Commonwealth of Kentucky Interview Questions

2.9

Caseworker DCBS Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Interview

Group Interview. 3 supervisors sit on one side of a table and ask "Form" questions, such as "Tell me about a time you had to do something challenging", "Tell me about a time you had a difficult interaction at work", etc...

Negotiation

none

Patient Aid II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Interview

Online application was lengthy, but once its in the system its just a matter of verifying your information if you apply for any other State job. I received an email within 3 days requesting a call to schedule an interview. The interview was scheduled within 10 days.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about a dozen questions about previous experience in the field, my best and worst costumer service experience.   Answer Question

Family Support Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky.

Interview

It was a very long process. It took a long time to hear from them for the interview. It also took a long time to receive the job offer following the interview. I believe it was at least 6 months altogether from the time I applied to the time I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you were treated rudely by a customer and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary was non-negotiable.

Systems Consultant IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Frankfort, KY).

Interview

Had 5 interviews with Kentucky. Mostly of questionable professionalism, due to people who are underpaid and underqualified interviewing people who are more skilled than they. The "head programmer" that interviewed me couldn't come up with anything more than the most rudimentary database questions. Then they lowballed me an offer than was over $10,000 less than I made.

Interview Questions

• Ha. The most difficult question was probably, "How can you improve performance of a database?" I gave them 5 or 6 ways. This question is a joke.   Answer Question

They were offering pay I made in 1995.

Office Support Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Harlan, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Harlan, KY).

Interview

Applied through the state applaication portal. It was nearly a month before I was contaced by the third means of communication listed on my application, not sure why they chose to do this. Interviewed by the individual who would become my supervisor along with supervisors of other offices in the area. Basic "name a time" interview questions.

Interview Questions

• While not that difficult on a 1-10 scale the question of "despite your education work history and background why whould I hire you?" gave me pause for a moment.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was supplied with the job description and salary estimate, along with the description of the benifits pacage at the conclusion of the interview.

Social Service Worker I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky in March 2013.

Interview

Behaviorial Interview with 3 supervisors. Typical behavorial questions, about your past successes, mistakes, what action did you take, conflicts with coworkers or supervisors.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a coworker and what did you do about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

REVENUE AUDITOR Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfort, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Frankfort, KY) in June 2012.

Interview

My interview was a little different than most. At the time they were hiring 50 people in the whole Department of Revenue so I interviewed with 4 managers from 4 different Offices.

Interview Questions

• All questions were the basic interview questions and everyone was extremely friendly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation with any State Government position.

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Frankfort, KY) in May 2012.

Interview

Behavioral question interview

Technical Writer (IT Branch) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Frankfort, KY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Frankfort, KY) in March 2012.

Interview

This was a position filled by the Commonwealth of Kentucky via an employment/staffing service. Multiple candidates were presented from different agencies that the Commonwealth partners with. In my case, the agency went through a screening process that included a phone interview and verifying credentials on my resume. In the phone interview, the agency asked questions about my interest in the position, prior experience, and desired pay. Once the agency was happy with the results and a target pay rate was negotiated, they set up an interview with members of the IT Branch at the Commonwealth. The IT Branch wanted to conduct the interview with a small group. Representatives of the agency were not present once I went inside the Commonwealth building and signed in.

Interview Questions

• How would you define social engineering? (This was in the context of information security.)   1 Answer

Air Quality Inspector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ashland, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Commonwealth of Kentucky (Ashland, KY) in April 2010.

Interview

The hiring manager called me to set up an interview, which I appreciated because I don't like members of HR making the phone calls. We set up a phone interview since I was living 1,000 miles away at the time. A couple of days later, I decided I would rather interview in person and see the office environment. So, I called the office (the Department for Environmental Protection's Ashland regional office) to tell them I would meet them in person instead, which they said was fine. I drove 1,000 miles for the interview, and the interview was on my birthday. This was probably unnecessary and a little crazy of me to do instead of just doing a phone interview, but I really prefer in-person interviews. I sat in the reception area for about ten minutes and then was called in by the hiring manager who had made the initial phone call. Everyone in the office was wearing extremely casual clothing, and I think the office environment is very informal. She told me a lot about the position and about the struggles air quality field inspectors, especially females, face in that area of Kentucky. This information was very helpful. Then she suddenly jumped into a set of standard interview questions and told me anecdotes in between my responses to her questions. This format felt a little awkward because it interrupted the flow of the interview, and I had to try to make conversation with her about various topics while trying to focus on my responses. I guess the positive thing about this format is that I could try to relax and take some deep breaths between questions. I got the impression that she hadn't carefully read my application, because she asked me some things that she could have picked up very easily by skimming my application. I wasn't impressed by this. At the end of the interview, she gave me some regulations and a photo. I was supposed to use the regulations and my knowledge to interpret what was going wrong in the photo from an environmental protection perspective. She left the room and said she would give me 10 minutes to finish the task. The task was easy, and I ended up sitting in the room for about 15 minutes. I thought it would be awkward to leave the room and try to track her down to tell her I had finished. When she returned, she barely listened to my response to the task and instead just told me what she thought of the situation portrayed in the photo. She told me she would be making a decision in one week. Well, I never received a response. I think it is unbelievable that I would travel 2,000 miles round trip to attend an interview and not be reimbursed for my expenses, and she didn't' even have the courtesy to send me a rejection letter or to call me. She gave me a bad impression of Kentucky's state government, whether that is fair to say or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you misinterpreted a situation or something someone said, and describe how you corrected the situation.   Answer Question