Columbia University

Updated Dec 18, 2014

2.5

MAINTENANCE/PORTER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

I was on time or before time. Dress well. Have all my document, certificate and resume. Never left the reception area without letting then now where I was going, just incase they ask or call you while you are not present.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done during your time unemployed?   View Answer
    Very fast, easy and educational

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Columbia University.

I heard about the position through an alumni newletter. An alumnus had the position and would be leaving. I contacted that person and then submitted resume and cover letter to the hiring manager. It was a 1:1 interview with the HM. The interview was mostly focused on my experience and skills. There was only 1 situational question. Sent thank you. Heard back by the end of the week that I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would handle a patient with behavioral issues, having an outburst.   Answer Question
    Not applicable. The RA position has a set range, which is small. I was automatically offered a salary per their criteria.

Publicity Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Columbia University.

The interview was fairly straightforward; I was asked some questions about my activities at school, my interest in literature (specifically the type of academic literature that they publish), my academic interests, and my interest in the company. Previous experience in publicity was discussed as well. One interview in person, no tests, some email correspondence. Response came within a week.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

If you are hired internally, you will always have preference. Slowly gutting benefits packages. Retirement (slashed) and tuition (only 2 classes a year comped now, not free ride for programs as before) not what they were two years ago.

Interview Questions
    • "Are you an assh*le?" First question, no kidding.   View Answer
    They offered 6K more than the minimum. No negotiation, stayed a year, transferred laterally.

At Teachers College, Support Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

I had one phone interview, and a promise made to come in-person; then, was asked for references (phone numbers, email)...references were contacted for on phone interviews. Was able to discuss with one of my references what was asked; interviewer kept pressing them to say something negative about me..was then contacted by the interviewer and told they were going with another candidate; then had to tell my references I was not hired...which I'm afraid now makes them wonder why, which may hurt in future job interview situations. Also, the interviewer was puzzled why I wanted to get a more advanced position.

Interview Questions
    • Discussing why I want to change jobs...it seems, if you have a job, it is not understood why you want to leave; if you don't, it is wondered why you do not...   View Answer

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Columbia University in August 2013.

I got an interview invitation within a day after I submitted my application. The first stage of the interview was with a fellow post-doc. It was very lengthy (an hour and half) and we discussed also very technical details of my knowledge of the specific subject and of the work I will be doing. The second stage was with the PI, I gave a presentation, it was liked very much and interrupted halfway.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked my family status, and whether they need to do something about the 2body problem. (Vary positive but it came out of the blue for me)   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interviews with professors, no transparency. There is no true bar or a way to tell who gets accepted

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Columbia University.

I applied online and then received a call for a face to face interview. The interview was pretty usual with most questions pertaining to past experiences. After which I met with the Phd candidates working in the lab. I was offered the position in a week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions from what I can recall, but be prepared for any technical questions they might ask from your resume   Answer Question
    I could not negotiate further than the base package

Input Control Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Columbia University.

Was invited to formally apply by someone promoted out of the job. Education and professional maturity were the main qualifications of interest. Request to interview in the office came promptly. I spoke to one senior and two junior supervisors about my fit for the role. I received an offer the same week.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked what skills or experience would help me manage student worker teams.   Answer Question
    Compensation was set without room to negotiate.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

Interviewer was nice, asked basic questions about experiences and education. Followed-up with them after the interview and again a week later as I had not yet heard anything. About a month after I had my interview I checked my status on JAC and noticed that the position had been filled.

Interview Questions
    • What thoughts do you have on the future recruitment for our school?   Answer Question