Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.7

Career Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Responded to an ad, the director called to schedue an interview. She asked three generic questions that did not have much to do with the actual job, and then said thanks for coming. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. I'm not sure why they called me for an interview.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in January 2013.

Interview

It was a lengthy but very professional and informative process. I never felt like I was waiting for an update. I met with HR, then with the Chief of Staff and then was called back to meet with the Dean of MSPH and the Finance Manger as well as the Admin on staff

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen, in person interview with recruiter, then senior staff member, good probing questions. The good thing about this was that although I didn't get the job, the recruiter contacted me really quickly to let me know I was not moving on to the next step, many companies let you hang for a long time or never contact you so you don't know. On the downside, I always ask 'what could I do better?' in the interview, I did not get a response. I know it's a lot to ask, but if you're a dedicated recruiter, that's your job.

Interview Questions

• What one thing in your current job are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2009.

Interview

I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview.

Negotiation

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Columbia University in January 2013.

Interview

Set up interview with administrative assistant. Interview lasted from 9-5 all day with a presentation at lunch time. Met with other post docs in the lab. Met with PI and discussed potential projects.

Assistant Manager, Welcome Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Was called initially in January 2015 for a phone interview. Heard nothing back and even sent a follow-up email two weeks later to hear back later in February it was filled. Was later called in March to come in for a f2f interview with same lady who said it was filled. Met with her and another lady the same day and had another interview that next week with the team I would have been working under. Heard nothing for almost three weeks. Finally got an email saying I was not selected. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What can you contribute? Strengths & weaknesses?   Answer Question

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change. I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Questions

• It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

i got an email to set up an interview time. they tell you who to expect in the group interview. then at the in-person group interview, the whole process lasted about 30 - 45 minutes with plenty of time to ask them questions. there was a follow-up email telling you the interview result

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Recruited and flown to NYC. They paid for dinner and activities around the city. Interviewed professors and toured the facilities. Over all it was very enjoyable. The whole process took three days.

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

One day interview. Meet with ~10 professors. One talk focusing on your past research with 5-10 min on future plan. It was in Feb. There is a second round interview. Good experience. They show me lab, have lunch together. A whole day. People are friendly. No meeting with students. They asked what are my questions. Discuss research

Interview Questions

• How do you differentiate from your advisors? What is your most important contribution?   Answer Question