Commonwealth of Massachusetts Interview Questions

Updated Mar 17, 2015
Updated Mar 17, 2015

2.6

Epidemiologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I received an email for the on site interview within two weeks of closing date. I met three potential coworkers and was asked about mostly problem-solving skills in epidemiology. Nothing unexpected and everyone was professional and friendly. I was offered a second interview, but unprepared for some of the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you solve a situation when one of your team member is not cooperative?   Answer Question

Field Auditor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I found the position posted online. I submitted my resume and cover letter electronically and was contacted for an interview 6 days later. I scheduled an interview which took place two weeks later. I interviewed with two supervisors. The interview lasted approximately one hour. We discussed my qualifications and previous employment history. They were particularly interested in my ability to handle conflict and my writing skills. It was a relaxed interview. Approximately two weeks later, I was contacted for a second interview. I met with two managers at that time. Once again, we talked for about one hour. During this interview, they mainly told me about the position and benefits. It was very informal.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. However, several questions were asked regarding conflict management/resolution.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. HR does a salary of determination, and that's that.

Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I received an initial e-mail to set-up a first round interview in-person with a note from the secretary coordinating the process to set aside 2 hours. The interview consisted of a 1-hour meeting with four panelists of peers, including the incumbent, and featured mainly behavioral interview questions relevant to the position. Nothing left-field. Following the panel interview there was a surprise 30-minute, timed writing assessment. I concluded this round on Thursday and received an e-mail from the secretary on Monday morning that I'd been selected for the second round (nothing about the interview process was described in the interview, so I was a bit surprised as to the structure), which would be an interview with the position that supervises the one to which I was applying. I was an out-of-state applicant, so I negotiated to conduct the interview virtually, and the secretary informed me that a third interview would have to be conducted in-person (again, that there was another step in the interview process was news to me). I interviewed virtually for the second round and have not heard back from the office since then.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview featured standard behavioral questions, but the second interview asked somewhat bizarre questions (e.g. tell me about a time when you had the audacity to push forward an initiative, what you did, outcomes, etc.) - still remains the only time I've ever heard "audacity" put forth in a positive connotation.   Answer Question

Assistant District Attorney Interview

3 step interview. Phone screening, sit down interview with other ADA's. Sit down interview with senior staff. Process is intense as job comes with a lot of responsibility and has steep learning curve.

Policy Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts in July 2014.

Applied in commonwealth website, soon later I was contacted via email to set up and appointment. After they appointment they asked that I submit a writing sample. It's only been a day or two since the interview and I was told to expect a call or email for either a second interview or a job offer two weeks from now because they are still interviewing people. The interviewers were really professional and easy to talk to and the questions were fair. Hope I get the job. At one point during the interview I got a two thumbs up from the chief of staff. Seems like a good sign to me.

Interview Questions
    • What aspect of your current job do you enjoy the most and then are you a fast learner   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Usually you get an email or a call to arrange an interview after you have applied. Typically weeks later. Occasionally less. Often there is only one interview with a group of people. There are no special tests but you will need to pass a CORI.

Interview Questions
    • They do ask the same questions of every candidate and then rate you.   Answer Question

Law Clerk Interview

Interviewed by the assistant attorney general along with another member of the office. Was asked detailed questions about my construction background because they handle home improvement contractor hearings. I wasn't asked a lot of legal questions. They were just trying to get a feel of who I was to see if I would mesh with their team.

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Called in and sat for several interviews. Sat with a panel that ranged from 3 to as many as 10 people from the agency that asked about 10 questions. Questions were about disabilities, importance of diversity, getting along with co-workers, job placement and development and rehab counseling. Some questions were behavioral and you were given a scenario and asked to discuss what would you do. Interviewers are matter of fact and generally unfriendly. I was told to expect this coming into it because it was done to minimize bias.

Interview Questions
    • May be asked about protocol, policy and procedure. If you lack professional work experience these may be hard questions to answer off the cuff.   View Answer

Education Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malden, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malden, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts in February 2014.

Organized and systematic- The interviewers were welcoming and warm. They were very positive and straight to the point. They kept me informed of the next step which eased anxiety and aided in the preparation leaving previous job. The main down fall was due to extraneous factors which slowed down the process.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Online application (cover letter, resume, recommendations). Phone interview with intern coordinator, followed a few days later by a phone interview with the department head. Both lasted about 30 minutes and were friendly and conversational - questions were fairly standard (resume questions, career future, etc.) - nothing unexpected or very surprising.

Interview Questions
    • What part of the Governor's policy agenda are you most interested in?   Answer Question