Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Apr 6, 2015
Updated Apr 6, 2015

2.6

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Interview

Applied online by submitting academic CV. Then got a call from a senior professor in the department and an on-site presentation/interview was scheduled. I was expected to give 1 50-mi talk on my PhD dissertation and was asked a lot of questions about the research findings and field in general.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in particular. Got grilled on my own research and thesis so I did not find anything particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salary is fixed by NIH

Private Wealth Management, Summer Internshp Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

First two rounds are phone interview, the interviewer basically asked me to describe items on my resume.
    In the first interview, I am asked about easy statistics concept such as standard variation and regression. I passed the first two and is going to take a more technical interview in the third round.

Interview Questions

• First round: Standard Deviation, Regression, all very simple statistics questions
      Second round: elaborate items on your resumes--> Know your resume well!!

Answer Question

Client Solutions Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Not formal, needs a SOP fast. Depending on which HR Rep you get, it could be a good onboarding process or half done. I interviewed for one position and on day one, I was told it didn't exist and a new position was created.

Library Specialist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

The interview went well and the interviewer was not only helpful on breaking down the fact that Columbia University departments are not centralized directly to Human Resources. Meaning that the individual departments have their own choice on new hires and human resources does not pick the candidates. When you are sending your resume it goes directly to a department first and then to human resources.

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Contacted the PI of the lab. He was not responsive after a week so sent follow up email, which was responded to promptly. Had one tour of the lab talking with graduate students and one interview with the PI. The tour was very informative and friendly and interview was informal.

Interview Questions

• Mostly asked about my previous research experience and why I was interested in his research topic.   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Went from temp to perm. Interview was basic questions, nothing complicated. But I guess it depends on the department. My department was new and I was fresh out of college

Business Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

straight forward process- was emailed to schedule an interview. Interview had standard questions. Was interviewed by 4 people and they were very polite and straight forward. Interview lasted aboiut 30 mins after which I was told to wait outside and was introduced to two other staff members. one of the staff members then gave me a tour of the floor.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

two online assessment tests. One is coding test, the other is sort of logical test. Two question for coding test. The first one is that given a string, delete all 'a,e,i,o,u', and return the new string. the second one is that given two string, check if one is the other's rotation. "cdefab" is the rotation of “abcdef" the logic test is hard to describe, but I suggest you to convert all a-z to 1-26 as a list and have that list at hands when you are doing the test.

Grading and Cirriculum Assistant Interview

Interview

Interviews are with professors who you will be working for, so they will vary greatly. For example I was hired off of my resume, there was no interview process. Though others who had interviews say they generally focus on technical skills, previous experience, and knowledge of the topic that will be taught in the class.

Business School - Client Development Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in September 2014.

Interview

I went through the traditional 3 rounds of interviews for this role: phone interview, first in person with potential boss; second interview with potential boss' boss; third interview with 3 team members. I applied online to a posting that was about 10 days old, and got my first contact from them about a week later. The next 2 interviews came fairly close together (4-7 days apart each). I sent references after the second. I was told I was one of three finalists and after 9 days, I had to ask for an update. The reply from the hiring manager took 4 days- never a good sign. They "considered me very seriously", but offered it to another person who was a better match and thanked me for coming in 3 times. The HM and I had different styles, so it was probably just as well I didn't get the role.

Interview Questions

• The most awkward question was what three things would you do in the first 60 days, when my potential peers were in the room. They were not currently doing my suggested activities, which made them look a bit bad and created an awkward moment.   1 Answer