Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.6

Associate Director of Financial Reporting At the Business School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in April 2011.

I applied to this position online after hearing of it through a referral. It had been vacant for months and still is vacant three and a half months later. I found the whole process very slow and disappointing. It took about six weeks for them to call. I had a short phone interview the following day with the executive director of HR. She told me someone from the business school would call me to set up in person interviews. I interviewed in person about two weeks later. First, I met with the assistant director of HR who was pleasant. She asked me several of the typical questions and many about supervising others. Then I met with the senior associate dean of the business school who was very nice. That interview was very short and the easiest of the three. Next was the executive director of financial planning who was the toughest. It was very hard to read her. All three interviews combined took a little over an hour. I sent thank you emails to all three and received no response. I also sent a follow up email to the HR asst director I met with which also went unanswered. I found the lack of feedback or follow up to be very unprofessional. The campus was beautiful. I think salary was one issue against me. It doesn't seem that they pay very well.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were normal. Nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Academic Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in April 2013.

Phone interview, In Person Interview and In-Person Test to show understanding of specific professor's needs

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University in June 2009.

Applied online at internships.com; got a call a couple of weeks later; very difficult interview, with probing questions and case questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many Ferraris are being driven in New York City right now.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in March 2009.

I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview.

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change.

I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Questions
    • It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Columbia University in January 2013.

Set up interview with administrative assistant. Interview lasted from 9-5 all day with a presentation at lunch time. Met with other post docs in the lab. Met with PI and discussed potential projects.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

I made three separate trips to campus, and interviewed with six people combined. I also completed a test assignment (not terribly challenging). I not once met an HR representative, and still (after having worked here for two months) have not met her. Everyone along the interview process was kind, understanding, and personable. Onboarding is ridiculous, but that's another story.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on salary and on title, and was successful in both areas.

Senior Staff Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University in March 2010.

Interview process was an all day interview with multiple people. They more assessed the fit of my personality more than anything else. They offered me the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • They more assessed my personality fit. The questions were not difficult.   Answer Question
    I negotiated a little but you can always negotiate more.

Business School - Client Development Role Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in September 2014.

I went through the traditional 3 rounds of interviews for this role: phone interview, first in person with potential boss; second interview with potential boss' boss; third interview with 3 team members. I applied online to a posting that was about 10 days old, and got my first contact from them about a week later. The next 2 interviews came fairly close together (4-7 days apart each). I sent references after the second. I was told I was one of three finalists and after 9 days, I had to ask for an update. The reply from the hiring manager took 4 days- never a good sign. They "considered me very seriously", but offered it to another person who was a better match and thanked me for coming in 3 times. The HM and I had different styles, so it was probably just as well I didn't get the role.

Interview Questions
    • The most awkward question was what three things would you do in the first 60 days, when my potential peers were in the room. They were not currently doing my suggested activities, which made them look a bit bad and created an awkward moment.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

two online assessment tests. One is coding test, the other is sort of logical test. Two question for coding test. The first one is that given a string, delete all 'a,e,i,o,u', and return the new string. the second one is that given two string, check if one is the other's rotation. "cdefab" is the rotation of “abcdef" the logic test is hard to describe, but I suggest you to convert all a-z to 1-26 as a list and have that list at hands when you are doing the test.