Columbia University Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015
Updated Mar 8, 2015

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Columbia University.

Applied for part-time developer in CUIT. Sent a email with resume and got replied in 2 business days. Then got a onsite interview with some of their development team. People are nice.

Interview Questions
    • No coding questions. Asked something about projects and some SQL questions.   Answer Question

CUIT Part-time Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Columbia University.

I'm a graduate student in Computer Science in Columbia University. I applied the job of CUIT part-time tech developer in 2014. It was an unexpected interview and I was badly prepared for that.
     The interview mainly focus on the past experience for the projects. And something with the database management. So for about the SQL grammar.

Research Technician B Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University in February 2014.

Had four interviews. Asked mostly about my research history. First few rounds were very personal and comfortable. Showed me the lab and discussed the research they were doing. Were concerned primarily about work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were not very difficult. Most difficult question was whether or not I felt like I was a good candidate for md/phd programs.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

Application Process: Reach out to the prospective professor(s) to determine funding availability and if there is a place for you. If you have a strong interest and are able to conceive of a possible proposal so much the better but this amount of experience in an applicant is rare. Needless to say anyone with NSF or other independent funding is a shoe-in.

As far as I know acceptance is finally determined by a vote of the faculty of the particular department. The culture of the university is heavily academically nepotistic, in that faculty tend to favor students from schools with a long history of Columbia association, usually with emphasis on association with that particular department's collaborative partner schools.

Acceptance is primary driven by: undergraduate school reputation and strength of recommendations. GPA is used as a minimum bar(typically >3.5). Past experience and your willingness to participate in ongoing research (perhaps not what you'd exactly like to do) and the faculty's awareness of your interest count for a lot. Many beginning doctoral acceptees are 24-26 and have work experience/specific well-aligned research interests.

A word about differences in the program from other schools:

One year to study for your qualifier exam instead of two. No preassigned research rotations, go looking early for a research adviser. Focus is on getting you to the research part fast.

Interview Questions
    There is none. Pay is fixed by the department for all students for the first year. Thereafter you're adviser's grant determines your salary. It tends not to vary much.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

Landed the interview through a staffing agency. Asked to come into the office for an interview. The office was small but nice and was greeted in a very pleasant manner. When the interview had started, the interviewer was very nice and eager to continue with the process. She asked fairy common questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

I applied through the Jobs at Columbia (JAC) website, but also went into the office that was hiring, just to visit. It turned out it was pretty slow that afternoon and I got to meet and talk with the assistant director who had posted the job. I told him I'd applied for the position there and we got to talk informally about my interest in the job and what the office did. That visit, I believe, is what help set me apart from the other roughly 100 applicants they had for the position. I received an email for an interview maybe a week later.

Interview Questions
    • It was a very easy interview, but what helped was that a certain rapport had already been established with the assistant director during that first visit. It also helped that my qualifications were (thankfully) a very close match with what they were seeking.   Answer Question
    From the time to accepting the position and beginning my first day took about 2-3 weeks, but it was due to navigating through the human resources red-tape that slowed the process. The negotiation process was straight forward due to the pay grade system Columbia works under, and I was offered the highest in the grade range.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

The interview took one entire day plus dinner. I presented a 30 minutes talk of my former work.
    Afterwards I talked to everybody in the lab. The whole process was very intense, but very informal. There were no unexpected questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interviewed by Program Coordinator and an Associate Director for a position to support a research center, the staff including the Director, and student employees/interns. Questions regarded the multi-faceted position, which also included errands and basic research (online / library). It was a 1 day process and I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult at all. Asked about my interest in political science and social research. Very engaging experience.   Answer Question
    none

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

First stage: Phone interview with HR, which includes a salary screen. I didn't fit in their range and they told me so and told me what the ceiling for the position is. We agreed to proceed.

Second stage: An interview with HR and the head of the research team (1/2 hr), followed by a 1/2 hr with an associate director. The HR and head of the team created a good impression on me. They asked general questions about my current work and said little about what skills are needed for the position. That made it tough to show them that I have the skills needed.

The associate director was a little strange. He was newly promoted and had no interviewing skills. Appeared unable to describe the company culture and his management style.

The time limits of both parts of the interview were enforced strictly; they actually cut me off to say we are out of time.

There was zero follow-up on their part, although they promised they will be in touch in "a couple of weeks." After a while, the HR person wrote to me that "we are still recruiting." No closure.

Interview Questions
    • Frankly, the most unexpected part was how little they asked me.   Answer Question

MAINTENANCE/PORTER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

I was on time or before time. Dress well. Have all my document, certificate and resume. Never left the reception area without letting then now where I was going, just incase they ask or call you while you are not present.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done during your time unemployed?   View Answer
    Very fast, easy and educational