Columbia University Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 1, 2014
97 interviews

2.5

Various Research Positions Interview

I've interviewed for four positions at Columbia in the last year and none of them were particularly great experiences.

Interview #1 - hiring manager asked typical interview questions and was extremely rude (even more so on the phone, I shouldn't have bothered with an in-person interview). Then she introduced me to various team members and they were all very awkward and disengaged. I was never contacted again, but HR website said the position was filled. Then it was relisted a few months later. It sounded like a high turnover job and I wasn't surprised.

Interview #2- an admittedly bad fit. It was just obvious. People were nice though and I received a polite rejection email a week or so later.

Interview #3- met with a very nice departmental administrator and was told second interviews would be conducted in another month. That was 6 months ago and I never heard anything else, although according to HR the position is still open.

Interview #4- met with former person in the position (who was promoted) and departmental administrator. The first person was nice and answered questions and we had a nice conversation. She gave me a good sense of the job. The departmental administrator was a total jerk. He barked at me when I wouldn't answer my salary requirements (I said I was open to hearing their range) and kept asking me in different ways. If he hadn't been so persistent I would have probably just told him, but I found him to be really rude. Then he asked a bunch of extremely negative behavioral questions that were just bizarre. At the end he said he would have a sense within a few weeks what 'direction they would be going in,' and whether they would need to repost the position and get more candidates. Uh… I guess that was my rejection because I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • Negative behavioral questions- i.e. tell me about dealing with difficult people, times you've faced adversity, etc.   Answer Question

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions about experiences and education. Followed-up with them after the interview and again a week later as I had not yet heard anything. About a month after I had my interview I checked my status on JAC and noticed that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • What thoughts do you have on the future recruitment for our school?   Answer Question

Business School Research Coordinator Interview

Got the interview opportunity after the resume was pre-screened. Most questions asked in the interview were very technical and closely related to the computer languages I listed on my resume. There are seldom behavioral questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Probablity: what is the probablity to pick up a pair of socks when choosing two socks from two red and two black socks?
      SQL: how to create index and do index search. What is the problem when using index with large dataset?
        Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Columbia University.

I'm new to interview. I interviewed with Microsoft and Google. Microsoft just asked me some basic questions like "tell me your project experience" "what technology you are interested in recently". While google has two phone interview. Mostly about algorithm.

Data Manager Interview

Received an email from HR rep asking to arrange an in-person interview. In-person interview with hiring manager (lasted about 1 hours) and then an in-person interview with epidemiologist. Hiring manager requested 2-3 references (all professional references)

Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in February 2013.

Phone interview, then a series of 4 in-person interviews, Final round interview in person. Standard process used by a lot of corporates but with open communication with an HR contact who is no longer there.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly, there were none. The questions were not that creative or challenging.   Answer Question
    They were open and up front about the range. They offered a few thousand dollars above the initial "high point" and I accepted.

Coordinator Interview

the lucky few get follow up interviews to ensure they are a good fit. the unfortunate get selected blindly and may get stuck with a horrible manager.

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University.

I got the job through a former professor who appreciated my work. The hiring and interview process was very lax, and because I was hourly, it was not a big deal about how much or where I worked.

not applicable

Research Assistant Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Applied through the Columbia website and interviewed with senior management. The interview process was easy, but rather long time between interview and actual hiring

Interview Questions
    • How can you contribute to the work of NCDP in a unique and meaningful way?   Answer Question
    No negotiating. There is a set budget and that's what they work with. Straight forward

Assistant Director Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

It's all about personal connections. If you know the research and the interests of the director, and you are able to meet him/her beforehand, then they will contact you when they need someone.

non-existent.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!