Columbia University Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.6

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Submit resume and email back and forth and waiting for their response. The pay is not well, it just used their student for free, you know. It hard to talk more about it since there is not really thing to talk.

Graduate Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

i got an email to set up an interview time. they tell you who to expect in the group interview. then at the in-person group interview, the whole process lasted about 30 - 45 minutes with plenty of time to ask them questions. there was a follow-up email telling you the interview result

Post Doctoral Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

I was flown in, gave my presentation and then immediately offered a job and certain perks that I was surprised to be offered. Nonetheless, I made the mistake of not having them in writing. Lesson learnt. Then i met with colleagues one-by one and we discussed potential projects. the next day I left.

Interview Questions

• About my research, inside out.   1 Answer

Bioinformatics Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I met with the members of the lab. They were all fantastic. I would have taken a pay cut to work with this group. The Hammer Health Sciences building, however, is just atrocious. The floors were sticky, the ceilings were low. The ventilation was poor. The elevators were slow. Every inch of lab and office space was occupied and the hallways were used for storage. The drinking fountains were shut off from what I understand was some kind of Listeria contamination. The Soviet-style classroom they had reserved for my talk was occupied by some undergraduate who was studying. She refused to leave. I honestly don't see how they can attract top-notch talent until they improve these facilities substantially. Given this and the astronomical house prices in New York I wasn't willing to work on-site more than 2 days a week, which was (understandably) not acceptable to the director.

Interview Questions

• How many exomes do you sequence a week?   1 Answer

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email to schedule a phone interview with the Assistant Dean of the Department. The phone interview was great. I was called in for a face to face interview with the department which took 3 hours. I met with the hiring manager and other members. The kept asking me the same question over and over again which I felt was a lack of communication among each other with preparation. They didn't read my resume prior, however they had them printed and were asking me questions that could of been answered by simply looking at my resume. I didn't hear back from them for two weeks until I emailed the Assistant Dean as a follow up, finally the hiring manager emailed me with a response that they picked another person. I felt the interview was great but I personally don't think I would have fit in with that department. Some were friendly, while others were nonchalant, which made me feel fraught about the department interaction.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your interaction with faculty members? Did you have any experience with faculty interaction? How do you organize for an event?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screen, in person interview with recruiter, then senior staff member, good probing questions. The good thing about this was that although I didn't get the job, the recruiter contacted me really quickly to let me know I was not moving on to the next step, many companies let you hang for a long time or never contact you so you don't know. On the downside, I always ask 'what could I do better?' in the interview, I did not get a response. I know it's a lot to ask, but if you're a dedicated recruiter, that's your job.

Interview Questions

• What one thing in your current job are you most proud of?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Direct, concise and down to the point regarding what they wanted to get out of me as a worker and the responsibilities that I had to commit to. They explained very carefully the nature of the job and the traditions behind it and how they combine with modern technology to make the best out of both worlds. Very specific in the benefits that the school offers, like full tuition cover after two years of being fully employed and what it implies for the future commitments that benefit encloses.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think Columbia University would be placed among the top ranked institutions and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not really much range of negotiation. They were clear what they could offer for this position and If I was willing to take it or not. Very generous for starters, so that made the negotiation unnecessary.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Simple questions on work experiences and goals. Talked about why I want to research at columbia. Laid back but the interviewer seem distracted. They were disorganized. They were 2+ hours late to the scheduled interview.

Interview Questions

• What were your work experiences and what are your goals few years from now. What were the lab techniques.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I was brought in for a brief interview with what would later become my direct supervisor. There were a few questions about my resume and what some of the technical things on it were. It was very casual. This was only for a temp job, so I imagine it wasn't as official as a permanent hire interview would have been. The interviewer was very pleasant although it was in their office which was a little cramped and shared by a person not involved in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work the occasional Saturday?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager, Welcome Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Columbia University (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Was called initially in January 2015 for a phone interview. Heard nothing back and even sent a follow-up email two weeks later to hear back later in February it was filled. Was later called in March to come in for a f2f interview with same lady who said it was filled. Met with her and another lady the same day and had another interview that next week with the team I would have been working under. Heard nothing for almost three weeks. Finally got an email saying I was not selected. Very disappointing.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What can you contribute? Strengths & weaknesses?   Answer Question