CommVault Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2014
Updated Oct 12, 2014

3.1

Software Test Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at CommVault.

Applied at college career fair. Got an email that evening asking me to appear for a coding test at college the next day. It was a tough test...3 programs in 30 minutes. I did really horribly.

A month later I get a call saying they want an interview. I scheduled it for the week after. I got no details from them regarding what position they were interviewing for or what type of questions they would ask..even when i specifically asked for these details in an email.

first round was a phone interview. 45 minutes long. i was asked basic questions on my prior experience and my resume. i clearly mentioned that i have no testing knowledge and no software background. interviewer was very friendly and asked me to develop test cases for an atm machine. he explained exactly what he wanted and told me what specifics my answer should cover. after this I was told they would get back within 2 weeks but i heard absolutely nothing from them for around one and a half months.

next phone interview session of about one and a half hour. 4 different people called and spoke to me. each of them asked me how much i knew about testing. i again told them i had no knowledge of testing and i have no software background. so they asked me questions on my resume, a few basic technical questions on sql. I had taken up cloud computing as a course during that semester. so concepts on that like what hadoop was and how AWS works, virtual memory etc. questions on operating systems..certain DOS commands..easy stuff...then one guy asked me to develop test cases for software recovery and backup system. I said whatever i could think of. then other people asked me questions on why i want this position and some questions on latest trends in technology. Overall it was a great interview. again i heard nothing from them for more than a month. then i wrote an email asking for an update. two weeks after that i get another call.

Half an hour interview with questions purely contained to my resume and my grad projects. Nothing more or less.

Software Developer - NetSuite Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanport, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at CommVault.

Met CommVault at University Career Fair... Was emailed to set up an interview immediately following the fair... Met them 5 days later at Oceanport Office. Had quick laid-back interview, very conversational. Interviewed with 3 people that I would be working with. Very comfortable, no technical questions asked.

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Met the at career booth, asked me about difference between Java and C++. Then I got a 30min coding testing the next day with bunch of other candidates. The test involve 3 problem, kinda like leetcode, one about linklist, one tree and one string manipulation.Really time intensive, only did two.

Interview Questions
    • give you the preorder and postorder print of tree nodes, reconstruct the tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at CommVault in February 2014.

It was the first technical interview, and I and bunch of people had to solve some programming questions in a big room. We had 90 minutes to solve 3 algorithm questions. The questions are not that easy or not that hard. But you can use internet freely during the test.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were related to data structure problems such as linked list, tree, etc. You code in a web browser, and it's tricky. It is basically just like using a memo pad.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanport, NJ

I applied through university and the process took a day - interviewed via phone in February 2014. It was a technical interview and questions based on C++ were asked. The interviewer didn't really give me an option to choose my computer language preference, he just asked me whether I'm comfortable in C++ or not? When I said I'm comfortable in java he still said he will ask questions in C++!

Interview Questions
    • Find the maximum number of anagrams in a given string of characters.   Answer Question

Sales Engineering Manager Interview

6 rounds of interviews and managed through 100% contractors. Even salary negotiation was done via contractor.

Interview Questions
    Odd, handled 100% contractors.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CommVault in October 2013.

Commvault had visited our campus for the career fair. Some of us got a mail the same night to attend a programming challenge the next day at the University.
    There were three programs with 5,6,7 marks. They instructed us to solve any one first and then attempt the others.
    Question were : Convert a number to binary, Find if a loop exists in a Linked List. Can't recall the third one.
    It was a online compiler type interview. So you had to write, compile execute and pass their tests.

I then got a mail for a telephonic. The guy asked me just one question.
    char *a="something";
    Is this valid or invalid. Give reasons.
    Then what would
    strlen(a) return?

The next question was what is sizeof.

That's it. Simple basic stuff.

Software Developer Interview

Round 1 - aptitude and c output/debugging (1.5 hrs - 45 questions)
    Round 2 - writing c programs (1.5 hrs - 5 questions)

Software Engineer Interview

Email from manager. Scheduled a phone interview. Had three telephonic with diff teams. Then got an email saying hiring has been stopped.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked about js, IIS, datasets, some programming (send code later) directory structure design and traversal and sort two sorted arrays   Answer Question

Java Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oceanport, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CommVault in March 2013.

2 Telephonic Interviews. Onsite Interview after a test. Onsite interview has a code test 3-4 interviews.

The first onsite-interviewer was extremely rude. He was cutting me short, smiling when I answered wrong, was telling me I was wrong before I could finish writing some code. He left before his time was over. I had a feeling he was not interested in recruiting me, right from the beginning.

Most of the interviewers were asking Threading questions, which I initially claimed I had no experience in.

Interview Questions
    • Have you memorized this answer? (I wanted to swear at him when he went out).   Answer Question