CommVault

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.1

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CommVault.

The interview went well but the manager and the position weren't quite as appealing as it seemed in the interview. Possibly due to my over-excitement to join a growing company at the time though it seems that the job description changed between my interview and start date. Hiring process was very long.

They weren't willing to budge on salary but gave me more stock instead (which seemed good when it was $30 higher than it currently is).

Systems Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CommVault in September 2014.

This was my 2nd experience with CommVault. 2 years ago, I was recruited for a position that I was very interested in. The recruiter went silent and after following up, I put it behind. 6 months later, I had a voicemail from the recruiter and was asked if I was still interested. It seemed a bit odd, but I didn't dwell on it.

For the more recent experience, I had email and voicemails from a recruiter who found my LinkedIn profile. Again, the position sounded interesting and I was interested. The following week I had a phone screening and for next steps, phone meetings were set up with the hiring manager, a sales VP and an executive sponsor.

The phone meeting with the hiring manager went well and I was told that I would hear back in a couple of weeks. Most likely, I would be flown to Chicago for a meeting with a "technical" committee.
    A few days later, I waited for the sales VP to call at the appointed time, but never heard anything.
    After 20 minutes, I called the administrative contact and was told that an emergency had occurred.

The following Monday, the recruiter contacted me to let me know that a more qualified candidate had been found. I understand that this can happen, but I was thinking about the sales VP who never called. I realized that the other candidate was either an internal transfer or an external candidate with deep business connections.

The next day, the administrative contact called to confirm the upcoming meeting with the executive.
    At this point I was confused and I contacted the recruiter, because I did not want the executive to think that I was a "no show".

No matter how innovative CommVault is, I don't think that I would ever engage in discussions for another position again. The 2nd recruiter was very good but I could hear in his voice that he was embarrassed with what happened. I was uncomfortable, too - it made me feel that if I was an employee, the company would shove me aside for someone "newer" or "shinier".

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question - I was asked if I had business or technology contacts in a vertical segment that they wanted to open as new business. Even though I had the contacts, I said "not really" because the position was supposed to be a pure technology role, not business development   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at CommVault.

Applied at college career fair. Got an email that evening asking me to appear for a coding test at college the next day. It was a tough test...3 programs in 30 minutes. I did really horribly.

A month later I get a call saying they want an interview. I scheduled it for the week after. I got no details from them regarding what position they were interviewing for or what type of questions they would ask..even when i specifically asked for these details in an email.

first round was a phone interview. 45 minutes long. i was asked basic questions on my prior experience and my resume. i clearly mentioned that i have no testing knowledge and no software background. interviewer was very friendly and asked me to develop test cases for an atm machine. he explained exactly what he wanted and told me what specifics my answer should cover. after this I was told they would get back within 2 weeks but i heard absolutely nothing from them for around one and a half months.

next phone interview session of about one and a half hour. 4 different people called and spoke to me. each of them asked me how much i knew about testing. i again told them i had no knowledge of testing and i have no software background. so they asked me questions on my resume, a few basic technical questions on sql. I had taken up cloud computing as a course during that semester. so concepts on that like what hadoop was and how AWS works, virtual memory etc. questions on operating systems..certain DOS commands..easy stuff...then one guy asked me to develop test cases for software recovery and backup system. I said whatever i could think of. then other people asked me questions on why i want this position and some questions on latest trends in technology. Overall it was a great interview. again i heard nothing from them for more than a month. then i wrote an email asking for an update. two weeks after that i get another call.

Half an hour interview with questions purely contained to my resume and my grad projects. Nothing more or less.

Software Developer - NetSuite Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanport, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CommVault.

Met CommVault at University Career Fair... Was emailed to set up an interview immediately following the fair... Met them 5 days later at Oceanport Office. Had quick laid-back interview, very conversational. Interviewed with 3 people that I would be working with. Very comfortable, no technical questions asked.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Met the at career booth, asked me about difference between Java and C++. Then I got a 30min coding testing the next day with bunch of other candidates. The test involve 3 problem, kinda like leetcode, one about linklist, one tree and one string manipulation.Really time intensive, only did two.

Interview Questions
    • give you the preorder and postorder print of tree nodes, reconstruct the tree.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at CommVault in February 2014.

It was the first technical interview, and I and bunch of people had to solve some programming questions in a big room. We had 90 minutes to solve 3 algorithm questions. The questions are not that easy or not that hard. But you can use internet freely during the test.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were related to data structure problems such as linked list, tree, etc. You code in a web browser, and it's tricky. It is basically just like using a memo pad.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanport, NJ

I applied through university and the process took a day - interviewed via phone in February 2014. It was a technical interview and questions based on C++ were asked. The interviewer didn't really give me an option to choose my computer language preference, he just asked me whether I'm comfortable in C++ or not? When I said I'm comfortable in java he still said he will ask questions in C++!

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum number of anagrams in a given string of characters.   Answer Question

Sales Engineering Manager Interview

6 rounds of interviews and managed through 100% contractors. Even salary negotiation was done via contractor.

Interview Questions
    Odd, handled 100% contractors.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CommVault in October 2013.

Commvault had visited our campus for the career fair. Some of us got a mail the same night to attend a programming challenge the next day at the University.
    There were three programs with 5,6,7 marks. They instructed us to solve any one first and then attempt the others.
    Question were : Convert a number to binary, Find if a loop exists in a Linked List. Can't recall the third one.
    It was a online compiler type interview. So you had to write, compile execute and pass their tests.

I then got a mail for a telephonic. The guy asked me just one question.
    char *a="something";
    Is this valid or invalid. Give reasons.
    Then what would
    strlen(a) return?

The next question was what is sizeof.

That's it. Simple basic stuff.

Software Developer Interview

Round 1 - aptitude and c output/debugging (1.5 hrs - 45 questions)
    Round 2 - writing c programs (1.5 hrs - 5 questions)