots of questions about my old gig. Interviewer was fascinated that place.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. Entry level position.

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Columbia University.

The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change.

I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Questions
    • It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!