Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.7

Assistant Manager, Welcome Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Was called initially in January 2015 for a phone interview. Heard nothing back and even sent a follow-up email two weeks later to hear back later in February it was filled. Was later called in March to come in for a f2f interview with same lady who said it was filled. Met with her and another lady the same day and had another interview that next week with the team I would have been working under. Heard nothing for almost three weeks. Finally got an email saying I was not selected. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What can you contribute? Strengths & weaknesses?   Answer Question

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied and I heard from the months later but after that things moved a little faster. There was a background check I was a little disappointed that my went so fast I took it to mean that my background was kind of dull

Interview Questions

• There was questions about my prior work experience and whether I thought I would like working in that type of environment   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was more than happy with the offer so I didn't bother

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Interview

I send a letter and my resume to the PI saying that I would love to join the group. Got some friendly answer so I went to new york to meet in person. Interview was rather informal, just a short chat with the PI and lunch with the rest of the group.

Interview Questions

• Do you want to stay in academia?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

I applied online and received an interview a few weeks later. I had a phone interview which lasted about half an hour, and then a week later had an in-person interview. Pretty normal procedure and the basic behavioral interview questions.

Interview Questions

• What is something you wished we asked you in the first interview?   Answer Question

Career Counselor Interview

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

Responded to an ad, the director called to schedue an interview. She asked three generic questions that did not have much to do with the actual job, and then said thanks for coming. I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. I'm not sure why they called me for an interview.

Interview Questions

Interview

This was a first interview - I'd been referred by a recruiter for intermediate- to senior-level architect position. Met with an Associate, it turned out that we'd worked at similar offices - but at different times. It was a good, brief & informative interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me about what you've worked on....   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Columbia University in January 2015.

Interview

After a 5 hour interview it seemed like everything went well and they even went on to ask me about salary requirements and starting dates. Following the interview, about 2 days later, they sent me an email asking about 7 different managerial level questions completely unrelated to the position they were offering. In the email, they mentioned that they are still in the interviewing-process and that they will get back to me about my candidature within 3 business days. A week later, after no response, I was forced to reach-out myself and ask them about updates after which they notified me about that the fact that they have found a better suiting candidate.

Overall experience: Extremely unprofessional and a complete waste of time and anticipation.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach moving away from .NET towards a newer technology? For example Javascript.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

After submitting my application I went through two interviews. The first was a phone screening and the second was an in person interview. The interview was essentially a conversation about social media and the ways that I have gained experience in this area.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to explain the ways in which I felt various Columbia properties could expand to new social media platforms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered the maximum salary for the position.

Associate Research Scientist Interview

Interview

Applied online by submitting academic CV. Then got a call from a senior professor in the department and an on-site presentation/interview was scheduled. I was expected to give 1 50-mi talk on my PhD dissertation and was asked a lot of questions about the research findings and field in general.

Interview Questions

• Nothing in particular. Got grilled on my own research and thesis so I did not find anything particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. Salary is fixed by NIH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview

First two rounds are phone interview, the interviewer basically asked me to describe items on my resume.
    In the first interview, I am asked about easy statistics concept such as standard variation and regression. I passed the first two and is going to take a more technical interview in the third round.

Interview Questions

• First round: Standard Deviation, Regression, all very simple statistics questions
      Second round: elaborate items on your resumes--> Know your resume well!!

Answer Question