Commonwealth Bank of Australia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.9

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Interview

Great interview process, was thoroughly impressed with the technical knowledge of my interviewers. Great HR staff too, provided good feedback. Unfortunately missed out on the role due to lack of experience in certain areas, which I'm working on improving before applying again.

Interview Questions

• What challenges do you see arising from transitioning from academia to a bank environment.   Answer Question

Financial Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Sydney (Australia)).

Interview

Online Application:
    -Standard questions
    Online Testing:
    -Standard 3 part-test
    Phone Interview:
    -What was the best advice you ever received?
    Assessment Centre
    -Interview with line manager
       -Varies greatly depending on who you get as interviewer.
       -Protip: "financial services" encompasses a vast range of divisions which are all very different from each other. Find out what they are, what they do and perhaps which one(s) you're interested in
    -Group case study

Overall process was not too bad. If they promise to get back to you by a certain date don't be alarmed if you hear nothing from them. They're sometimes late. But they will call you whether or not you were successful (at least after the assessment centre. To give you some feedback on how you might improve. Which is nice of them)

Interview Questions

• What was the best advice you ever received?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia in March 2015.

Interview

Online application (questions about employment history, customer service etc), followed by online testing for cash-counting speed and precision and multiple choice behavioural questions, workplace and customer service oriented.
    Phone interview with HR, questions about handling stress, meeting sales targets, why you're applying for this job.
    Further online testing - 100+ multiple choice questions asking the same ~6 questions over and over in different ways (to gauge personality type I suppose) - impossible to answer to self-satisfaction, be as honest as possible.
    Face-to-face interview with branch manager and assistant manager. They were chatty and friendly and wanted to know about me before commencing formal interview. Lots of sales and customer service related questions. Got offered the position (unofficially) pending background check the same day. Lodged police check, gave permission for third party to contact references etc. Formal job offer eight days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an unhappy customer - how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Sydney (Australia)) in February 2015.

Interview

1.online application
    2.schduled phone interview. generic questions only.
    3.online aptitude test. Basic SMH test,numerical ,introductive, psychometric.
    4.assessment centre.4 hours, includes individual interview and group activity and a written exercise. Really relaxing and friendly environment. Had a chance to talk with program executives and hr team during the morning tea break and lunch. Nothing to be worried about. Just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• generic questions about motivations, relevant experience and career aspirations and behavioural question.   Answer Question

Financial Advice Assessor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Sydney (Australia)) in February 2015.

Interview

I searched the job on its website and applied for it. After 1 month, HR sent me an email to book an phone interview. After the interview, they send me a SHL test link and asked me to finish it within 72 hours. Got a call from HR said I did well in SHL test and invited me to attend the Assessment Centre.

Interview Questions

• Any industry related work experience?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Interview

I was directly contacted by the HR at CBA and was after a brief conversation regarding previous experience/skill sets was assigned a date for the next phone interview. The phone interview was quite straight forward (mostly behavioural) and a positive experience.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia (Sydney (Australia)) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Graduate Lawyer position. Started with a 15 min phone interview that consisted of behavioural type questions. The next stage was a 1 hour interview in their CBD office. Basically just used the STAR interview model. The last step was a final interview that focused on my legal drafting experience.

Interview Questions

• When have you overcome a difficult situation and what skills did you use to achieve this.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Interview

I had 2 interviews. The first interview was focused on technical skills and personality. Second interview was with Executive Manager. The process was fairly simple and lasted for about 3 weeks. After second Interview, I was offered a job and couple of weeks to join the team.

Interview Questions

• How I responded when my project was in critical situations?   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

Interview

1. Find Job Vac from website posted by CBA directly, filled online application form and sent e-CV to CBA HR websystem

2. more than 2 weeks, the first phone call coming in from HR, background profile check

3. 2 hrs online technical testing

4. 2 round of technical interview

5. 1 round of manager interview

6. after roughly 1.5 weeks interview process(step 3 - step 5), got HR oral offer

Interview Questions

• subjective questions from manager interview   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, the offer they given me is fair compare my previous income level, so accept it, then plan to use my real performance to gain more

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Interview

Application stage: Completion of online cash counting

First stage: Phone interview by HR Team: questions of how to handle stress, sales experiences, knowledge of company

Second stage: Face to face interview with branch manager: includes role play and several behavioral questions

Final stage: Review by third party for: resume, past work experiences and police checks

Interview Questions

• Give us me an example of a time where you were put into a situation of great amounts of stress, how did you cope?   Answer Question