Columbia University

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Postdoctoral Research Scientist
New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – The interview took one entire day plus dinner. I presented a 30 minutes talk of my former work.
Afterwards I talked to everybody in the lab. The whole process was very intense, but very informal. There were no unexpected questions.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2009.

Interview Details – It helps to know someone in the process because of the sheer volume of applications for each position - thought not a requirement. Good to know Columbia system lingo.

Interview Question – Do you know how to use ______ system?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Cut, dry and fast.

Undergraduate Student Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Columbia University in December 2011.

Interview Details – long term academic success, diverse extracurricular activities for equally long period (all must be long term, it shows commitment), good common app essay. Interview was chill, it was more of a test to see if you are smart but still approachable.

Interview Question – None, it was an evaluation of intellect and conversation. If you can sustain an intellectual conversation   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – you get a letter. you say yes.

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – Interviewed by Program Coordinator and an Associate Director for a position to support a research center, the staff including the Director, and student employees/interns. Questions regarded the multi-faceted position, which also included errands and basic research (online / library). It was a 1 day process and I heard back within a week.

Interview Question – Not difficult at all. Asked about my interest in political science and social research. Very engaging experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in March 2009.

Interview Details – I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview. I really don't think this is necessary but here it is. Great interview.

Negotiation Details – Hard

Librarian Interview

Librarian
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in September 2012.

Interview Details – Apply through email, three rounds of interview

Interview Question – former experience, resume experience in details   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I heard about the position through an alumni newletter. An alumnus had the position and would be leaving. I contacted that person and then submitted resume and cover letter to the hiring manager. It was a 1:1 interview with the HM. The interview was mostly focused on my experience and skills. There was only 1 situational question. Sent thank you. Heard back by the end of the week that I was being offered the position.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would handle a patient with behavioral issues, having an outburst.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable. The RA position has a set range, which is small. I was automatically offered a salary per their criteria.

Publicity Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly straightforward; I was asked some questions about my activities at school, my interest in literature (specifically the type of academic literature that they publish), my academic interests, and my interest in the company. Previous experience in publicity was discussed as well. One interview in person, no tests, some email correspondence. Response came within a week.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – If you are hired internally, you will always have preference. Slowly gutting benefits packages. Retirement (slashed) and tuition (only 2 classes a year comped now, not free ride for programs as before) not what they were two years ago.

Interview Question – "Are you an assh*le?" First question, no kidding.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered 6K more than the minimum. No negotiation, stayed a year, transferred laterally.

At Teachers College, Support Position Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview, and a promise made to come in-person; then, was asked for references (phone numbers, email)...references were contacted for on phone interviews. Was able to discuss with one of my references what was asked; interviewer kept pressing them to say something negative about me..was then contacted by the interviewer and told they were going with another candidate; then had to tell my references I was not hired...which I'm afraid now makes them wonder why, which may hurt in future job interview situations. Also, the interviewer was puzzled why I wanted to get a more advanced position.

Interview Question – Discussing why I want to change jobs...it seems, if you have a job, it is not understood why you want to leave; if you don't, it is wondered why you do not...   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Columbia University