Columbia University

97 candidate interviews

Associate Director of Financial Reporting At the Business School Interview

Associate Director of Financial Reporting At the Business School
New York, NY

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied to this position online after hearing of it through a referral. It had been vacant for months and still is vacant three and a half months later. I found the whole process very slow and disappointing. It took about six weeks for them to call. I had a short phone interview the following day with the executive director of HR. She told me someone from the business school would call me to set up in person interviews. I interviewed in person about two weeks later. First, I met with the assistant director of HR who was pleasant. She asked me several of the typical questions and many about supervising others. Then I met with the senior associate dean of the business school who was very nice. That interview was very short and the easiest of the three. Next was the executive director of financial planning who was the toughest. It was very hard to read her. All three interviews combined took a little over an hour. I sent thank you emails to all three and received no response. I also sent a follow up email to the HR asst director I met with which also went unanswered. I found the lack of feedback or follow up to be very unprofessional. The campus was beautiful. I think salary was one issue against me. It doesn't seem that they pay very well.

Interview Question – Interview questions were normal. Nothing really unexpected.   Answer Question

Academic Coordinator Interview

Academic Coordinator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in April 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, In Person Interview and In-Person Test to show understanding of specific professor's needs

Interview Question – What do you want to do after this job?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online at internships.com; got a call a couple of weeks later; very difficult interview, with probing questions and case questions.

Interview Question – How many Ferraris are being driven in New York City right now.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in March 2009.

Interview Details – I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview.

Negotiation Details – Hard

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Manager of Marketing Communications
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change.

I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Question – It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Postdoctoral Research Scientist

I applied in-person - interviewed at Columbia University in January 2013.

Interview Details – Set up interview with administrative assistant. Interview lasted from 9-5 all day with a presentation at lunch time. Met with other post docs in the lab. Met with PI and discussed potential projects.

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – Columbia's hiring is driven by their website system and it can be hard to get an interview. Look carefully at the job posting date to be sure they are actively recruiting for a role. Some openings seem to be posted, yet inactive. One attraction is that many people I encountered had moved from very different departments. So there is an opportunity to move and get new experiences, while maintaining the same employer.

Interview Question – They asked all of the traditional questions, but did not provide a lot of insights into benefits, work life balance, etc.   Answer Question

Facilities Interview

Facilities

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – Interviewed with both director and Associate director together at the same time. they were very well prepared with their questions and were very professional. the entire interview took about 35 mins. I was then given a tour of the facility. I also found that HR also did a thorough background check and did their due diligence and called every Employees listed on my resume.

Interview Question – Nothing really, just alot about past work experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – they made and offer...I countered.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Columbia University in January 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is sometimes arbitrary, with GRE selection cutoffs. The other most important thing is the recommendations and who they come from. It is really all about who you know and who you've worked with.

Interview Question – This depends on the Professor you are interviewing with, but they will expect you to know and understand their work even if you will not be working with them directly. You may also be expected to have a basic grasp of research methods and statistics.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, it's a fixed package.

Clerical Assistant Interview

Clerical Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I applied online. I forgot I applied for that position because the hiring process can take some time before hearing anything back. I received a call from hiring manager, interviewed, then was also interviewed by supervisor. I received an offer a week later.

Interview Question – I was asked lots of questions about my old gig. Interviewer was fascinated that place.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. Entry level position.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!