Columbia University
www.columbia.edu New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Scientist Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Nov 25, 2013

Getting the Interview

4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at Columbia University.

Interview Details – The interview took one entire day plus dinner. I presented a 30 minutes talk of my former work.
Afterwards I talked to everybody in the lab. The whole process was very intense, but very informal. There were no unexpected questions.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Columbia University in August 2013.

Interview Details – I got an interview invitation within a day after I submitted my application. The first stage of the interview was with a fellow post-doc. It was very lengthy (an hour and half) and we discussed also very technical details of my knowledge of the specific subject and of the work I will be doing. The second stage was with the PI, I gave a presentation, it was liked very much and interrupted halfway.

Interview Question – I was asked my family status, and whether they need to do something about the 2body problem. (Vary positive but it came out of the blue for me)   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Scientist

The process took a day - interviewed at Columbia University in September 2009.

Interview Details – Slow.

Interview Questions

Postdoctoral Research Scientist

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Columbia University in March 2009.

Interview Details – It was a casual and easy experience. During the first day, I gave a presentation about what I did during my phd, followed by QnA. Then I was assigned to talk to each postdocs in the lab. Especially the ones in the area that I'm interested in. Got home, wrote a thank-you letter to the PI and express that I'm interested in working there. And got invitation of 2nd interview right away. This time I was mainly talking with the group that I will be working in. At the end of the day, the PI has offered me the job!

Interview Question – What do you see yourself in 5 yrs?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Columbia University

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Columbia University Postdoctoral Research Scientist interview questions and advice. All 4 interview reviews posted anonymously by Columbia University employees and interview candidates.