Comerica

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Credit Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Comerica.

Interview Details – Applied online, phone screen, then in-person interview. A recruiter called me from the corporate headquarters and ran through a few basic questions. Mostly it was to explain the job and see if I still wanted it. Then an in person interview with the team I'd be working for.

Interview Question – Walk me through these financial statements.   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Comerica.

Interview Details – First met Comerica at my school's career fair. Got called later that week for an on-campus interview. The individual was in his mid-to-late 20's and was super laid back. He had to ask the "protocol" questions and liked me. The second interview was in their Long Beach office. Multiple candidates were called in that day and we had a quick info session about what the credit analyst position was about. All candidates rotated between 3 people. Behavioral questions were asked by one person; another asked about accounting questions/scenarios; last asked about my experience and personal questions. The environment there was unique. Large floor, but really quiet. As a 22 yr-old, I (personally) wouldn't feel motivated there. It had this dead feeling with huge generation gaps. I guess that's how the corporate banking world is? Not that Comerica is even that big of a bank. The part that told me Comerica wouldn't have been the place for me was when HR (in San Jose) told me I would be informed in several weeks. About a month and a half went by without word. I finally reached back and they called me the next day and informed me I wouldn't go through. The closure was there, but I then realized that for a corporation to drop the ball on simple but important stuff like that was probably not what I was looking for.

Interview Question – The person asking accounting questions. I saw a prior Glassdoor comment about being asked accounting questions and it's true. The position states they want any business major, but this is heavy on accounting (with finance being a must obviously). Don't remember the details, but I remember being asked something like this: if company XYZ does blah-blah for a business and we are to provide them a loan, what are some things we would be concerned about if they bankrupt? Regarding accounting, if we make a change on blah-blah part of the balance sheet, how does that affect the income statement and P&L?

Basically, it was more about accounting than finance and the risk associated on the bank's behalf. I thought it was deceiving for the post to encourage all business majors to apply when you need to have a decent background in accounting. Anyone with no experience in finance or accounting would obviously have a more difficult time versus someone who did.
  Answer Question

Credit Analyst

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Comerica.

Interview Details – Two step process. First a phone screening then in a office interview. Fairly laid back with mostly behavioral type questions and basic accounting principals.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Comerica.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with one or two technical questions about the balance sheet. For the next round I was flown to Houston to meet with the team and go through some more interviews.

Interview Question – What do you know about the credit process   Answer Question

Auburn Hills, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Comerica in August 2012.

Interview Details – Note: I was an internal candidate with credit experience when I applied. First is a phone screening where you will be asked why you want to become a commercial lender and they will assess your basic accounting knowledge. It is probably 40% personality and 60% credit/analysis skills they are looking for. The accounting questions are fairly basic -- i.e. name the parts of a cash flow (operating, investing financing), describe how different financial statements (IS, BS, CF) are connected, what are the 5 Cs of credit and why are they important, etc... They also give you a situation where you are a lender and visiting a prospective borrower and ask you what questions you would ask, what type of loan you would offer, etc.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult financial analysis you completed and walk me through your thought process. Experiences from either school or work are fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will not negotiate salary at all.

Dallas, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Comerica in October 2011.

Interview Details – Asked typical interview questions

Interview Question – What balance sheet and income statement categories would be affecting from different situations: Gave situations such as a negative net income, loss from a sale of asset, capital gain, deferred revenue.   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Comerica in November 2010.

Interview Details – First Round: On-Campus or Telephone Interview, Basic Questions like "Why should we hire you over other candidates?", "If I gave you a set of financial statements, what information would you used to evaluate the financial health of the company" and other behavioral

Second Round: An all day affair consisting of several behavioral interviews with people at different levels, a lunch interview with two other candidates & other interviewers and a technical interview. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, but the technical interviewer was kind of a hard hitter. Questions included using inventory as collateral and a company takes a loan of a million dollars - walk me through how this impacts the Balance Sheet & Income Statement overtime...

Honestly, I'm shocked I didn't get an offer - I wish they provided a little more feedback rather than a form rejection letter. After spending hours there, I feel it's the least they could do...

Interview Question – why should we hire you over the other candidates   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Comerica in July 2010.

Interview Details – The first interview was a fairly easy phone interview: tell me about yourself, why Comerica, etc. The second round was on Friday and consisted of three one-on-one interviews. No technical questions at all, but a lot of behavioral questions: tell me about a situation when you had a personality conflict with one of your group members, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a personality conflict with a boss or co-worker.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Comerica

Interview Details – The initial interview was a phone interview with an HR representative. The questions were fairly basic (Why Comerica? Past jobs, etc) Once the representative was satisfied she informed me that my application would be submitted and a hiring manager would call me to schedule an interview. The next day I received the call and an interview was scheduled with a panel of managers. The questions were fairly basic and also tested your basic accounting skills.

Interview Question – The most difficult question is always the inevitable "Tell me about yourself" question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Credit Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Comerica in October 2010.

Interview Details – Met Comerica at a career fair and scheduled for an interview on the spot.

Interview Question – Tell me about the most difficult accounting or finance related course you have taken   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Comerica

Worked for Comerica? Contribute to the Community!

Comerica – Why Work for Us?

​​Why Comerica Bank?​​ Extraordinary people. Exciting possibilities. Your success is what's next with Comerica. In the highly competitive world of financial services, there's one thing that sets a company apart-its… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Comerica Credit Analyst interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Comerica employees and interview candidates.