Command Transportation

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Skokie, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation in January 2013.

Interview Details – One phone interview, then they will bring you in and give you a round of interviews. Generally one of the two top HR reps will come in, one of the new HR reps will come in and then one of the upper managements will come in. It is fast and direct.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here? I understand that this question is on 95% of job interviews, but to be able to come up with a solid reason to want to broker freight is far more difficult than it seems. I answered with "to make money" and they all seemed to enjoy that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They lay everything out for you and it is take it or leave it.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Executive Interview

Sales Executive
Skokie, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Command Transportation.

Interview Details – Short video and asked a couple weeks later to come in for one on one interview. Before the interview you are asked to complete a short test over time zones.

Interview Question – Sale yourself to me   Answer Question

Sales/Account Executive Interview

Sales/Account Executive
Skokie, IL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation in April 2014.

Interview Details – Like the other reviews describe, Command has a very casual feel to their interview process, but this is because they are trying to get you to let your guard down so they can discover if you have the right personality for the job. I was contacted by phone 3 weeks after I applied online. In the phone interview she asked me general questions to get to know me and my job history and some typical interview questions like "name 3 words to describe yourself." I was scheduled for an interview the next day. I took a map/time zone test, and a math word problem test. Then, I was given a quick tour of the office, shadowed the two different types of account executives and had 1 on 1 interviews with two other people from HR.

I was expecting more of the traditional interview questions, but the first girl asked several questions about what I thought about my experience shadowing the carrier and customer account executives and other questions about how I would fit with the job (such as "do you think you would feel comfortable talking on the phone all day"). She asked a little bit about my job history and my goals. She did ask me what I believe was a trick question (see below).
The other interviewer was the head of HR. Most of his questions were not as structured as you might think. The interviewers are trying to get a feel for how you communicate and how confidently you communicate which is why the interviews are not as traditional. (See my advice below)

Interview Questions

• What other companys are you applying at?   View Answer
  • Do you think a job here on the top floor would suit you better?   View Answer

Skokie, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation in April 2013.

Interview Details – Basic interview process, know the state map and simple math.

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Skokie, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation.

Interview Details – I heard of Command Transportation through a career fair at my school. I signed up at their booth and was contacted afterwards. I applied online and then had to do a video interview. After that I was invited to their office for an interview.The interview was pretty casual like the office. There was nothing that really surprised me. Most questions were behavioral based and they wanted to get to know your personality. I spent time with a person on both sides of their sales team. Both of the people I shadowed were very friendly and they tried to show me what a typical day consisted of. After that I spoke to separate recruiters where they asked me questions. They don't really put you on the spot they just want you to be yourself to see if you would be a good fit.

Interview Question – The questions that they asked were not very difficult. An unexpected question was describe your dream job but for me that was only difficult because the job was not what I ultimately wanted to do.   Answer Question

Account Executive

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation.

Interview Details – Approached their HR representatives at an on-campus career fair. Was asked to do a next day interview while during a casual conversation. About a week later was called by another HR representative to set up an on-site interview. The onsite interview consisted of an office tour (gorgeous office) followed by a session with a carrier Account Executive, a customer Account Executive, and then three interviews with more HR representatives. All in all it was good experience to have, especially considering how many people you actually get to meet during the process.

Interview Question – What didn't you like about the office?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Carrier Interview

Carrier
Kansas City, KS

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Command Transportation in October 2013.

Interview Details – Easy going interview process. Invited to Kansas City after job-fair interview. Introduction to working envoronment and good understanding of the culture while on-site

Interview Question – What am I looking for in a career there?   Answer Question

Skokie, IL

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Command Transportation.

Interview Details – I was supposed to record myself answering interview questions through a third party interview site, but it would not load so instead I conducted a phone interview with a person from HR. I was then asked to come to the HQ and interview there. I sat down with three different people from HR and shadowed two employees. This was the final step in the interview process, and it took about 2 hours.

Interview Question – You take a map test   Answer Question

Sales/Account Executive Interview

Sales/Account Executive
Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Command Transportation in January 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a bizarre video interview, just me talking to a camera. Invited to second round at the Chicago office. They keep you off guard by being very casual but thats because they are looking for confidence and how well you can communicate, thats pretty much what this job is all about.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult, I tried to keep the interview in my hands the whole time, keep talking and show good body language and mainly confidence.

Remember they are looking for someone upbeat and hardworking, never show that the long hours could be a problem.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – its entry level, nothing to negotiate...38 base, not bad, its actually a little higher than other firms start

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Command Transportation in December 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process began with a phone interview asking simple questions as they tried to get know you. This led to setting up an interview in person. The in person interview took approximately 2 hours to complete. I was shown the different aspects of the sales team which included the customer side and carrier side. After that , the formal interview took place with 3 different individuals. Each one of them asked some general personality questions and why I was interested in a position at Command.

Interview Question – If another job popped up in your specified area, what would stop you from leaving Command and joining them?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Due to personal reasons I declined the offer. Command would be a great opportunity for recent graduates and if you can survive on the low starting salary for a year you have a lot of potential to make a lot of money.

Worked for Command Transportation? Contribute to the Community!