Columbia University

92 candidate interviews

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – Application to the PhD program is standard. Three letters of recommendation are probably the most important, followed by research experience, then grades and reputation of undergraduate institution. There's also a personal statement and GRE scores.

Interview Question – There was no interview for my position, just the application.   Answer Question

Business School Research Coordinator Interview

Business School Research Coordinator

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – Got the interview opportunity after the resume was pre-screened. Most questions asked in the interview were very technical and closely related to the computer languages I listed on my resume. There are seldom behavioral questions asked.

Interview Question – Probablity: what is the probablity to pick up a pair of socks when choosing two socks from two red and two black socks?
SQL: how to create index and do index search. What is the problem when using index with large dataset?
  Answer Question

Internship In Building Community Interview

Internship In Building Community

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – A very smooth process- I sent in my application and a few weeks later got an email scheduling the interview. The interview was more of an informal conversation. Talked about previous experiences working with high schoolers, summer camps, etc.

Interview Question – How would you encourage high schoolers to meet new groups of people?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work Study Intrn Interview

Work Study Intrn

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – i just had to fill out forms and be a student in the program

Interview Question – there were no difficult questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i just had to fill out government documentation

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I'm new to interview. I interviewed with Microsoft and Google. Microsoft just asked me some basic questions like "tell me your project experience" "what technology you are interested in recently". While google has two phone interview. Mostly about algorithm.

Interview Question – Design a cache   Answer Question

Student Interview

Student

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – There was one interview. It is pretty straight forward and questions are very manageable. I believe what they are trying to measure is your personality fit and not so much the academic one.

Interview Question – Why Columbia and not Yale.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Human Resources Coordinator

I applied online and interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions about experiences and education. Followed-up with them after the interview and again a week later as I had not yet heard anything. About a month after I had my interview I checked my status on JAC and noticed that the position had been filled.

Interview Question – What thoughts do you have on the future recruitment for our school?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – Interviews with professors, no transparency. There is no true bar or a way to tell who gets accepted

Interview Question – I wasn't asked anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Coordinator

Interviewed at Columbia University

Interview Details – the lucky few get follow up interviews to ensure they are a good fit. the unfortunate get selected blindly and may get stuck with a horrible manager.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I got the job through a former professor who appreciated my work. The hiring and interview process was very lax, and because I was hourly, it was not a big deal about how much or where I worked.

Interview Question – not applicable   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not applicable

Interviews for Top Jobs at Columbia University

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Columbia University interview questions and advice. All 92 interview reviews posted anonymously by Columbia University employees and interview candidates.