Commonwealth of Massachusetts Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2015

2.6

Records Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

Applied online. I was working as a temp employee within a different unit of the lab, Was informed by HR about an in-person interview. Basic interview with (2) supervisors and (1) HR representative. The questions were all focused on my prior experience and why I believe I am a strong candidate for the position. Overall process was very long, though. 6+ months from when I applied. The background check took several weeks.

Interview Questions

• Mostly questions about ethics and how my experience applies to this opening.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts in May 2015.

Interview

Posted in December of 2014; Interviewed May 2015; Interview was done by three persons; references have been checked but still have not heard anything or no feedback; Took over 6 months to get the call for interview; staff was very nice once interviewed; never heard anything again not sure if or when they filled the position; no follow up letter or phone calls

Intern Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

The interview process was very efficient. I met with two upper level managers for 45 minutes. They generally asked my about my resume and my interest in working for the Division. I received a phone call informing me that I was selected for the internship by the end of the week.

Environmental Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Boston, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

It is a long hiring process. It took about a month after I applied online to be contacted for an interview. Then there was another month or two after the interview before I heard any updates. The interview is largely about your skills and experiences as it relates to the position. Some questions are very specific/technical. If you know the topic well, the interview will seem easy/average in difficulty. I ended up being a top candidate, but the offer went to someone with more experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you handled conflict in the workplace and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Epidemiologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

I received an email for the on site interview within two weeks of closing date. I met three potential coworkers and was asked about mostly problem-solving skills in epidemiology. Nothing unexpected and everyone was professional and friendly. I was offered a second interview, but unprepared for some of the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you solve a situation when one of your team member is not cooperative?   Answer Question

Field Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

I found the position posted online. I submitted my resume and cover letter electronically and was contacted for an interview 6 days later. I scheduled an interview which took place two weeks later. I interviewed with two supervisors. The interview lasted approximately one hour. We discussed my qualifications and previous employment history. They were particularly interested in my ability to handle conflict and my writing skills. It was a relaxed interview. Approximately two weeks later, I was contacted for a second interview. I met with two managers at that time. Once again, we talked for about one hour. During this interview, they mainly told me about the position and benefits. It was very informal.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. However, several questions were asked regarding conflict management/resolution.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. HR does a salary of determination, and that's that.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

I received an initial e-mail to set-up a first round interview in-person with a note from the secretary coordinating the process to set aside 2 hours. The interview consisted of a 1-hour meeting with four panelists of peers, including the incumbent, and featured mainly behavioral interview questions relevant to the position. Nothing left-field. Following the panel interview there was a surprise 30-minute, timed writing assessment. I concluded this round on Thursday and received an e-mail from the secretary on Monday morning that I'd been selected for the second round (nothing about the interview process was described in the interview, so I was a bit surprised as to the structure), which would be an interview with the position that supervises the one to which I was applying. I was an out-of-state applicant, so I negotiated to conduct the interview virtually, and the secretary informed me that a third interview would have to be conducted in-person (again, that there was another step in the interview process was news to me). I interviewed virtually for the second round and have not heard back from the office since then.

Interview Questions

• The first interview featured standard behavioral questions, but the second interview asked somewhat bizarre questions (e.g. tell me about a time when you had the audacity to push forward an initiative, what you did, outcomes, etc.) - still remains the only time I've ever heard "audacity" put forth in a positive connotation.   Answer Question

Assistant District Attorney Interview

Interview

3 step interview. Phone screening, sit down interview with other ADA's. Sit down interview with senior staff. Process is intense as job comes with a lot of responsibility and has steep learning curve.

Policy Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Boston, MA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied in commonwealth website, soon later I was contacted via email to set up and appointment. After they appointment they asked that I submit a writing sample. It's only been a day or two since the interview and I was told to expect a call or email for either a second interview or a job offer two weeks from now because they are still interviewing people. The interviewers were really professional and easy to talk to and the questions were fair. Hope I get the job. At one point during the interview I got a two thumbs up from the chief of staff. Seems like a good sign to me.

Interview Questions

• What aspect of your current job do you enjoy the most and then are you a fast learner   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Interview

Usually you get an email or a call to arrange an interview after you have applied. Typically weeks later. Occasionally less. Often there is only one interview with a group of people. There are no special tests but you will need to pass a CORI.

Interview Questions

• They do ask the same questions of every candidate and then rate you.   Answer Question