Columbia University Interview Questions in New York, NY

2.6

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

I made three separate trips to campus, and interviewed with six people combined. I also completed a test assignment (not terribly challenging). I not once met an HR representative, and still (after having worked here for two months) have not met her. Everyone along the interview process was kind, understanding, and personable. Onboarding is ridiculous, but that's another story.

Interview Questions
    I negotiated on salary and on title, and was successful in both areas.

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change.

I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Questions
    • It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Columbia University.

Must apply via online system, however, system is cumbersome therefore it also makes sense to reach out directly to those hiring.

Interview Questions
    • We've talked about the positives regarding bringing you on board, what is the bad news when it comes to you?   Answer Question
    Was asked for a range.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University.

The interview took one entire day plus dinner. I presented a 30 minutes talk of my former work.
    Afterwards I talked to everybody in the lab. The whole process was very intense, but very informal. There were no unexpected questions.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Columbia University.

Interviewed by Program Coordinator and an Associate Director for a position to support a research center, the staff including the Director, and student employees/interns. Questions regarded the multi-faceted position, which also included errands and basic research (online / library). It was a 1 day process and I heard back within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult at all. Asked about my interest in political science and social research. Very engaging experience.   Answer Question
    none

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

First stage: Phone interview with HR, which includes a salary screen. I didn't fit in their range and they told me so and told me what the ceiling for the position is. We agreed to proceed.

Second stage: An interview with HR and the head of the research team (1/2 hr), followed by a 1/2 hr with an associate director. The HR and head of the team created a good impression on me. They asked general questions about my current work and said little about what skills are needed for the position. That made it tough to show them that I have the skills needed.

The associate director was a little strange. He was newly promoted and had no interviewing skills. Appeared unable to describe the company culture and his management style.

The time limits of both parts of the interview were enforced strictly; they actually cut me off to say we are out of time.

There was zero follow-up on their part, although they promised they will be in touch in "a couple of weeks." After a while, the HR person wrote to me that "we are still recruiting." No closure.

Interview Questions
    • Frankly, the most unexpected part was how little they asked me.   Answer Question

MAINTENANCE/PORTER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

I was on time or before time. Dress well. Have all my document, certificate and resume. Never left the reception area without letting then now where I was going, just incase they ask or call you while you are not present.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done during your time unemployed?   View Answer
    Very fast, easy and educational

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Columbia University.

I heard about the position through an alumni newletter. An alumnus had the position and would be leaving. I contacted that person and then submitted resume and cover letter to the hiring manager. It was a 1:1 interview with the HM. The interview was mostly focused on my experience and skills. There was only 1 situational question. Sent thank you. Heard back by the end of the week that I was being offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked how I would handle a patient with behavioral issues, having an outburst.   Answer Question
    Not applicable. The RA position has a set range, which is small. I was automatically offered a salary per their criteria.

Publicity Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Columbia University.

The interview was fairly straightforward; I was asked some questions about my activities at school, my interest in literature (specifically the type of academic literature that they publish), my academic interests, and my interest in the company. Previous experience in publicity was discussed as well. One interview in person, no tests, some email correspondence. Response came within a week.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Columbia University.

If you are hired internally, you will always have preference. Slowly gutting benefits packages. Retirement (slashed) and tuition (only 2 classes a year comped now, not free ride for programs as before) not what they were two years ago.

Interview Questions
    • "Are you an assh*le?" First question, no kidding.   View Answer
    They offered 6K more than the minimum. No negotiation, stayed a year, transferred laterally.