Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.6

Client Solutions Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

Not formal, needs a SOP fast. Depending on which HR Rep you get, it could be a good onboarding process or half done. I interviewed for one position and on day one, I was told it didn't exist and a new position was created.

Library Specialist I Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Columbia University.

The interview went well and the interviewer was not only helpful on breaking down the fact that Columbia University departments are not centralized directly to Human Resources. Meaning that the individual departments have their own choice on new hires and human resources does not pick the candidates. When you are sending your resume it goes directly to a department first and then to human resources.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Columbia University.

Contacted the PI of the lab. He was not responsive after a week so sent follow up email, which was responded to promptly. Had one tour of the lab talking with graduate students and one interview with the PI. The tour was very informative and friendly and interview was informal.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly asked about my previous research experience and why I was interested in his research topic.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

Went from temp to perm. Interview was basic questions, nothing complicated. But I guess it depends on the department. My department was new and I was fresh out of college

Business Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

straight forward process- was emailed to schedule an interview. Interview had standard questions. Was interviewed by 4 people and they were very polite and straight forward. Interview lasted aboiut 30 mins after which I was told to wait outside and was introduced to two other staff members. one of the staff members then gave me a tour of the floor.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

two online assessment tests. One is coding test, the other is sort of logical test. Two question for coding test. The first one is that given a string, delete all 'a,e,i,o,u', and return the new string. the second one is that given two string, check if one is the other's rotation. "cdefab" is the rotation of “abcdef" the logic test is hard to describe, but I suggest you to convert all a-z to 1-26 as a list and have that list at hands when you are doing the test.

Grading and Cirriculum Assistant Interview

Interviews are with professors who you will be working for, so they will vary greatly. For example I was hired off of my resume, there was no interview process. Though others who had interviews say they generally focus on technical skills, previous experience, and knowledge of the topic that will be taught in the class.

Business School - Client Development Role Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in September 2014.

I went through the traditional 3 rounds of interviews for this role: phone interview, first in person with potential boss; second interview with potential boss' boss; third interview with 3 team members. I applied online to a posting that was about 10 days old, and got my first contact from them about a week later. The next 2 interviews came fairly close together (4-7 days apart each). I sent references after the second. I was told I was one of three finalists and after 9 days, I had to ask for an update. The reply from the hiring manager took 4 days- never a good sign. They "considered me very seriously", but offered it to another person who was a better match and thanked me for coming in 3 times. The HM and I had different styles, so it was probably just as well I didn't get the role.

Interview Questions
    • The most awkward question was what three things would you do in the first 60 days, when my potential peers were in the room. They were not currently doing my suggested activities, which made them look a bit bad and created an awkward moment.   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

I made three separate trips to campus, and interviewed with six people combined. I also completed a test assignment (not terribly challenging). I not once met an HR representative, and still (after having worked here for two months) have not met her. Everyone along the interview process was kind, understanding, and personable. Onboarding is ridiculous, but that's another story.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on salary and on title, and was successful in both areas.

Data Manager Interview

Received an email from HR rep asking to arrange an in-person interview. In-person interview with hiring manager (lasted about 1 hours) and then an in-person interview with epidemiologist. Hiring manager requested 2-3 references (all professional references)