Columbia University Interview Questions & Reviews in New York State

2.5

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

MAINTENANCE/PORTER Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

I was on time or before time. Dress well. Have all my document, certificate and resume. Never left the reception area without letting then now where I was going, just incase they ask or call you while you are not present.

Interview Questions
    • What have you done during your time unemployed?   View Answer
    Very fast, easy and educational

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Columbia University.

Columbia's hiring is driven by their website system and it can be hard to get an interview. Look carefully at the job posting date to be sure they are actively recruiting for a role. Some openings seem to be posted, yet inactive. One attraction is that many people I encountered had moved from very different departments. So there is an opportunity to move and get new experiences, while maintaining the same employer.

Interview Questions
    • They asked all of the traditional questions, but did not provide a lot of insights into benefits, work life balance, etc.   Answer Question

Manager of Marketing Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Columbia University.

The position was to manage digital marketing initiatives for the Business School. Applied in July and got a call and phone interview in September. ( you can imagine I'd nearly forgotten about it by this time) After the phone interview it was requested I provide a design solution to a current challenge under a constricting deadline. From this I flew in for an in-perosn interview in October. By then the position title and responsibilities had changed a bit. Hiring here can take a looong time as most legacy institutions have long processes for inducing any sort of change.

I stayed in touch with hiring contacts through November and was offered the position in December. Once paperwork got going I relocated to the city in January with a start date towards the end of that month.

Interview Questions
    • It wasnt about questions it was a matter of endurance, I interviewed for a full day 9am-4pm meeting with all levels of the department sometimes individually and other times in teams. in total I met with 7 diff people for 30-45min at a time. I focused on keeping energy positive and engaging- I knew they were testing my stamina.   Answer Question
    Very little room for negotiation with HR manager but the offer was what I desired going in.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Columbia University in January 2010.

The hiring process is sometimes arbitrary, with GRE selection cutoffs. The other most important thing is the recommendations and who they come from. It is really all about who you know and who you've worked with.

Interview Questions
    • This depends on the Professor you are interviewing with, but they will expect you to know and understand their work even if you will not be working with them directly. You may also be expected to have a basic grasp of research methods and statistics.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation, it's a fixed package.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Columbia University.

Must apply via online system, however, system is cumbersome therefore it also makes sense to reach out directly to those hiring.

Interview Questions
    • We've talked about the positives regarding bringing you on board, what is the bad news when it comes to you?   Answer Question
    Was asked for a range.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Columbia University in November 2012.

Phone interview first with SQL questions, then face-to-face with more technical questions related to SQL and coding.

Interview Questions
    • I was expected to show how to populate a table with a header row and data using any programming language. This was done to see if I knew coding concepts and structures.   Answer Question
    I gave them my salary requirement and they met it with no negotiations.

Acceptance Into MBA Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University in November 2012.

After application is accepted, interview is scheduled. The interview follows a standard framework which can be found through online research.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions would be when the interviewer challenges your prior career moves, motivation for wanting to attend,etc. It is important to have you story airtight.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Columbia University in February 2012.

I came into the professor's office, and he and the other professor who is coauthoring the research told me about their project. They described the proposed timeline and the kind of work I would be doing. They accepted me on the spot.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at Columbia University in October 2013.

First stage: Phone interview with HR, which includes a salary screen. I didn't fit in their range and they told me so and told me what the ceiling for the position is. We agreed to proceed.

Second stage: An interview with HR and the head of the research team (1/2 hr), followed by a 1/2 hr with an associate director. The HR and head of the team created a good impression on me. They asked general questions about my current work and said little about what skills are needed for the position. That made it tough to show them that I have the skills needed.

The associate director was a little strange. He was newly promoted and had no interviewing skills. Appeared unable to describe the company culture and his management style.

The time limits of both parts of the interview were enforced strictly; they actually cut me off to say we are out of time.

There was zero follow-up on their part, although they promised they will be in touch in "a couple of weeks." After a while, the HR person wrote to me that "we are still recruiting." No closure.

Interview Questions
    • Frankly, the most unexpected part was how little they asked me.   Answer Question

Career Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University in June 2010.

Email invitation for phone interview; 20-minute phone interview with specific team; second interview day - meet with Dean of the center followed by a presentation (on a career-related topic) to and interview by a group.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions; standard questions about why Columbia, why career counseling, working with challenging students/clients, collaboration.   Answer Question
    No negotiation re: salary.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!