Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.6

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Interviews with professors, no transparency. There is no true bar or a way to tell who gets accepted

Interview Questions

• I wasn't asked anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Application to the PhD program is standard. Three letters of recommendation are probably the most important, followed by research experience, then grades and reputation of undergraduate institution. There's also a personal statement and GRE scores.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview for my position, just the application.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I'm new to interview. I interviewed with Microsoft and Google. Microsoft just asked me some basic questions like "tell me your project experience" "what technology you are interested in recently". While google has two phone interview. Mostly about algorithm.

Student Interview

Interview

There was one interview. It is pretty straight forward and questions are very manageable. I believe what they are trying to measure is your personality fit and not so much the academic one.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions about experiences and education. Followed-up with them after the interview and again a week later as I had not yet heard anything. About a month after I had my interview I checked my status on JAC and noticed that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions

• What thoughts do you have on the future recruitment for our school?   Answer Question

Interview

Got the interview opportunity after the resume was pre-screened. Most questions asked in the interview were very technical and closely related to the computer languages I listed on my resume. There are seldom behavioral questions asked.

Interview Questions

• Probablity: what is the probablity to pick up a pair of socks when choosing two socks from two red and two black socks? SQL: how to create index and do index search. What is the problem when using index with large dataset?   Answer Question

Internship In Building Community Interview

Interview

A very smooth process- I sent in my application and a few weeks later got an email scheduling the interview. The interview was more of an informal conversation. Talked about previous experiences working with high schoolers, summer camps, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you encourage high schoolers to meet new groups of people?   Answer Question

Work Study Intrn Interview

Interview

i just had to fill out forms and be a student in the program

Interview Questions

Negotiation

i just had to fill out government documentation

Interview

This was a first interview - I'd been referred by a recruiter for intermediate- to senior-level architect position. Met with an Associate, it turned out that we'd worked at similar offices - but at different times. It was a good, brief & informative interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you've worked on....   1 Answer

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Went from temp to perm. Interview was basic questions, nothing complicated. But I guess it depends on the department. My department was new and I was fresh out of college