Columbia University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Librarian Interview

Librarian
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in September 2012.

Interview Details – Apply through email, three rounds of interview

Interview Question – former experience, resume experience in details   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I heard about the position through an alumni newletter. An alumnus had the position and would be leaving. I contacted that person and then submitted resume and cover letter to the hiring manager. It was a 1:1 interview with the HM. The interview was mostly focused on my experience and skills. There was only 1 situational question. Sent thank you. Heard back by the end of the week that I was being offered the position.

Interview Question – I was asked how I would handle a patient with behavioral issues, having an outburst.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not applicable. The RA position has a set range, which is small. I was automatically offered a salary per their criteria.

Publicity Intern Interview

Publicity Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly straightforward; I was asked some questions about my activities at school, my interest in literature (specifically the type of academic literature that they publish), my academic interests, and my interest in the company. Previous experience in publicity was discussed as well. One interview in person, no tests, some email correspondence. Response came within a week.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – If you are hired internally, you will always have preference. Slowly gutting benefits packages. Retirement (slashed) and tuition (only 2 classes a year comped now, not free ride for programs as before) not what they were two years ago.

Interview Question – "Are you an assh*le?" First question, no kidding.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered 6K more than the minimum. No negotiation, stayed a year, transferred laterally.

At Teachers College, Support Position Interview

At Teachers College, Support Position

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview, and a promise made to come in-person; then, was asked for references (phone numbers, email)...references were contacted for on phone interviews. Was able to discuss with one of my references what was asked; interviewer kept pressing them to say something negative about me..was then contacted by the interviewer and told they were going with another candidate; then had to tell my references I was not hired...which I'm afraid now makes them wonder why, which may hurt in future job interview situations. Also, the interviewer was puzzled why I wanted to get a more advanced position.

Interview Question – Discussing why I want to change jobs...it seems, if you have a job, it is not understood why you want to leave; if you don't, it is wondered why you do not...   View Answer

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Postdoctoral Research Scientist
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Columbia University in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got an interview invitation within a day after I submitted my application. The first stage of the interview was with a fellow post-doc. It was very lengthy (an hour and half) and we discussed also very technical details of my knowledge of the specific subject and of the work I will be doing. The second stage was with the PI, I gave a presentation, it was liked very much and interrupted halfway.

Interview Question – I was asked my family status, and whether they need to do something about the 2body problem. (Vary positive but it came out of the blue for me)   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Applications Systems Developer Interview

Applications Systems Developer
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied via the jobs website and heard back from an internal recruiter soon after. I had a phone interview and was asked basic questions related to database queries (find duplicates in a large table, join types, indexes, etc.) and basic Java (collections API mainly). The questions were pretty easy, and it would have been trivial to google for answers during the screen.

After the phone screen was an in-person interview with the team manager and a senior developer. I was asked basic OOP questions (mainly in Java) which were again not too tricky. Anyone with a degree in CS should not have trouble with these questions.

Interview Question – Honestly, none of them were difficult. The one about finding duplicates in a table with many many rows came close, but it was ultimately not very hard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one,

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online at internships.com; got a call a couple of weeks later; very difficult interview, with probing questions and case questions.

Interview Question – How many Ferraris are being driven in New York City right now.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Columbia University in March 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone, as I was living in the UK at the time. I already knew the people as we are in the same field. Two principal investigators spoke with me for about an hour. It was low-key, since we'd already informally agreed to the position.

Interview Question – We reviewed a published paper of mine, and I had to explain it in detail.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screening followed by in person interview with hiring committee, then an all-staff interview. Finally, phone interview with the Dean.

Interview Question – Sitting before the entire staff to answer their questions was daunting.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation opportunities very minimal